First thoughts on winmo7, scummvm compatible?

Discussion about other and unofficial ports of ScummVM

Moderator: ScummVM Team

MagooChris

First thoughts on winmo7, scummvm compatible?

Post by MagooChris »

Just wondering if anyone had thoughts as to if the new windows mobile 7 will be able to run scummvm or if they are going to in force the same rules as the xbox xna?
bobdevis

Post by bobdevis »

If MS locks everything up they will lose the whole market to Android for sure.
I doubt they will be THAT dumb.
Gersen

Re: First thoughts on winmo7, scummvm compatible?

Post by Gersen »

MagooChris wrote:Just wondering if anyone had thoughts as to if the new windows mobile 7 will be able to run scummvm or if they are going to in force the same rules as the xbox xna?
In my opinion it will be extremely hard to have ScummVM on Windows Phone 7 for a simple reason :

Windows Phone 7 only accept managed code (Silverlight apps to be precise) so unless somebody rewrite ScummVM in C# it wont happen.
Estyaah

Post by Estyaah »

Hi every one,

Windows Phone 7 is available since several month.

Someone has taken a look on it ? Is silverlight really block adaptation of scummvm to Windows Phone 7 system ?
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

The Windows 7 mobile OS does not run C++ applications, like ScummVM. Someone will have to rewrite all of ScummVM's C++ code into C# and keep it in sync with the main code base, which is a huge task. So, the answer is no, it won't happen.
Keefo

Post by Keefo »

signed up just to say...

damn :(

would have loved to see Scumm on Windows Phone...
mangoish

Post by mangoish »

hi there.. what about the introduction of the major update Mango? Will it change something? Please we wanna play all those spectacular games on our devices!
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

mangoish wrote:hi there.. what about the introduction of the major update Mango? Will it change something? Please we wanna play all those spectacular games on our devices!
Windows Phone 7 "Mango" won't run native code. So the answer is still no, I'm afraid
n0n4m3

Post by n0n4m3 »

I have a WP7 myself and the first thing I did when I got one was to check if there was any ScummVM available.

Actually, Windows Phone 7 does run c++ but you need to be a special Microsoft partner to be able to publish apps in c++. Thus, as others said, unless Microsoft accepts a project like this it will be rather difficult to recode ScummVM in c#.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

An unlocking tool has been released some months ago... not sure if that allows people to run C++ apps, though
n0n4m3

Post by n0n4m3 »

md5 wrote:An unlocking tool has been released some months ago... not sure if that allows people to run C++ apps, though
Nope, this doesn't help with this case either. We would need specific tools from Microsoft that would allow us to compile C++ apps for the phone.

If you search the XDA Developers forum, there have been some posts of people reporting to run native (c++) apps on WP7 but it requires some tricks and I think that they still have limited access while doing this.
Seppellord

Post by Seppellord »

There might be native (c++) code support in the not so distant future. As Cliff Simpkins (Sr Product Manager, Windows Phone Developer) statet over at Dev Feedback on Windows Phone Development
we are interested in providing developers with more options to develop great apps for Windows Phone, and native is one item that is high on the radar. How do folks think about the need for C++?
zmurf

Post by zmurf »

How about "The DLLImport Project"?

Right now it can only use void() methods and they can apparently not do p/invoke. But with a little support that project might lead into something that can be used to port ScummVM to WP7... And hopefully also UAE.
windowsmobilefan

c++ to c#

Post by windowsmobilefan »

Someone will have to rewrite all of ScummVM's C++ code into C# and keep it in sync with the main code base, which is a huge task.
Unfortunately, I have no programming skills at all, but maybe it is possible to convert C++ code to C# without having to rewrite everything. The following websites might be helpful:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/cc301520.aspx (very old, but directly from MS)
http://sourceforge.net/projects/cxx2cs/ (a free C++ to C# translator)
http://tangiblesoftwaresolutions.com/Pr ... tails.html (another C++ to C# converter, $139 US)
http://razum.si/automagical/
(Objective-C to C# converter, 15€)