New features to test

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's PSP (PlayStation Portable) port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Bluddy
ScummVM Developer

New features to test

Post by Bluddy »

Hey guys

I hope you've already downloaded the latest and greatest stable version of the PSP port (1.2.0).

I've also put some new features into the SVN version which you may be interested in helping me test out. This version should not be considered stable -- only download it if you're interested in testing out the new features. I recommend that if you try it out, keep a copy of the stable version as well in another directory. So long as you know which comes first in the PSP's menu, you can easily use both.

The main new feature is a mini image viewer, which you can use to view images while you're playing. This means that anything that's available to view/read on your PC you can take with you on the PSP. It's limited to PNG files with 16 colors or more, and you must use specific file names, so please check the readme for details.

There are some smaller additions too, like the ability to move around with the nub while the keyboard is displayed and the addition of an input mode for 1st person RPGs like Lands of Lore. Again, check the readme for more details.
Last edited by Bluddy on Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
McKnallski

Post by McKnallski »

The First Person Mode works great on Lands of Lore. But I didn´t got the Image Viewer to run. I am using the actual ScummVM 1.3.0svn53396 (Oct 13 2010 12:39:52) PSP version.

I took a walkthrough and converted it to psp_image1.png image file. I placed it in the Indy4 directory on the Memory Stick.
Now, when I play the game and press Right trigger + Select nothing happens. The PNG is VEEEERY Big (480 x 12428 but only 16 colors = 608 KB). I know the Images take more Memory than the size of the image on disk. So I tried another PNG Image (640 x 480, 256 Colors = 503 KB). And the same: Nothing happens. Not even a Message. The Game runs on as usual.

Maybe you can tell me further limitations for the Images (such as min/max Colors or min/max Resolution and Filesize).
Last edited by McKnallski on Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bluddy
ScummVM Developer

Post by Bluddy »

Oops -- turns out Buildbot has been having issues with the PSP port ever since Broken Sword 2.5 was added. There won't be a version with which to test until we can work out the issues. Hopefully it shouldn't take too long :)
Bluddy
ScummVM Developer

Post by Bluddy »

I disabled building the Broken Sword 2.5 engine for now. Once buildbot finishes putting up a copy you should be able to try the image viewer.
Bluddy
ScummVM Developer

Post by Bluddy »

... And now BS 2.5 should be back.
McKnallski

Post by McKnallski »

The Image Viewer works now. But zooming to the original size (100%) does not work very well with my image. But that is necessary to read the Walkthrough. The Lines are nearly unreadable.

http://rapidshare.com/files/426154255/psp_image1.png
Bluddy
ScummVM Developer

Post by Bluddy »

Oh wow you really went for the tallest image possible didn't you? :) Good job finding the limits of what it can handle though...

I'll try to fix this issue when I get a chance. In the meantime, you may want to split up the image into several smaller images. It's pretty easy using e.g. irfanview (on Windows).
Bluddy
ScummVM Developer

Post by Bluddy »

Short tutorial for making PNG files on Windows:
I recommend irfanview (google it). It's really easy. Press the 'Print Screen' button when there's something on screen you want to view on the PSP. Then go to irfanview and choose Paste. Select the area you want, then choose
Image, Crop Selection (or just press Ctrl+Y).

Finally, to make sure you don't run out of memory if the image is large (more than about 500x500) see if you can
reduce the size of the image using Image, Decrease Color Depth. See how low you can lower the color depth while keeping the image legible. 16 colors is the minimum the PSP will do. Save as psp_image1.png (or with increasing numbers) and you're done!
Bluddy
ScummVM Developer

Post by Bluddy »

McKnallski, try the build that's built tomorrow morning. There were 2 bugs messing up your image, and I think I fixed them both.
McKnallski

Post by McKnallski »

I tested it and it works great. Even when I use a PNG File with just 2 colors. Good Job.

I found another Bug in the Game Lost in Time (German).
It seems the Game got a Problem with playing of Videos. Everytime a Video starts from the beginning, the Screen turns black for a bit of a Second. It is very annoying in Dialogs, when Videos are running in a loop.

Here is a good Savegame to reproduce that:
http://rapidshare.com/files/435678752/L ... me_PSP.rar
Just click the Door of the Hut and start the Disco :wink: .

It worked great on the PSP Builds months before. The Problem does not occur in the latest Windows SVN Build.

As always: I am using the latest PSP SVN of ScummVM.
Last edited by McKnallski on Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bluddy
ScummVM Developer

Post by Bluddy »

Good job picking up on that bug. Looks like some changes were made to the Gob engine a couple of months back and I'm guessing it has some problem with the way the PSP port handles palette changes. I'll check it out when I get a chance.
Bluddy
ScummVM Developer

Post by Bluddy »

OK I think I fixed that bug. Check it out in tomorrow's build.
McKnallski

Post by McKnallski »

It works great.

Now i´ve only one Problem with Urban Runner. The Mouse-Pointer is not visible in the PSP build. I know the game is not officially supported, but since drmccoy announced, that it´s now completeable with only a few Bugs I cannot wait to play it on the PSP. In the Windows version of ScummVM the Mouse-Pointer is visible.
Bluddy
ScummVM Developer

Post by Bluddy »

I'll look into it.
Bluddy
ScummVM Developer

Post by Bluddy »

Wow it's been a while... this issue should be solved as of tomorrow though.