Lost my CD versions of two great games :(

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

AmishSamurai

Lost my CD versions of two great games :(

Post by AmishSamurai »

First of all, I'd like to say how happy I am that there are so many people still crazy about the old graphic adventure games. There just ain't nothin like em.

So, maybe someone here can help me with my dilemma... I used to play The Secret of Monkey Island all the time about 10 or so years ago, but when I moved a year later in '97, I guess I misplaced my Monkey CD, and I haven't found it since. I still have the case that it came in, but the actual disc is nowhere to be found. I also lost my Fate of Atlantis CD talkie, which REALLY ticks me off because it's probably my favorite game of all time (next to Resident Evil 4).

I have since found out about ScummVM, and have managed to find an older version of Monkey Island with the text based HUD, but it just isn't the same. I also managed to download the '92 Indy, but what's that game without the incredible voice acting!? I still have my CD of Day of the Tentacle, which I play periodically, but I don't like that game nearly as much as the others.

Now, I'm not entirely sure what the policy here is on things like this, but I don't want to buy them again, especially since my sister (another Scumm fan) claims she saw Fate of Atlantis laying aroung a few months ago. I know it's not allowed for someone to direct me to downloadable CD versions of these games, but would it be possible for someone to share with me the necessary files from their own folder? It would much appreciated.

As you can tell, I'm having point-and-click withdrawal... :D
joostp
ScummVM Developer

Re: Lost my CD versions of two great games :(

Post by joostp »

AmishSamurai wrote:Now, I'm not entirely sure what the policy here is on things like this
You would've known if you had read the forum rules, specifically #0.
AmishSamurai wrote:but I don't want to buy them again, especially since my sister (another Scumm fan) claims she saw Fate of Atlantis laying aroung a few months ago.
Well, you shouldn't have lost them.
Contrary to what you may think, you're not entitled to download the game if you've lost the CD.
Besides, the game is only $0.99 on eBay FFS.
AmishSamurai

Post by AmishSamurai »

Ok, no problem, I think I'm going to go buy them. Just thought I'd check some forums first. 8)
slypie

Post by slypie »

did Monkey Island 1&2 have a talkie version. I might be miss-reading your post AmishSamurai with the text based HUD bit but I didn't think there was one.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

There was no talkie version of Monkey Island 1&2
There was a CD version of MI1, with digital music (CD-audio)

There was no CD version of MI2 - there was a bundled CD version of MI1&2, but the version of MI2 included there was the floppy one
Isaac_A_Steiner

Post by Isaac_A_Steiner »

md5 wrote:There was no talkie version of Monkey Island 1&2
There was a CD version of MI1, with digital music (CD-audio)

There was no CD version of MI2 - there was a bundled CD version of MI1&2, but the version of MI2 included there was the floppy one
Actually, the WAS a MI2 disc version. The .exe files was altered, so you can lay different save paths in the menu. The game files, however, are identical

Just my 2 cents.

Isaac
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

Isaac_A_Steiner wrote:Actually, the WAS a MI2 disc version. The .exe files was altered, so you can lay different save paths in the menu.
I am aware of that one (which don't you let select the easy skill level, iIrc), though it's not true for all versions. The German CD doesn't even do that. There is a TSR making the CD appear writable while actually saving to a path on the harddisk (without knowledge of the SCUMM interpreter). The same TSR also was used for at least Indy3, Indy4 and Monkey1.
raina

Post by raina »

Also, the CD isn't bitchy about what codes you enter in the copy protection check at startup. Or is it just the ScummVM effect and I've long since forgotten what it was like going all native?
pi

Post by pi »

AFAIR, the CD version of MI2 did check on the codes. OTOH I had it from a german magazine's cd (Bestseller Games), so maybe it was just the floppy version put on a cd. YMMV.
With ScummVM, no need for the wheel, of course :D

pi~
joachimeberhard
ScummVM Team Member

Post by joachimeberhard »

raina wrote:Also, the CD isn't bitchy about what codes you enter in the copy protection check at startup. Or is it just the ScummVM effect and I've long since forgotten what it was like going all native?
The CD .EXE file skips the copy protection AND the difficulty selection alltogether.

This means that you directly jump into the game, but you can only play full path.

The version number of the CD .EXE file is 5.2.28cd.

You can use it with every version and language of MI2 DOS.

Best regards

Joachim
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

pi wrote:OTOH I had it from a german magazine's cd (Bestseller Games), so maybe it was just the floppy version put on a cd.
Exactly. It's the same thing with the TSR as used on the boxed CD version. Both, the data files and the executable are identical to the floppy version.
slypie

Post by slypie »

I had the monkey island 1&2 CD pack. To this day I don't know what I've done with it... :cry: