Curious about Supercard-DStwo Flashcart for DSi XL

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Nintendo DS port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

severed
Got a warning

Curious about Supercard-DStwo Flashcart for DSi XL

Post by severed »

I just ordered a DSi XL and will be ordering a Flashcart soon too. I am planning on getting the Supercard-DStwo for its GBA and Snes emulation. It is said that the DStwo offers extra processing power. Is this extra power similar to the Slot-2 EZFlash 3in1 for DSlite?

I used to have a DSlite with the Slot-2 running Full Throttle, so will there be any chance of seeing Full Throttle on the DSi?? and how is the overall compatibility of the DStwo for scummvm? thanks for any help

Will be great to have a portable scummvm again, but now with even bigger screens =D
severed
Got a warning

Post by severed »

i just read an older thread answering my questions... the "Team SuperCard to release SDK -- ScummVMDS improvements?" thread ...but its quite old, i realize agentq said he had no time for the project. is there any updates though?
another world

Post by another world »

after cyclods announced that the ievo will run in dsi mode, and i know there is a second unnamed group who also have the dsi hack, i think that scumm moving to the dsi would be a better option. the scds2 is limited by a 50% data loss from cpu-to-microsd-to-slot1.

-another world
severed
Got a warning

Post by severed »

i just found out about the Cyclo iEvo, very exciting news =D
do u have any ideas on how long it will be before we see DSi homebrew??

with the announcement of the iEvo i feel like i have a tough choice ahead of me. i dont want to buy the DStwo if the iEvo is way better, but i dont feel like waiting around for the iEvo to catch up to the DStwo
another world wrote:the scds2 is limited by a 50% data loss from cpu-to-microsd-to-slot1.
what do u mean should i not get the DStwo? i thought it was supposed to have extra proccessing power
another world

Post by another world »

i talked with both bassacegold (wrote the sfc emu updates) and alekmaul (wrote mame4all for the scds2). both confirmed that there is about a 50% data throughput loss because the cpu runs outside ds mode. the cpu runs code, that code must be sent from the cpu, to the microsd, to the slot-1, and then into ds mode. during this process the speed is lost so there is a limitation to what the scds2 is capable of doing. with that said the snes emu and gba emu are pretty nice, something we never expected to see run from the slot-1. if you have the money pick up the scds2. the extra features, menu, compatibility, and frequent updates are worth the cost.

right now the ievo doesn't look that special. the box shots mention 8mb of on-board ram, an FPGA, and an MCU. the card could end up being pretty fun IF the homebrew community embraces it. since the death of palib, nds homebrew has been pretty stagnant. its anyone’s guess what will happen next.

-another world