Apple IIGS disk images

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Arwen4CJ

Apple IIGS disk images

Post by Arwen4CJ »

I have some disk images that I use with Apple IIGS emulators. I noticed that ScummVM is supposed to support the Apple IIGS games, and I've found the list of files that are needed. I figured it couldn't hurt to include all the files in a game file.

The problem is that these files are in a format that is required for emulators -- they are disk images of the entire disk. ScummVM doesn't seem to be able to recognize them as games.

What do I need to do to get them to play in ScummVM?

Thanks.
Strangerke
ScummVM Developer

Post by Strangerke »

Hi Arwen4CJ

Do you have your original disks too, so we may explain you how to extract the required files?

Regards,
Strangerke
Arwen4CJ

Post by Arwen4CJ »

Strangerke wrote:Hi Arwen4CJ

Do you have your original disks too, so we may explain you how to extract the required files?

Regards,
Strangerke
I do have the original disks, but I can only play them on my real Apple IIGS.

I tried copying the disks to my computer, so I have the copies of the originals on my computer now.
Arwen4CJ

Post by Arwen4CJ »

Arwen4CJ wrote:
Strangerke wrote:Hi Arwen4CJ

Regards,
Strangerke
I do have the original disks, but I can only play them on my real Apple IIGS.

I tried copying the disks to my computer, so I have the copies of the originals on my computer now.
I also need to state that the King's Quest games have more than one disk. I saw the post about multiple disks, but they seem to be talking more about CDs than disks. I assume the situation would be similar, but I just wanted to check. Thank you.
Graxer

Post by Graxer »

Arwen4CJ wrote:I also need to state that the King's Quest games have more than one disk. I saw the post about multiple disks, but they seem to be talking more about CDs than disks. I assume the situation would be similar, but I just wanted to check. Thank you.
With ScummVM you act the same with disks as with CDs. Copy all the required files from each disk into a single folder on your hard drive. When you point ScummVM to that folder you should be able to play the complete game.

Look here to see what files you will need to play your game:

http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Datafiles#AGI

It's in the AGI section of that page that I am linking directly to, as that is the category that King's Quest and many of Sierras early adventures fall under.
Arwen4CJ

Post by Arwen4CJ »

Graxer wrote:
Arwen4CJ wrote:I also need to state that the King's Quest games have more than one disk. I saw the post about multiple disks, but they seem to be talking more about CDs than disks. I assume the situation would be similar, but I just wanted to check. Thank you.
With ScummVM you act the same with disks as with CDs. Copy all the required files from each disk into a single folder on your hard drive. When you point ScummVM to that folder you should be able to play the complete game.

Look here to see what files you will need to play your game:

http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Datafiles#AGI

It's in the AGI section of that page that I am linking directly to, as that is the category that King's Quest and many of Sierras early adventures fall under.
Someone outside of this forum helped me get into the disk images so that I could actually see what was on the disk images -- so that I could get the files off of it.

I see the list of required files at the links you provided.

The next problem comes with the multiple disks. How do I know if the content on the disks is the same? What I mean is most of the disks have Vol 0 -- how do I know if that is the same content on both disks?

What I'm really asking is -- how do I know when I can just use one file for the entire game, and how do I know when I need to label them 1 and 2 and 3?

For example:
KQ 2 disk 1 has these files in it that I need
SIERRASTANDARD
LOGDIR
VOL.1
VOL.0
PICDIR
VIEWDIR
SINDDIR
OBJECT
WORDS.TOK
KQ2.SYS16

Disk 2 has these files:
VOL.2
VOL.0
OBJECT

So -- how am I to know whether VOL.0 is the same on both disks? How am I to know whether Object is the same on both disks?

The same thing can be asked about the other disks.
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

Arwen4CJ wrote:So -- how am I to know whether VOL.0 is the same on both disks? How am I to know whether Object is the same on both disks?
Because it is the same.
Arwen4CJ

Post by Arwen4CJ »

clone2727 wrote:
Arwen4CJ wrote:So -- how am I to know whether VOL.0 is the same on both disks? How am I to know whether Object is the same on both disks?
Because it is the same.
All right...so then I just need one Object and one Vol 0, correct?
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

Arwen4CJ wrote:
clone2727 wrote:
Because it is the same.
All right...so then I just need one Object and one Vol 0, correct?
Yes
Maxor127

Post by Maxor127 »

I saw your post on Sierra Help, too. I recommend using KEGS or Sweet16 for IIgs games. Last I checked, ScummVM didn't support sound for IIgs games. I replied to your Sierra Help thread, too. If you're having trouble with disk images, I can direct you to some that should work.

If you need any help running IIgs games, PM me. IIgs Sierra games are my specialty.
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

Maxor127 wrote:Last I checked, ScummVM didn't support sound for IIgs games.
We do have some (most?) of the IIgs sound support in there.
Arwen4CJ

Post by Arwen4CJ »

Maxor127 wrote:I saw your post on Sierra Help, too. I recommend using KEGS or Sweet16 for IIgs games. Last I checked, ScummVM didn't support sound for IIgs games. I replied to your Sierra Help thread, too. If you're having trouble with disk images, I can direct you to some that should work.

If you need any help running IIgs games, PM me. IIgs Sierra games are my specialty.
Yes, I posted in Sierra Help as well :)

I have both Kegs and Sweet16 installed on my computer. Both seem to work fine. The problem I have with Sweet16 is that it doesn't like my copy of disk 1 of King's Quest II. I also couldn't get it to play any 5.25 disk image.

