Discworld 2 - Data Not Found

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

maladroid

Discworld 2 - Data Not Found

Post by maladroid »

Hello everyone.

I have been trying to run Discorld 2: Missing Presumed on Windows 7 64bit but to no avail. I got the latest ScummVM version (the 64bit zip file but also tried with the 32bit one) and followed the instructions about copying the appropriate files and renaming some of them...twice! Still, when I try to Run the game with ScummVM, the program says: Error Running game: Game Data Not Found.

It seems to be added properly and recognized as the english version (English GB) and the result is the same no matter which version I select from the drop-down menu (DOS or Windows). My single Discworld 2 folder contains all files (272 in total) and has a size of 878 MBs. I hope this information helps anyone who may know what the problem is and what I should do to make it run.
Red_Breast

Re: Discworld 2 - Data Not Found

Post by Red_Breast »

maladroid wrote:Hello everyone.

I have been trying to run Discorld 2: Missing Presumed on Windows 7 64bit but to no avail. I got the latest ScummVM version (the 64bit zip file but also tried with the 32bit one) and followed the instructions about copying the appropriate files and renaming some of them...twice! Still, when I try to Run the game with ScummVM, the program says: Error Running game: Game Data Not Found.

It seems to be added properly and recognized as the english version (English GB) and the result is the same no matter which version I select from the drop-down menu (DOS or Windows). My single Discworld 2 folder contains all files (272 in total) and has a size of 878 MBs. I hope this information helps anyone who may know what the problem is and what I should do to make it run.
It sound like you're on the right track.
As you can 'add game' you have the files needed which ScummVM requires to add the game in the first place.
But you are missing some it seems.
Here's the datafiles list from the wiki to check again if you want.
I notice you said you renamed some files twice. It's actually 3 files for each CD you need to rename.

DOS and Windows CD

* *.BMV
* *.CDP
* *.MUS
* *.SCN
* GDATA
* HOPPER
* INDEX
* SAMPLE.BNK

* Rename ENGLISH.SMP on CD1 to ENGLISH1.SMP (English version)
* Rename ENGLISH.TXT on CD1 to ENGLISH1.TXT (English version)
* Rename ENGLISH.IDX on CD1 to ENGLISH1.IDX (English version)
* Rename ENGLISH.SMP on CD2 to ENGLISH2.SMP (English version)
* Rename ENGLISH.TXT on CD2 to ENGLISH2.TXT (English version)
* Rename ENGLISH.IDX on CD2 to ENGLISH2.IDX (English version)

The aforementioned files can also be named FRENCH(.SMP/.TXT/.IDX) in French versions, GERMAN(.SMP/.TXT/.IDX) in German versions or US(.SMP/.TXT/.IDX) in US English versions
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: Discworld 2 - Data Not Found

Post by eriktorbjorn »

maladroid wrote:Still, when I try to Run the game with ScummVM, the program says: Error Running game: Game Data Not Found.
There are several things that could cause that error, though some are unlikely and some of the others actually appear to be impossible for this particular game engine. So, in the order that I've seen them in the source code...
  • It could mean that the folder ScummVM is looking for the game in is gone or empty. This seems very unlikely, since you were able to add the game. Unless you've accidentally added the game twice, and the entry you try to use is pointing to somewhere wrong.
  • It could mean the game matches a known cracked/pirated version of the game, but as far as I can tell we don't know of any such versions of Discworld. In other words, it shouldn't possibly happen.
  • It could mean it fails to detect any game in the selected folder. But - again - you were able to add the game earlier so I don't know why that would fail.
  • The game engine itself could abort with a "can't find the game" error. But as far as I can tell, the Discworld games never ever do that.
So if I'm right that's two unlikely cases, and two downright impossible ones. I wonder if I missed something...
maladroid

Post by maladroid »

Thanks for your answers, people. Some clarifications follow:

@Red_Breast

By saying that I did everything twice, I meant copy-paste the files a second time to make sure everything that should be transferred was indeed transferred so that can't be in any way related to my predicament (the game refused to run after the first time, anyway). The appropriate files have been renamed as the instuctions say and all files that match the extensions mantioned there are in place as well.

@eriktorbjorn

Fact is I created the Discworld 2 folder on a disk partition named "D", since this is where I keep all my games (OS is on "C" and ScummVM itself is installed on another partition). Don't know if this could be the cause of any problems, but there you have it.

The version I have is certainly not cracked or pirated, although it did come in an unlikely bundle package which also included games like Civilization 2 and a couple of others I don't remember, so it's basically just the jewel case. Not illegal though, just different than the original boxed one.

