Virtual Keyboard Problem

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Android port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

turbinetester

Virtual Keyboard Problem

Post by turbinetester »

I have seen this questions asked under a different topic, but it was never answered. I'm sure i'm not the only person with this problem...

At the Copy Protect Screen of MI2, i need to bring up the virtual keyboard. I do not have a camera key, so i have to install the "alt" version of the Android Port here...

http://anddev.at.ua/news/2010-6-2-1-0-2

if i press the Menu key, the ScummVM menu appears. If i hold down the menu key, the ScummVM Menu appears, and then the android soft-keyboard opens on top of it. If i press enter there, it brings up the virtual keyboard for ScummVM. However, the ScummVM menu is still underneath the ScummVM virtual keyboard. Therefore, any text or keyboard commands i issue are unknown to the underlying game.

What is the fix or workaround for this?
turbinetester

Post by turbinetester »

This is kind of a corollary to the previous post, and I know this has been asked several time before as well, but is there any way to enter a combination of keys/commands in the virtual keyboard so that can auto save a file in Simon the Sorcerer? Any one figured out ANY way to save a game in Simon the Sorcerer??
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

That ScummVM port in not official, so we cannot provide any support to it.

Eugene
turbinetester

Post by turbinetester »

OK thanks for the official word. Has any one else figured out a workaround?
stoneracer

Re: Virtual Keyboard Problem

Post by stoneracer »

turbinetester wrote:if i press the Menu key, the ScummVM menu appears. If i hold down the menu key, the ScummVM Menu appears, and then the android soft-keyboard opens on top of it. If i press enter there, it brings up the virtual keyboard for ScummVM. However, the ScummVM menu is still underneath the ScummVM virtual keyboard. Therefore, any text or keyboard commands i issue are unknown to the underlying game.
What is the fix or workaround for this?
Simply press "p" on the virtual keyboard, this closes the ScummVM menu (like pressing on the "Resume" button), after that you could enter the code. This works at least on my desire.
turbinetester

Post by turbinetester »

I tried pressing the [p] key on the virtual keyboard, but there is no way to cause the keyboard to actually issue that keystroke to the underlying program without pressing the green checkmark, which closes the virtual keyboard. I have tried to "que" commands with the virtual keyboard, but i don't think it's working. For instance, i tried queing the following commands in Simon 1

Escape, Alt+1 - attempt to force a quick save to slot 1

P, alt+1 - same as above

and several variations of the quick save and regular save option.

None of these seem to work. The only thing that i know is working is the [escape] and [p] will close the ScummVM menu that pops up when i either press or hold down the menu key on the EVO.

One problem i can see, at least in the case of Simon 1, is the cursor position.

Here's the process

1 - I open up the post card
2 - Go to Save
3 - Click on the first line of the save slots (places the mouse and a blinking cursor under the first letter position of what will be the save name)
4 - Hold down the menu key (this first brings up the ScummVM menu, then the softkeyboard (SK)
5 - Press enter on the softkeyboard
(This brings up the ScummVM Virtual Keyboard (SVK))
6 - Press the Back Button on the phone (closes SK)
enter the name of the save file
7 - click with mouse cursor on the green check at bottom right of SVK
8 - The ScummVM menu closes, and the cursor is on the screen at a location directly under the where the green checkmak was on the SVK, not where it was placed on the Save Game File Name on the postcard, which is higher up on the screen.

I think that since the cursor position on the virtual keyboard is passed through to the underlying game, it moves the cursor away from where the letters should go, and renders the keystrokes useless.

Are you doing something else in your process to get it to work?

Is there a way to leave the SVK open and pass they keystrokes into the game?
kblood

WiFi Keyboard

Post by kblood »

This is a pretty bad solution, but it can work as well. Especially if you have a Samsung Galaxy S it seems to be the only way:

Install the app named "WiFi keyboard". It allows your computers keyboard to be used with the phone. Pressing enter for some reason brings up the virtual keyboard in ScummVM.

It seems that since the menu key on the Samsung Galaxy S is not an actual button, then you cannot press and hold it in ScummVM :(

The WiFi keyboard seems quite useless though, since if I was near another computer, I might as well play ScummVM on that computer instead of my phone. But if you have played the game for a long time, and used this WiFi solution anyway, then its one way to finally save.