Trick to play games far beyond bugs in psp

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's PSP (PlayStation Portable) port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

doggydok

Trick to play games far beyond bugs in psp

Post by doggydok »

Hi everyone, its been a long time reading posts in this forum for me and now I decided to post this one I think you could find helpful.
First of all excuse my bad english.

So the matter is that some bugs in PSP version of Scumm won't let you play many games, I noticed in monkey 2 and zak mckracken, as you know in monkey 2 when the monkeys dance (title screen) it hangs and you can not go further, and in zak's (256 color version) there's a problem using cashcard in the bus cashcard reader.
I tried the trick on those games only and it worked. Im not sure if it will work for the rest of scumm games but i hope so.

The trick is easy:
-Just use Scumm version 0.8.2 for PC and the same for PSP (that's what I used for doing it). (by the way, I've got PSP 2.5 never tried on 1.5, 2.0 or any other) and use the same game version in both plataforms.
-Take your savegame files from psp and put it where the scumm savegame files for PC are stored, note that the name of file must agree;
for example if PSP saves for zak's are zak.s00, zak.s01... and PC saves are zakTowns.s00, zakTowns.s01... you should rename PSP saves to agree the file name zakTowns and use the extension you want taking care not to rename files.
- You can play now in PC the saved game you had in PSP, so pass through that point PSP doesnt and save the game in PC version.
- Copy the saved PC game to PSP (remember to rename if necesary to PSP naming format)

And thats all
joostp
ScummVM Developer

Post by joostp »

Here we go again...

These bugs are NOT in ScummVM (do you really think we'd release such an obviously broken version?).
They are introduced by the loader you're using.
Hopefully a future version of the loader will run ScummVM 'flawlessly' (like it already does on 1.00 and 1.50 firmware)
doggydok

Post by doggydok »

Sorry for hurting your programmers pride, I don't mind who's to blame for the bugs, I'm really gratefull to fanjita and to you, scumm developers, only commented about a trick to play scumm games while waiting for a definitive brown ale loader, which by the way you could have confirmed or denied. (the saves share beetween different plataforms)
May some people would like to know, specially 2.5 PSP users.[/quote]
kraft

Post by kraft »

those bugs are in the brown ale loader, not scummvm, if you have pride in fanjita,you should have pride in the scumm developers aswell, you shouldnt expect perfect performance in the eLoader for quite a long time.