a few questions...

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Android port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

thethreeheadedmonkey

a few questions...

Post by thethreeheadedmonkey »

i'm using scummvm on my lg gt540 (android 1.6)
so far i'm very pleased with it, but i've still got some problems with it

1. battery consumption - scummvm seems to drain the battery

2. scummvm settings - i've tried to switch to the classic theme, which, in my opinion, looks better and allows me to access all my games without having to scroll. it worked, but after restarting scummvm all changes i made were lost

3. controls - controls are fine, even the right mouse -> camera button bit, but when i play indiana jones and the last crusade, and use "what is" to explore a room (in the older scummvm games "what is" had to be selected manually) and tap the screen again to move the cursor, it keeps switching to "walk to", making the game unplayable

finally, is it possible to activate mt-32 on my phone
(600mhz msm7227 processor, 256mb ram)?
sev
ScummVM Lead

Re: a few questions...

Post by sev »

thethreeheadedmonkey wrote:1. battery consumption - scummvm seems to drain the battery
Depends on the game you're running. Some engines are not very efficient and try to refresh whole screen which requires lots of resources.
thethreeheadedmonkey wrote: 2. scummvm settings - i've tried to switch to the classic theme, which, in my opinion, looks better and allows me to access all my games without having to scroll. it worked, but after restarting scummvm all changes i made were lost
Check that ScummVM can write to directory where it sits, i.e. that there are enough permissions. It stores settings in scummvm,ini or .scummvmrc file.
thethreeheadedmonkey wrote: finally, is it possible to activate mt-32 on my phone
(600mhz msm7227 processor, 256mb ram)?
No, MT-32 emulation requires 1GHz+ of CPU power.

Eugene
thethreeheadedmonkey

Check that ScummVM can write to directory where it sits, i.e. that there are enough permissions. It stores settings in scummvm,ini or .scummvmrc file.
according to my application settings, scummvm is only allowed to write&change sdcard content. my scummvm is installed on the phone-memory, and i can't move it to the sdcard, i can't even find my scummvm installation with my file manager

do i have to root my phone?
gus
ScummVM Porter

Post by gus »

thethreeheadedmonkey wrote:
according to my application settings, scummvm is only allowed to write&change sdcard content. my scummvm is installed on the phone-memory, and i can't move it to the sdcard, i can't even find my scummvm installation with my file manager

do i have to root my phone?
Android ScummVM stores scummvmrc in the per-app data area, usually /data/data/org.inodes.gus.scummvm/files/scummvmrc iirc. The per-app restrictive file permissions means you can't 'ls' from a non-root shell, but you can read scummvmrc and savegames if you know the right path (files are publicly readable; Android's parent directories are executable but not readable).

It is highly unlikely that ScummVM failed to write scummvmrc - more likely is that I'm doing something dumb in the code that overrides your choice.

... Indeed looking back at my code, I'm passing --gui-theme=scummmodern on the fake "command line". I can't remember why I explicitly did that - I'll remove it.
thethreeheadedmonkey

i've solved my indy3 problem. Keeping "what is" pressed will prevent the selection from switching back to "walk to"

but i've encountered a new problem:

i have a touchscreen-only phone, without an additional keypad, so all i can do to move a character in an agi game is to tap the screen. this works pretty well until i try to get my character into another room. i can tap as much as i want, the character just stands in the doorway...(at least in spacequest1 for mac)

btw is there any way to improve the agi text input?
the standard controls are a bit tiny and only alphanumeric,
and the additional scummvm qwerty keypad covers the input area, so you can't see if you've misspelled something.