Just wanted to remind the devs...

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Dishy

Just wanted to remind the devs...

Post by Dishy »

Best piece of software ever. Thank you for all of your hard work. I keep up with all of the updates and secretly try to get games to work when they don't work well. (I've never made enough progress to contribute, though.)

Current install. A few are missing, I think:

http://i.imgur.com/jxNgo.jpg
Freddo

Post by Freddo »

With a game list like that, I can't help but to wonder how many of those games you actually bought.
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

Freddo wrote:With a game list like that, I can't help but to wonder how many of those games you actually bought.
That Zak FM-Towns copy was not cheap for sure ;-).
Dishy

Post by Dishy »

Freddo wrote:With a game list like that, I can't help but to wonder how many of those games you actually bought.
You should see my collection! Many of them yes. The "impossible to find" ones are a mixed bag and you may guess where they may have come from, but we won't get into that.

There are three main contributors to my ScummVM and Dosbox collections:

1. I was a kid of one of those "dad is trying to buy our love" relationships. So all of the SCI series games probably came from that mess. On the other hand, my mom was huge into Lucasarts games, so we always got them for birthdays, Christmas, etc. Somehow, I managed to keep nearly every item of PC gaming I had as a kid. This folder was just cd's but I have BOXES of floppies. (Remember those hard plastic boxes with locks on them? Stacks of that...) (Unfortunately, my Sega Genesis did not fare as well)

This folder = 64 pages of win. http://i.imgur.com/hv8G3.jpg

2. Some of them are GOG.com copies, converted to cd iso format and then imported. Things like Goblins, FOTAQ, Bass, and Space Quest games are all available there!

3. Lastly, a few friends of mine know I am big into the retro thing and I receive gifts here and there. Always ask around! You never know what your buddy has locked away at his mom's house! Aside from this, it helps to work in the gaming industry as either an intern, editor, writer, etc. You would be absolutely surprised at the things people have on their shelves that they don't even want anymore, but are too connected to to throw away.
Last edited by Dishy on Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dishy

Post by Dishy »

LordHoto wrote:
That Zak FM-Towns copy was not cheap for sure ;-).
Guilty as charged :cry:. I wanted the 256 color version, but cannot tell you that I have the disks or manual for that particular version. It makes me sad.

It's unfortunate. There are a few other games I'm dying to get my hands on. Has anyone got a copy of Chrono Quest that won't run me thousands of dollars? :cry: :cry:
balpat

Post by balpat »

My list looks similarly. I actually own all of them - some even multiple times. :-)

And, yes, I even own an original CD version of both Zak McKracken and Loom for the FM Towns.

To be fair, I bought this off ebay long before ScummVM existed because I misread the item description and thought they would be a PC versions.
I suspect the seller deliberately hoped for someone to fool back then. Who's the fool now? :-)
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

balpat wrote:My list looks similarly. I actually own all of them - some even multiple times. :-)

And, yes, I even own an original CD version of both Zak McKracken and Loom for the FM Towns.
That's nice, if you own an image scanner you might want to consider to contribute scans of the CD cover etc. to mobygames, since it seems they only feature the front box cover for Zak McKracken and in case of Loom they at least feature a full box cover scan. Sadly they are missing CD covers for both for example. At least personally I like to search through mobygames to look for box shots etc.
scoriae

Post by scoriae »

I don't think it is too uncommon for one to have a games list like this.

I made a list of every english adventure game released for dos compiled from sites like JustAdventure, Mobygames, AdventurePoint, and a few others about 5 years ago.

At this time I am only missing 6 games. A few were pricey, but for the most part I just set eBay alerts and waited patiently. Just last month I got a buy it now on eBay for an unopened copy of Golden Immortal, which is one of the rarest cd-rom dos adventures. I got it for $30, where-as in the past it has sold for much more.

And then to echo dishy, you never know what your friends or family might have. My uncle gave me a copy of King's Qust 4 that is an original boxed copy of the AGI release. Before I obtained this, I knew many people who swore it was never released in a box and could only be obtained via mail in order forms from the SCI version.

Point in short - an extensive games list doesn't automatically mean one is a pirate.
Strangerke
ScummVM Developer

Post by Strangerke »

Hi scoriae,

Of course, a long game list is not a proof of piracy, only a sign. What tickles their curiosity was the presence of FM Towns versions:
they are uncommon, extremely expensive and not so easy to dump, so they are a common sign of piracy (when we receive questions, at least).

And of course we are also flattered when someone has a large collection and thanks us as he plays his games :)

Best regards,
Strangerke
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

Strangerke wrote:Of course, a long game list is not a proof of piracy, only a sign. What tickles their curiosity was the presence of FM Towns versions:
they are uncommon, extremely expensive and not so easy to dump, so they are a common sign of piracy (when we receive questions, at least).
In fact FM-Towns CD-Roms are just standard CD-Roms, it is usually no problem at all to dump them.
Strangerke
ScummVM Developer

Post by Strangerke »

I thought it was difficult to extract the font rom. I must be wrong then, ... so please ignore my remark.
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

Strangerke wrote:I thought it was difficult to extract the font rom. I must be wrong then, ... so please ignore my remark.
Which isn't needed for the English versions. Not to mention we support creating one from a TTF fiile now.
scoriae

Post by scoriae »

It may be easy to dump, but Strangerke is not wrong when he states they are rare and expensive.

I totally understand why the presence of a FM Towns game may be suspicious.

It is ironic that Dishy asked about a copy of ChronoQuest, as ChronoQuest 1 and 2 are two of the 6 games I am missing. It is quite rare. I once located a french copy, and I have seen an english amiga copy - but ever an english dos copy.
Dishy

Post by Dishy »

scoriae wrote:It may be easy to dump, but Strangerke is not wrong when he states they are rare and expensive.

I totally understand why the presence of a FM Towns game may be suspicious.

It is ironic that Dishy asked about a copy of ChronoQuest, as ChronoQuest 1 and 2 are two of the 6 games I am missing. It is quite rare. I once located a french copy, and I have seen an english amiga copy - but ever an english dos copy.

I do own a copy of the game from the LucasArts Adventure pack, (dos) floppies and all. When I learned about the superior sound and graphics of the FM-Towns version, I sought it out.It is indeed suspicious, but per the rules that's not what I was meaning to discuss ;)

I have resigned to the notion that ChronoQuest for PC is impossible to get my hands on. I've given up.
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

scoriae wrote:It may be easy to dump, but Strangerke is not wrong when he states they are rare and expensive.
I think nobody doubted that they are rare and expensive. But the game data on CD is usually easy to dump. When it comes to floppies it gets a little harder, since FM-Towns usually uses 1.2MB 3.5" floppy disks, which usually require a "3 mode floppy" capable controller + drive.