[TouchMod] Touchpad like control-scheme

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Android port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

onevision

Does corners work in Galaxy S

Post by onevision »

Hello,
first of all i would like to thank das_weezul for share this work with us.

I´m trying your port v0.04 in my galaxy S with froyo and i´m not be able to lunch the fuctions of the corners. Have anybody tried this mod in this smartphone?, or it only happens to me

thank you
das_weezul

Re: Does corners work in Galaxy S

Post by das_weezul »

onevision wrote:Hello,
first of all i would like to thank das_weezul for share this work with us.
I'm happy that it seems to be useful for some people :D
onevision wrote:I´m trying your port v0.04 in my galaxy S with froyo and i´m not be able to lunch the fuctions of the corners.
I see ... I've set the corner regions to a rather small diameter to leave enough room for the "touchpad" region (center). Just try to hit the upper left corner (in a game) until the menu shows up ... you'll get the feeling for it! In the next version I'll add a dialog which will let you tweak these settings.

Cheers,
das_weezul
Lan

Post by Lan »

Well done :)
slayoer

Post by slayoer »

Hi =).
First of all it looks nice what you gonna do there pls keep on it!.

Now my point. I have a problem with your version :(. I installed it on a Froyo device and added the scumm plugin. I could add monky island 1. All seams nice. But if i try to start it a error message
"
Initillizing M32 Emulator
Init Error - Missing or Invalid MT32_Control.ROM
"

comes on the loadscreen and the programm turns off. What should i do.

may its a hint that i had installed the "normal" andriod scumm vm befor (and it worked for me!)?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

slayoer wrote: Initillizing M32 Emulator
Init Error - Missing or Invalid MT32_Control.ROM
If it's anything like the desktop version of ScummVM, I guess it could help to change the "Preferred Device" setting on the Audio tab of the options dialog.

(I don't know why it picked the MT-32 Emulator for you. I thought ScummVM had been fixed to not pick that one by default, but I haven't really checked.)
slayoer

thanks

Post by slayoer »

okay it workes now thanks!. But i don't like the new mouse behavoir but all other featurs. Can i disable the new mouse somehow?
Patchthehippie

Post by Patchthehippie »

Firstly, thank you very much for making this. I have ScummVM running on my Nook Color, and the only thing I have missing is the ability to right click. So this is just great for me.

That being said, I do have some issues with the mod, and was wondering if an edited version could be made. I'd do it my self, but I have no clue how one would go about it. Coding is over my head.

So, firstly, I really dislike the new mouse control. I could see how it could be good on a smaller screen device, but I have a 7 inch screen, and loved the old mouse control.

Secondly, because of the new mouse control, and the fact that there is a left click button in the lower left corner, I am unable to left-click-hold and move the cursor, which is essential in Full Throttle, and a few kids games I can think of off the top of my head.

Other than that, my only tiny issue is that all the engines aren't just included in the main apk like the official beta release that I have. That would be really nice, but not needed, as I can just adb the rest onto the device easily.

So, do you think you could possibly modify this just slightly? Revert to the old mouse controls, and remove the left click option and leave that as a press and hold option like it was originally? Pretty please?
gia2484

Bass still doesn't work on froyo

Post by gia2484 »

I dont know why, but in Any build (this 1.3.0svn or 1.2.0) bass keeps crashing on the intro.. I've read that it is a common problem.. Anybody is experiencing the same here?

I've tried both the floppy version and the cd version, but they both crash some seconds in the intro..

HELP!
das_weezul

Post by das_weezul »

Hi Folks!

First: Thanks for your feedback! I really appreciate that, as this mod is primarily intended to make scummVM more usable and fun to play on as many android devices as possible :D I'll try to compile a TODO list for me from your suggestions:

* [slayoer] I'll try to make the Adlib emulator the default, but as eriktorbjorn said, switching to Adlib fixes that issue

* [slayoer&Patchthehippie] I'll add a config screen in one of the next versions which will let you configure the input style (+ mouse behaviour)

* [Patchthehippie] I'm planning to add multitouch to allow corner clicks (mouse button emulation) + movement

* [Patchthehippie] Until I find out how to compile all the engines into one apk (Ohh I cursed so much while trying that :D ) I'll have to leave it like that.

* [gia2484] Add mpeg video support

@gia2484 I'm playing BASS right now too and I've got the same problem. My solution is to press the BACK button on my device the time I see the Virgin logo ... that skips the intro but it's at least better than missing a great adventure :)

Cheers,
das_weezul
Last edited by das_weezul on Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gia2484

Post by gia2484 »

Thanks. Didnt think of skipping the intro! It works beautifully.

The mapping of the corners works not always on my zte blade but i love the idea.

The only thing that i still cant make work is broken sword..That was actually working on another unofficial port. Here i just see black and it seems to get stuck...
das_weezul

Post by das_weezul »

gia2484 wrote:Thanks. Didnt think of skipping the intro! It works beautifully.
No problem :D
gia2484 wrote: The mapping of the corners works not always on my zte blade but i love the idea.
Yea, I made the radius a bit too small (20px) ... you'll be able to configure that in a future version
gia2484 wrote: The only thing that i still cant make work is broken sword.
I didn't have the time yet to compile the mpeg2 libary, Sorry. I'll add that to my TODO List :D
gia2484

Post by gia2484 »

I didn't have the time yet to compile the mpeg2 libary, Sorry. I'll add that to my TODO List :D
Great! Thanks for everything!
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

das_weezul wrote:
gia2484 wrote:Thanks. Didnt think of skipping the intro! It works beautifully.
No problem :D
gia2484 wrote: The mapping of the corners works not always on my zte blade but i love the idea.
Yea, I made the radius a bit too small (20px) ... you'll be able to configure that in a future version
gia2484 wrote: The only thing that i still cant make work is broken sword.
The mpeg2 library is no longer needed. The original Smacker or converted DXA videos are now supported. The MPEG2 player is not used anywhere at the moment
AshEnke

Post by AshEnke »

I like the very idea of a touchpad (in my opinion the iphone version had the best control method : you could switch anytime between touchpad mode and click mode by swyping from the bottom to the top of the screen with two fingers).

There a few issues that I'd like to report to help you do as good a job as possible.

First the areas in the corners are really, really too small, but I think you already know about that.

I also think that some controls are redundant. A short tap on the screen is left mouse click, but there's also a zone for that ? What's the point ?
The lack of click&drag is also very noticeable.

I think that the best method would be that a short tap is a left mouse click, two short taps are two left mouse clicks, one short tap followed by another one with the finger kept on the screen is a hold left mouse click (for drag and drop), and a tap in the (larger) zone on the bottom right is a right click.

Also, I think that's it's a shame that all the nice physical buttons on my Desire aren't used at all. It would be nice to bind the keyboard and menu keys on it.

Almost done : I haven't found a single Scumm build in which the volume buttons actually change the volume ! (of the Android phone, not of the emulator) Is it some kind of limitation ? Because I have to change it manually by either launching another app, or going to the settings menu directly on android !

Finally : I haven't been able to load Lands of Lore ! I installed the Kyra engine pack that was in the archive, but when I select the directory of the game I get a "No game found". I tried every single directory, without success.
I know that the port of the engine isn't finished, But I managed to at least launch the game with another build of Scumm for the Android.

By the way, nice job for making the app so small ! Those 5mo are really convenient when compared to other builds that are huge !
grayjo

Post by grayjo »

Just a thought...

If you are going to implement multi-touch, why not just have one finger is left click, two fingers as a right click?