The game is indeed added properly into ScummVM and identified as dw2-gb (its ID). It seems pretty encouraging to me but that doesn't stop it from not working at all :(

In danger of being silly, I should add that I found it strange no .EXE files were listed in that guide I read. I suppose there's a reason for that but just to be on the safe side I tried putting the DW2WIN.exe inside the folder for a spell, then removed it again after that attempt failed misserably. Still, I am wondering whether there are other files that are considered "obvious" and weren't mentioned in the guide's list? Because I believe I tracked down and added every single one that is mentioned there..
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

maladroid wrote: Fact is I created the Discworld 2 folder on a disk partition named "D", since this is where I keep all my games (OS is on "C" and ScummVM itself is installed on another partition). Don't know if this could be the cause of any problems, but there you have it.
I don't run ScummVM under windows, but I don't see why it would be a problem. The (unlikely) case I envisioned was more like this: Someone makes a "Discwrold" folder, adds that one, notices the typo and changes the folder name to "Discworld", adds it again, then tries to run the one that was added first.
maladroid wrote: The version I have is certainly not cracked or pirated, although it did come in an unlikely bundle package which also included games like Civilization 2 and a couple of others I don't remember, so it's basically just the jewel case. Not illegal though, just different than the original boxed one.
That was one of the "impossible" cases. I think only the Gob and SCI engines actually check for pirated versions.
maladroid wrote: In danger of being silly, I should add that I found it strange no .EXE files were listed in that guide I read. I suppose there's a reason for that but just to be on the safe side I tried putting the DW2WIN.exe inside the folder for a spell, then removed it again after that attempt failed misserably.
The .EXE file is the original game engine. The whole purpose of ScummVM is to act as a replacement for that, so that's why it's not needed. (This is different than DOSBox, which instead acts as a replacement for the whole computer and operating system, to the point where it's able to run the .EXE file itself. That's why DOSBox is able to run so many more games than ScummVM, but it's also why it needs faster hardware to do so.)

As I said, I don't run ScummVM under Windows myself. In addition to the ScummVM window, do you get a console window where it prints more or less cryptic messages? If not, could you try running ScummVM from a command prompt and see if it prints anything before you see "game data not found"? There might be a hint about where it fails there. (If not, it should be possible to enable more verbose debugging but let's not go there yet.)
maladroid

Post by maladroid »

Indeed I get some cryptic message from beyond on a DOS-like console window. It reads as follows:

User picked target 'dw2-gb' (gameid 'tinsel')...
Looking for a plugin supporting this gameid... Tinsel Engine
Starting 'Tinsel engine game'
WARNING: Tinsel Engine failed to instantiate engine: Game Date Not Found (target 'dw2-gb', path 'D:\Discworld II\')!

So who or what is this "tinsel" thing anyway? Is he the hardinger of doom that will rise should I manage to run the bloody thing? Or something even more sinister?

:roll:
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

maladroid wrote: User picked target 'dw2-gb' (gameid 'tinsel')...
WARNING: Tinsel Engine failed to instantiate engine: Game Date Not Found (target 'dw2-gb', path 'D:\Discworld II\')!
I believe (I'm not 100% sure) that this is the point where it tries to detect exactly which version of the game you are playing, and failing at it.

Out of curiosity, are all the game data files directly inside the D:\Discworld II folder, or are there further folders inside that one? That's the sort of things that could confused it, I guess, but it seems unlikely that it would be smarter about that when adding the game than when playing it...
maladroid wrote: So who or what is this "tinsel" thing anyway? Is he the hardinger of doom that will rise should I manage to run the bloody thing? Or something even more sinister?
"Tinsel" is the name of the game engine. I don't know why they called it that.
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Post by dreammaster »

eriktorbjorn wrote:"Tinsel" is the name of the game engine. I don't know why they called it that.
'Tinsel. Not just for decoration.' :D
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

It may not be what you want to do Maladroid but just as a test as well as erik's suggestion of every file in one folder (I can't recall how the game comes and if it has sub-folders actually) - just as a test I would put the folder with the ScummVM.exe in it on the same hard drive as your OS. Within this folder put the Discworld2 data folder. Then start ScummVM, remove the game first (your D: drive version) and then add this new version.

In theory there should be no difference and you still won't be able to play. If it doesn't start what might be of interest is what the command-line (DOS-like console) reads.
maladroid

Post by maladroid »

There is nothing new to report, but just an update on your suggestions, people.

The game files are all included in the same folder, I didn't bother dividing them up in CD1 and CD2 or anything since the guide suggested I didn't.

I tried putting the ScummVM folder in the same partition as the game and nothing happened. Same goes for potitioning the game folder inside the ScummVM folder.

The console reads exactly as before -no changes except for the path, of course.

I am really starting to get seriously disappointed with the whole thing. And here I was thinking it would be the perfect time for a little Discworld adventuring right after finishing "Lords and Ladies" :(
KuroShiro

Post by KuroShiro »

Ok, this is going to seem dumb, but if you really did copy all of the needed files correctly try removing and re-adding the game. I've had a similar problem with correctly configured games before and that fixed it. The only other thing I can think of is that you didn't properly rename the English.smp/idx/txt files, but that seems unlikely since you do have the correct # of files.
maladroid

Post by maladroid »

Thanks for contributing to this -seemingly- dead-end discussion of my problem KuroShiro.

