Apple revising app store policies

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's iPhone port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

badmonkey

Post by badmonkey »

I guess Apple has completely overlooked Frotz then ? ... that bundles free z-code games but allows new games to be added via ftp & web
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Yes, apparently it slipped through. You could test the theory by notifying Apple about it. The frotz people might not like that, though, in case it turns out bad for them :).
werpu

Post by werpu »

badmonkey wrote:I guess Apple has completely overlooked Frotz then ? ... that bundles free z-code games but allows new games to be added via ftp & web
Yes it is definitely overlooked, given that frotz is a nieche program the testers I assume thought that it simply loads text and be done with it. But nevertheless, better be silent about it, to keep frotz under Apples radars.
halljames

Post by halljames »

iDOS has just been released on the App store. A full DOSBOX emulator which allows you to upload DOS games via iTunes and run them. Surely this means that SCUMMVM would be allowed.
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Wow. No refrence to the GPL, no source code anywhere that I can see, and they even include "abandonware" in their download.

I wonder if the DOSBox team already knows? :)
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

this is going to be interesting.
buckely

Post by buckely »

looks like the app has already been pulled. i guess apple didn't like it to much.
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Here's an article which discusses the legal and moral problems Apple's rules for appstore have in store for GPL'ed software like ScummVM

<http://lwn.net/Articles/396535/>

The source code for iDOS seems to be available <http://code.google.com/p/dospad/>. Also the DOSBox developers were/are apparently aware of it (see "Update" on <http://litchie.net/blog/?p=82>).

Oh, and to quote litchie (source), who seems to be the iDOS developer:
Ed H, though I don’t have any reason why apple remove this, the worst thing we should worry is they don’t allow user to load external games. Other issues we can fix, this we cannot solve.
Qbix

Post by Qbix »

I read about it, today for the first time.
I am honestly surprised that it is/was allowed and I am not impressed or particularly happy about it.
Nikioko

Post by Nikioko »

Well, I have Comic Book Lover on my iPhone which enables me to read Comics in pdf, cbz, or cbr format on the phone. I just have to upload the content to the phone via iTunes and then transfer the files to the program. Why isn't the same possible for ScummVM? Download the program via AppStore and get the games onto the phone via iTunes.
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

I suggest you read the thread.