I can get 5.25 images to play on Kegs, and I can also get disk 1 of King's Quest II to play. The only problem is that the program knows that my disk 1 is a copy of the original disk.

I transferred all my disks from my real IIGS to my Mac using ADTPro. Even though I used my original disks to copy from, the disk has some sort of copy protection on it that doesn't allow the disk image to recognize it as an original disk. That's my main issue with King's Quest II.

As a test, I checked all four of the games to see how they would run in ScummVM. They all seem to work (so far). They do have sound, which is awesome. The only thing that they don't seem to have with the sound is the opening music. There is some sound there, but it's not quite right....it's lacking some things, so it kind of sounds garbled. When you get into playing the games, the sounds do work, and they seem to work fairly well.

In King's Quest III, I tried kicking the cat. It lets out a cry that sounds to me like it sounded on the real GS. The other sounds like doors opening and things is also present.

It seems, then, that ScummVM has really worked on the sounds. The only thing that seems to be lacking is the intro music -- which again is there, but is garbled.

Yay! I have found someone who specializes in GS Sierra games :) I sent you a PM in response to the one you sent me. I'm sure that I will have some questions for you at some point :)
Arwen4CJ

Post by Arwen4CJ »

Oh, a friend recommended that I make a post about how I did get this working so that anyone else who needs help with the IIGS stuff can find it in this thread.

I have a Mac, running Snow Leopard. I also have VMWare Fusion, and I have XP installed on that. I copied all my disks from my real Apple IIGS onto my Mac using a program called ADTPro. I connected the Apple IIGS with the Mac using a serial cable and an adapter thingy that allowed me to connect the USB port on my computer with a serial cable. I also had to order an extra cord that plugged into the GS and plugged into the serial end of the adapter.

I could view what was on the disks in Finder on the Apple IIGS. (I had to load the System 6 disks in order to get GS Finder up -- this is going to be confusing because both the Mac and the GS have Finder.)

Once the copies of the original disks were on my Mac, the disk images all came in one file. When I opened the Finder on the Mac, all I could see was the disk image. I couldn't see the files within the disk image. My Mac can't read the Apple IIGS files, as it has no idea what they are.

So...I did some searching online and found another forum in which someone talked about a program called CiderPress. The thing is, though, that it only works in Windows. Therefore, I had to open Windows on my computer, which again is installed through VMWare Fusion.

I copied the disk images from Finder on the Mac into My Computer on XP. I downloaded Cider Press and copied that file over to Windows. (I don't like using IExplorer, which is the only browser I have on XP). Once I installed CiderPress, I looked for the Apple IIGS disk images in My Computer.

I right clicked on a disk image and then told it to open in CiderPress. The list of files came up, just as they had displayed in the GS Finder. I went up to File or one of the options in the program and told it I wanted to extract a file. (I had already selected the file I wanted to extract -- one of the ones required on the ScummVM list).

A window opened with a bunch of options. This part was confusing. At first, I just went with the defaults in the program. I extracted all the required files for KQ 1 this way. Then, I went to play it in ScummVM, and it wouldn't work. Sigh.

I found out that it had copied everything after the first file into a subfolder called Data. So, I cut those out of the subfolder and pasted them into the main part of the folder for the game. (I called the Folder KQ1). I tried it again...it still didn't work.

Then, I realized that all the files had some weird numbers attached to them after their names. I decided to try reextracting all the files with some of the options changed. I unchecked one of the default settings -- one that said something about preserving something or other. Once I did that and extracted the files again, there were no numbers after the files. Yay!

So then I tried it again, and it finally worked :)

I then repeated this process for games 2, 3, and 4.

So, then I copied all the files back over to Mac. Then I played it on my Mac copy of ScummVM. Still worked :)

I did have some confusion with the multiple disks. I wondered if the Vol 0 and the Object files were the same, but I had no idea of how to figure that out for sure. So I asked it on here. At the same time that I asked, however, I decided to take a look at my Dos copies of the games. (I also have the Dos copies of it from the main KQ collections - I have the 1997 and the 2006 KQ collections). I noticed that there was only one Vol 0 and only one Object file for each game. I assumed, then, that there was only one copy that I needed.

Still, it helped to receive the confirmations in this thread. :)

I might still come back with more questions, but I wanted to thank everyone who took the time to reply to my threads.

So...that's how I got the Apple IIGS games working in ScummVM :)
Maxor127

Post by Maxor127 »

It was a lot easier to use IIgs disk images on the old Macs before they got rid of the build in floppy drives. The IIgs disks could still get recognized with the proper software. External floppy drives don't work, though.
Last edited by Maxor127 on Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arwen4CJ

Post by Arwen4CJ »

Maxor127 wrote:It was a lot easier to use IIgs disk images on the old Macs before they got rid of the build in hard drives. The IIgs disks could still get recognized with the proper software. External disk drives don't work though.
Huh? My computer has a built in hard drive -- I'm confused.

I think the issue is that the OSX has no idea what the IIGS disk images are, so it doesn't know how to open the disk images. It just displays the entire disk image as one file. I don't know...maybe there is a way to get my computer to look inside of it, but I just don't know how to do that other than going to Cider Press.

I could probably do it through the Finder in one of the GS emulators -- either Kegs or Sweet16. Someone talked about doing something like that, but I got confused. The CiderPress option just seemed a little easier. I'd have to make some kind of hard drive disk image -- but I'm not sure how I would copy that into the Mac's Finder. It just sounded very confusing to me.