Big Red Adventure Cd version

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

BeleG wrote:There you go:

8b68e161ee2c29ab626fafe190eeeac1 *ADV.EXE (183.871 bytes)
6140a3d3c4797792391067e68b9b109c *REQUEST.WIN (4.886 bytes)
70ff97c17f68dba8f05a764eadf668b9 *RUSSIA.FNT (18.344 bytes)
5f36e02ca15b20f10513e4fafcc67d65 *TBRA.BMP (80.972 bytes)
I think you need to paste the md5 sums ScummVM reports on stdout (the console) though, since usually ScummVM only uses he first X bytes for a hashing/detection and for me it looks like you took the md5sums via md5sum.
BeleG

Post by BeleG »

Sorry, my bad. I didn't know it had to be done like that. Now I've read the wiki and tried using the console window. The thing is the game does get recognized (as multi-lingual), so there's no output to be taken.

I've also tried using md5deep, but I can't get it to work with the instructions provided (I'm a bit clumsy with these kind of things :P). Could anyone post here an example of batch file for, let's say, adv.exe (the required amount of bytes for Parallaction is 5000).
peres
ScummVM Developer

Post by peres »

8b68e161ee2c29ab626fafe190eeeac1 *ADV.EXE (183.871 bytes)
6140a3d3c4797792391067e68b9b109c *REQUEST.WIN (4.886 bytes)
70ff97c17f68dba8f05a764eadf668b9 *RUSSIA.FNT (18.344 bytes)
5f36e02ca15b20f10513e4fafcc67d65 *TBRA.BMP (80.972 bytes)

You're right about the folder names, though. Looks like Proein (the Spanish publisher) just took the Italian files and translated them before selling the game.
Thank you.

I spent some time looking for information about the Spanish version of BRA, but I could not find any official reference about it. Besides, Proein has disappeared, since it was acquired by Koch Media in 2008 or 2009. It goes without saying that the latter's web site does not mention BRA.

What I could find is a Spanish version of BRA floating around so-called abandonware sites. Its md5 checksums are exactly the same as yours, and it has also been done by overwriting the Italian version.

Since we don't know much more than before, I will contact the developer of the game: I just need to dig his email out of my backups.
BeleG

Post by BeleG »

Great, good that you've checked the md5's yourself. I was getting a bit of a headache with that :?.

Proein was quite known for its creepy publishings back in the days. Sometimes awfully localized, other times with no localization at all... Of course that was in the 90's, the company must have changed a lot with the passing of the years. Koch Media Spain is a decent publisher nowadays, average quality and low prices, and sadly one of the few which keep bringing adventure games to Spain.
peres
ScummVM Developer

Post by peres »

peres wrote:

Since we don't know much more than before, I will contact the developer of the game: I just need to dig his email out of my backups.
The original developer says they were not involved in the Spanish version, but they believe Core Design (as a producer) allowed a 3rd party to translate and distribute the game.

Can we call this enough to make the Spanish version officially official? *bad pun intended*
Myrkul

Post by Myrkul »

I got a couple questions regarding the game.

I do have the Multilingual CD version, though the game always start with the English language and i don't see where you can change it once the game is started.
Also changing the language on the configurator before starting the game does not change anything, it's always English whatever i do.
Is there a solution to this ?

I also would like to know if the CD music is now supported or if it is still under conception ?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Myrkul wrote: Is there a solution to this ?
Since the game, as others have pointed out, isn't supported yet, it's hardly surprising if there are problems.
Myrkul wrote: I also would like to know if the CD music is now supported or if it is still under conception ?
I'm not familiar with the game engine, but I don't see anything about playing CD audio tracks in it at a brief glance. I didn't even know there was supposed to be CD audio tracks. My copy doesn't have them, though it was part of a compilation of other games published by U.S. Gold so maybe mine's different.
Mustrum

Post by Mustrum »

Myrkul wrote: I do have the Multilingual CD version, though the game always start with the English language and i don't see where you can change it once the game is started.
Also changing the language on the configurator before starting the game does not change anything, it's always English whatever i do.
Is there a solution to this ?
For testing with german language:

In all five PART* folders you must rename EN\ folder to EN-backup\ and GE\ to EN\
eriktorbjorn wrote: I didn't even know there was supposed to be CD audio tracks.
There are 57 tracks.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

WindlePoons wrote: There are 57 tracks.
Interesting. I wonder if they forgot about them when making the "Search & Destroy" collection, or if they just wouldn't fit together with the other games.