Knowing that I have the correct sum of files into my Discworld 2 folder is certainly reassuring, although I WAS secretly hoping for the problem to have been caused by such a slip-up on my part and therefore be easy to rectify :(

The renamed files have been triple-checked and appear to be in accordance to the guidelines provided here. Same goes for removing and re-adding the game - I've done that a LOT of times by now (basically, every time I try something new to get it to run) and it didn't solve anything.
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

Maladroid - can you run any other games in ScummVM? I seem to recall for Windows you need the sdl.dll file in the same folder as the ScummVM executable. Do you have this?

Also, sorry if I missed this earlier, but what version of Discworld 2 do you have exactly?

Silly sounding questions I agree. I'm just trying to rack my brains and work out why you can't play the game.

Going back to the error - game data not found - personally, and I don't think I'm the only one, I never really pay attention to this although with games like Discworld 2 that need files to be renamed - well that part obviously needs paying attention to.

But generally I just put the CD(s) into the tray, open a window showing the CD contents and then just copy all, including sub-folders, to a folder on my hard drive.
The files the game doesn't use are generally not that big and in these days where storage is cheap I just find it easier than going through a list of needed files although in practice it doesn't take much longer. The files that aren't used won't do any harm on your hard drive. I find this way gives peace of mind in that you know you have all the files needed for certain.

But that last paragraph is pointless right? You've already triple-checked all this.
I'm all out of options over here. I'm intrigued by why it's not working though.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Perhaps the time has come to turn on debug messages? I haven't checked exactly what parameters would be appropriate (it's quite late at night here), but just as an example this is what I see if I run ScummVM from a command prompt and start it with "scummvm -d 3" instead of just plain "scummvm". I've cut out some initial messages:

Code: Select all

User picked target 'dw2' (gameid 'tinsel')...
Starting detection in dir '/usr/local/games/scummvm/dw2'
+ dw2.scn
> 'dw2.scn': 'c6d15ce9720a9d8fef06e6582dcf3f34'
+ english1.smp
> 'english1.smp': '009de30f6510e545ad69c8bcb088e713'
+ english1.txt
> 'english1.txt': '04cad223b39cd668c48eeb0a49ba7331'
Matched file: dw2.scn
Matched file: english1.smp
Found game: dw2 (CD DOS/English (GB)) (20)
 ... new best match, removing all previous candidates
Running Discworld 2: Missing Presumed ...!? (CD/DOS/English (GB))
If I deliberately sabotage my Discworld II installation by renaming dw2.scn to something else (I'm not suggesting you did that, I'm just trying it to see what will happen), I get the same error message you describe and the debug messages look like this:

Code: Select all

Starting detection in dir '/usr/local/games/scummvm/dw2'
+ english1.smp
> 'english1.smp': '009de30f6510e545ad69c8bcb088e713'
+ english1.txt
> 'english1.txt': '04cad223b39cd668c48eeb0a49ba7331'
WARNING: Tinsel Engine failed to instantiate engine: Game Data not found (target 'dw2', path '/usr/local/games/scummvm/dw2')!
Renaming english1.smp or english1.txt also cause it to fail, but produce different error messages. I believe dw2.scn is the one file it checks for to see if the game appears to be present at all, and the others are to try and determine which version of the game you have.
maladroid

Post by maladroid »

Alright, let's see.

@Red_Breast
I checked for the file you mentioned (sdl.dll) and it seems to be there just fine. However, I haven't tried running anything else with ScummVM on this particular computer, so I will have to get back to you on that later (I'm thinking maybe Simon the Sorcerer 1 which should be a fairly easier case).

Oh, and I have the English version of the game (GB).

@eriktorbjorn
Well, what do you know! I tried running the program through the command prompt and it worked! Didn't use the command you mention though (not sure if I typed it wrongly but it did not respond to it) but just used the good old scummvm.exe and the game worked like a charm! Only problem is, the picture seems to be slightly mispotitioned towards the left side, but that's fine - I just miss the first letter of the captions here and there. Not to overdo it with the favor-asking, but is there any way I can create some short of sortcut to the dos version of ScummVM so that I don't need to type the whole thing every time? Not that it is too much trouble as it is, mind you, kind of makes me nostalgic :)

Oh well, jolly day! Time to perform the Rite of AshkEnte!

Edit: Crazy update: after I managed to get it running through the command-promt, the game now works fine on windows as well :shock: I kept the identification option to DOS and running ScummVM under Windows didn't break the spell, so no need to mess with the command-promt anymore, I guess. This is insane, I didn't change a single thing since my last attempt and the problem just went away!

My memory is a little hazy here, did I actually perform the AshkEnte then, or...?