Linux and windows savegame compitability

Discussion about other and unofficial ports of ScummVM

Moderator: ScummVM Team

kalasmannen

Linux and windows savegame compitability

Post by kalasmannen »

HellO!

Me and my friend have successfully compiled and installed 0.8.2 version of scumvm on our Ubuntu Breezy machines. But my friends have savegames from monkey insland (in scummvm format) that he saved with scummvm 0.8.2 version on windows, and they report invalid savegame!

Are Windows and Linux versions savegames incompatible or what? I don't know what to do..
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Yes, they should be interchangable accross all supported platforms. Only problem you could face is that if your friend's Ubuntu build was built without zlib support. In this case it will not be able to read compressed win32 savegames.

To resolve that simply rename your savegame monkey.sXX to monkey.sXX.gz (i.e. add .gz postfix) and gunzip it.

Eugene
kalasmannen

Ah, thanks

Post by kalasmannen »

Ah! Thanks for the info! We first thought it was an issue about that th versions was not the same, so we builded version 0.8.2 from source on Linux and trie, but it would report the same "invalid savegame".

I'll try what you suggested and post to tell if it worked or not.

Thanks again!
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Still strange, I thought that virtually every Linux binary would include zlib, since it seems to be installed on almostall Linux systems these days...

There is a quick way to find out if this is the cause of your problems: Take a look at the about dialog of both versions of ScummVM (Win and Linux). It should say "zlib" in there if it was built with zlib support enabled.

Should it turn out that the problem is not caused by zlib, please file a bug report -- but we have exchanged savegames for SCUMM games between Linux, Windows, Mac and many other systems for years now w/o any problems, so I'd be surprised.
kalasmannen

Post by kalasmannen »

It worked when we decompressed the savefiles, thanks for the tip.

About zlib, this is a citation of the about dialog: "ScummVM 0.8.2 built on feb 28, 2006 15:23:37. Supports: Alsa, Zlib

The windows version is the standard installfile directly from you site, so that would have zlib enabled? I am not 100% about the windows version, since i havent got access to a windows machine right now, i'll follow that up tomorrow.
kalasmannen

ahhh!

Post by kalasmannen »

Haha, i just realized what is wrong. I have zlib support because i installed zlib before, i thought ubuntu came with the zlib so my firend had i too, but he didnt, and because of that, his binary didnt have zlib support.. Problem solved! Thanks for you help!