Monkey Island 5 petition...

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

AmishSamurai

Monkey Island 5 petition...

Post by AmishSamurai »

I'm not all for starting petitions on my own, it's up to LucasArts to do what they will, but since this one's already around, in case anyone's interested, some dude over at IMDb started a petition for Monkey Island 5 a while back. Now, it's pretty old, and a bunch of you may already know about it, but the more signatures the better. It's got almost 1000 now...

http://www.petitiononline.com/monkey5/petition.html
pelayo

Post by pelayo »

I don't know why someone would like another Monkey Island, specially if it's made by LucasArts. CMI was.. well... wasn't bad, but wasn't at MI1&2 level. And EMI was so bad I even cried after watching the intro movie. I think the only way to make it properly is to send money to Ron Gilbert and ask him to buy the Monkey Island rights. Doing a new MI without Gilbert would be stupid. It's like if someone makes "Monty Python and the Holy Grail 2: The Untold Story of the Knights who say Ni!" without any of the Monty's. (Hey.. actually that doesn't sound too bad...)
kraft

Post by kraft »

im the 1000th person to sign :D
raina

Post by raina »

pelayo wrote:"Monty Python and the Holy Grail 2: The Untold Story of the Knights who say Ni!" without any of the Monty's.
You know, that right there (especially the part "without any of the Monty's") sounds just a tad too insane to be possible without any of the Monty's. Btw, is the official rip-off all old news to every last person in the world already?
AmishSamurai

Post by AmishSamurai »

Yeah, it would have to be done perfectly. Not exactly like the first two, just very similar with some new innovation.

But, I actually didn't mind the 4th game. Was it as good as the others? No way, but it felt like a great homage to the first once you got back to Monkey Island. A fifth can't just be another sequel though. MI is one of the greatest game franchises of all time (despite its short length), right up there with Mario, Zelda, and Metal Gear, so it needs to be constantly reinvigorated.

It would be best, like I said in my petition signature, to somewhat follow Knights of the Old Republic, only insult sword fighting would replace lightsaber duels. The LucasArts adventure feeling is still there, with separate paths, multiple locations, great story, great dialogue w/ plenty of choices, etc. It also has a great inventory system, which is a crucial part of Monkey Island that has been going downhill since Curse.

Come to think of it, perhaps LucasArts should just ask BioWare to make Monkey Island 5...
kraft

Post by kraft »

if the fifth cant be another sequel what else could they make it? the fifth game would have to be a sequel since the last 4 games has followed the story.
it cant be a prequel since monkey island 1 is when he first decided to be a pirate.
slypie

Post by slypie »

Monkey Island is without a doubt the best point and click game period. I would love to see a MI5 as long as it went back to 2D and not the shambles that MI4 was.
kraft

Post by kraft »

i wouldnt mind another monkey island game with MI3 graphics
Pyjamarama

Post by Pyjamarama »

slypie wrote:Monkey Island is without a doubt the best point and click game period. I would love to see a MI5 as long as it went back to 2D and not the shambles that MI4 was.
Actually, Point-and-Click and 3D do not have to be a contradiction: I recently finished playing Ankh, which combines both, looks beautiful IMO, and was the first new game that I really enjoyed since Grim Fandango (which is admittedly 3D but great anyway) and MI3. If another Monkey Island sequel were like that, I certainly wouldn't mind 3D, but I guess there aren't many people left at Lucasarts who are interested in adventures these days anyway, so that's a moot point.
slypie

Post by slypie »

IMO I jut don't think point and click are really suited to 3D graphics. I enjoyed Grim Fandango but it wasn't anywhere as good as some of the older point and click games like MI. It is a shame that there isn't a big market for Point and click so I doubt we will ever see another Monkey Island. Just look at what happend to the next sma and max game that was scrapped though I've heard someone has taken over the project but I doubt it will sell well.
Pyjamarama

Post by Pyjamarama »

I enjoyed Grim Fandango every bit as much as the Monkey Island series, but that's a matter of taste. However, it wasn't point-and-click in that you had to control your character with the cursor keys, which occasionally made navigation a bit cumbersome. Ankh or Bone (of which I have so far only played the demo), however, are essentially traditional point-and-click adventures, just that the graphics are rendered in 3D.
mrshah87

Post by mrshah87 »

please dont make a point-and-click game in 3D graphics...

i prefer the COMI game. Like the artwork
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

mrshah87 wrote:please dont make a point-and-click game in 3D graphics...
Okay, I promise, we will not. :lol:

Eugene
crazyfish

Post by crazyfish »

If they made a really nice cel-shaded 3D engine it could be the best of both worlds.
pelayo

Post by pelayo »

Hm.. I don't like cell shading. It's not that cell shading is bad, it's the way they usually use it. Most cell shaded games seem to use that just as an excuse for doing only the half of the work, putting as textures as in an early n64 game, and still put high hardware requirements in the box to create hype. I love Zelda Windwaker for GC but I hate it's graphic style. The game itself is good enough to keep me playing it besides it's graphics.

I don't think they should create 3D adventures, but I must admit that the screens from Sam & Max: Freelance Police from E3 weren't as bad as I thought. I liked it. Also I liked the screenshots from Full Throttle 2. And I really enjoyed Uru: Ages beyond Myst.. I don't know if it could be considered as a point and click adventure in all senses, but it was great to be able to move your character, pick items, etc.. playing almost all with mouse. I think that could be the way to make 3D adventure games (I've played Syberia only one time but didn't like it very much).