Toonstruck ?

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's PSP (PlayStation Portable) port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

tomawashi

Toonstruck ?

Post by tomawashi »

Hello all,

I just tried the latest SVN build on my PSP, I added Toonstruck in the list of games (detected successfully) but when I try to launch it, the PSP just turns off...

Am I doing something wrong ? Is the game supposed to work on PSP ?

(I tried on the NDS too with no luck, but I'm not surprised as I think the NDS doesn't have enough memory for such a game)

Thanks a lot for your help ;)
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: Toonstruck ?

Post by eriktorbjorn »

tomawashi wrote: Am I doing something wrong ? Is the game supposed to work on PSP ?
I don't know. I do know that the Toonstruck engine will allocate a quite large chunk of memory because it's preloading the entire DREW.PAK file (and a few others) into memory. Would that cause problems on the PSP, I wonder? I submitted an experimental patch the other day to try and keep the memory consumption down, but it still needs to be reviewed by someone more familiar with the engine and game than I am.
tomawashi

Post by tomawashi »

Thanks for your answer.
I forgot to mention that I'm using the French version of the game, I don't know if it makes a difference.

Also, I'm not very familiar of ScummVM yet, is your patch intended only for developers or is it useable for end users ?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

tomawashi wrote: Also, I'm not very familiar of ScummVM yet, is your patch intended only for developers or is it useable for end users ?
Mainly developers. At the very least you'd need the tools and knowledge to compile ScummVM into a working executable. (Incidentally, I have no idea exactly how that's done for the PSP version myself. I only run ScummVM on my regular computer.) I only mentioned it in a "perhaps this will help later, but I don't really know" sense.

The patch is simply a textual description of how to modify the ScummVM source code, i.e. it tells what lines of text to add and remove. As such, it's actually fairly human-readable (except it uses Unix line breaks, which confuses some editors such as Notepad), but still pretty useless to the average end user.
tomawashi

Post by tomawashi »

Thanks a lot for the explanation.

What confuses me is that the game doesn't even show the title screen, and I assume (but my knowledge is very poor, I admit) that if it was a problem with drew.pak taking too much memory for example, I should at least see the title screen, before the actual game begins. Here, I only get a black screen and the PSP turns off.

It seems more like a bug which makes the game crash, what do you think ?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

tomawashi wrote:I assume (but my knowledge is very poor, I admit) that if it was a problem with drew.pak taking too much memory for example, I should at least see the title screen
Actually, as far as I can tell it loads DREW.PAK very early, before showing the opening movie (a company logo) and the main menu screen. I still don't know if allocating that much memory and reading the entire file into memory would cause the problem you describe, though.