Simon 1 really slow

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Android port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

sblaise84
Got a warning

Simon 1 really slow

Post by sblaise84 »

I have simon the sorceror 1 and it runs EXTREMELY slow on scummvm. I can't even play it, it's so slow. I even got a different copy from a friend, same problem. Anyone else encounter this? I skimmed through the topics and I haven't seen a thread for this exact problem.
pncFreak

Post by pncFreak »

Which version of scummVM are you using, on which device/computer and operation system? You need to provide information about your configuration
sblaise84
Got a warning

Post by sblaise84 »

Sorry. Android version on my G1 phone. All my other games run at a normal speed but not simon the sorceror.
pncFreak

Post by pncFreak »

Just tested Lostechs latest ARM SVN build (on a TyTN II w/Windows Mobile 6) and my Simon I worked just fine.

Have you tried your Simon I version on a PC or Mac? If it is not working there either I suggest you rip the files from the CD one more time.
sblaise84
Got a warning

Post by sblaise84 »

Ill try. I even got some backup copies online via torrent and they gave me the same problem. Haven't tried it on my pc though maybe I should just to see if that's it.
sblaise84
Got a warning

Post by sblaise84 »

ok, i played simon on my pc, works fine. for some reason it's still slow on my android G1. as i said, all my other games run fine so its very strange.
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

The G1 port is very young. Maybe it just isn't optimized enough yet. IIRC Simon is quite heavy on fullscreen updates. But this is just wild speculation, as I have never ever even seen a real G1. :)
samwise

Post by samwise »

Just to add that I've experienced the same slowdown on the HTC Magic - with both Simon the Sorcerer I and II. I guess when it graduates to being an official port, we can raise a bug if the symptoms persist.

Also not sure if I've figured out how to right click, as there's no camera button on the HTC Magic.

Excellent work overall, tho.

Sam.
zordnil

Post by zordnil »

Having the same slow down problem with simon 1 & 2 on android 1.6 on a SE Xperia x10.
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

I guess very frequend updates of big textures is what really could kill any android device.
Mads Østerby

Post by Mads Østerby »

I have the same problem on my Samsung Galaxy Spica. Both simon the sorceror 1 & 2.

Kind regards,
Mads
xmfreak

Post by xmfreak »

No issues on HTC Desire. It runs fine.
ScummBoy

Post by ScummBoy »

It runs really slow too on my X10 mini (1.6)
kblood

Post by kblood »

The unofficial 2.x ScummVM version runs Simon 1 & 2 just fine. I thought it was because of my phone being a Samsung Galaxy S, but I can try it on my old HTC Hero with 2.1 on it, and see if it runs Simon 1&2 any better than it did with the 1.6 version. Because that sure was slow. In Simon 2 some dialogue is spoken faster than it comes out on the screen, but its not slow or laggy.