Am I missing something?

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Nintendo DS port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

sinver

Am I missing something?

Post by sinver »

Hi folks, I read the FAQ but couldn't see an answer specific to my issue so I hope you can help.

I followed the you tube guide on how to get Monkey Island working on DS, to the letter.

I have the R4DS and when after completing the procedure in the aforementioned video, I only get "Loading" in the top screen, it just hangs on this.

I am not an expert on programming things, so would appreciate it if anyone can see this video : http://www.dsigames.org/blog/2010/09/ho ... h-scummvm/ and tell me if I missed anything?
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

By FAQ what do you mean? The Drunkencoder FAQs linked to on this page?
http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=2081
What type of DS do you have? Phat? Lite? i? or maybe even 3?
Does your card have a forum? You might get a quicker reply that way.
sinver

Post by sinver »

Ok, I firstly appreciate the fast reply. I also apologise for lack of detail.

I am using a DS lite, and the game in question is the Monkey Madness pc cd, containing both monkey island 1 and 2.

I am trying to follow drunkencoders guide, but even though I consider myself reasonably computer literate, I really am struggling at this bit:

If you're using the Windows GUI version, double click on dlditool32.exe, select your card reader from the box, drag your ScummVM binaries (either the .nds, or the .ds.gba version depending on your card reader. I think only Supercards use the .ds.gba files) into the lower box, then click patch.

Unless you are a coder, super geek (not an insult!) that literally means nothing. Can someone, with pictures if needed, put that in to English?

I downloaded the DS Package, I assume I need this but I see no "binaries" or files indexed with .nds etc.

Help?
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

I don't know much about DS cards.
Do you know what DLDI patching is? It's something that in the early days of flash cards you'd need to know about. However for some time now all cards do it automatically.

If your card does it automatically I don't think there should be any problems.
On the Downloads page is a 1.2.1 package in a zip. Between the PSP and Android packages.
Unzip it for a folder with the same name as the zip. Inside that are 31 files. Most of them are .nds or .gba binaries. The gba binaries are for flash cards that use slot 2 on the DS. Most people use slot 1 cards these days though. Unlike ScummVM for desktop where all the engines are in a single binary (as your Windows - an .exe) for the DS you pick a binary depending on the game you want to play. For SCUMM engine games you use 'scummvm-a.nds'

Like I say I don't know much about the different cards so the one you have might need DLDI patching which I've never done. Any idea how old the card is?

edit
By the by - as your a Windows user I seem to recall some versions of Windows, or how you have it set up, hide the file extension by default. If you have your OS set up that way you will only see for example 'scummvm-a' instead of 'scummvm-a.nds'
sinver

Post by sinver »

Thank you again for the reply. I did download that file, but you may have a point on the not listing all files, as there certainly are not 31 files in the unzipped folder.

I use Windows 7 so how do I get it to show all?

the files I have listed are:

patches (folder)
authors
copying.bsd
copying.lgpl
copying
copyright
drascula.dat
kyra.dat
lure.dat
news
pred
queen.tbl
readme
readme-sdl
scummclassic (a zipped folder)
scummmodern (a zipped folder)
scummvm (executable application)
sdl.dll
sky.cpt
teenagent.dat
translations.dat

So where are the others? arrrggh this is driving me crazy!
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

sinver wrote:Thank you again for the reply. I did download that file, but you may have a point on the not listing all files, as there certainly are not 31 files in the unzipped folder.

I use Windows 7 so how do I get it to show all?

the files I have listed are:

patches (folder)
authors
copying.bsd
copying.lgpl
copying
copyright
drascula.dat
kyra.dat
lure.dat
news
pred
queen.tbl
readme
readme-sdl
scummclassic (a zipped folder)
scummmodern (a zipped folder)
scummvm (executable application)
sdl.dll
sky.cpt
teenagent.dat
translations.dat

So where are the others? arrrggh this is driving me crazy!
That rather looks like you downloaded the Win64 version instead of the NDS version, you should check that.
sinver

Post by sinver »

Not sure what you mean chap, I only see one DS package and am using a 64 bit Windows 7 so what do you mean exactly?
Graxer

Post by Graxer »

What you need to do is download the NDS version of ScummVM:

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/scum ... 2.1-ds.zip

(You can also get that from the DS link on the downloads page)

Once that is downloaded unzip the files to a folder on your R4DS memory card. Put your Monkey Island files on the memory card too. Then (on your DS) run scummvm-a.nds and add and play Monkey Island how you would on a PC through ScummVM.

If I am correct you don't need to do any more than that with an R4DS. Hope that works for you! :)
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

As Graxer noticed you seem to be downloading a desktop (Windows, Mac or Linux in other words) version of ScummVM.
The ScummVM for Nintendo DS package, as I pointed out earlier, is linked to between the PSP (above) and Android (below) packages on the Downloads page. Or use Graxer's link which is to the same download.
As for showing the file extension in Windows I'm sure it's a common enough thing to find the answer to with Google. I can't help you myself.
sinver

Post by sinver »

You are quite right, I was somehow dloading the windows package despite being sure I had clicked the right link. However, using Graxers link here I now have the right one, and have also found the option to show all files (it wasn't that hard in the end lol)

Thankyou for your continued patience and help guys, I will keep you informed!