Idiot's guide to installing ScummVM on an Android device?

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Android port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

marzipan

Idiot's guide to installing ScummVM on an Android device?

Post by marzipan »

Hello, just recently got my hands on an iPad clone known as an "E-Pad". From booting it up, I learnt it runs on Android, and it occurred to me that an Android port exists on here, but I have no clue as to how things are usually installed onto an Android. Is it as simple as putting one of those .apk files onto an SD card and having the File Manager read that?

Thanks.
gus
ScummVM Porter

Post by gus »

If you can point the browser at a URL, it will download and prompt you to install. Most likely a filebrowser would do something similar with an apk on your SD card (there isn't a "standard" Android file browser, so I can't say).

Other options include enabling USB debugging, installing the SDK, connecting your USB cable and then "adb install scummvm.apk".

What version of Android does it run? (Out of interest. See Settings -> About phone)
marzipan

Post by marzipan »

Well, didn't have to worry too much about installing stuff after all - the E-Pad already has a Package Installer installed so it was a case of selecting the apk in the file manager.

(Of course I had to learn myself that the thing uses MicroSD cards since the pigeon-english-instructions-with-screenshots-for-a-totally-different-looking-OS certainly didn't help with its obscure "TF Card" references.)

Tested Secret of Monkey Island on it quickly and it boots like a charm. Now if only I could work out how to do anything else other than left-click! It doesn't appear to have the swipe controls of the iPhone port - and the Home button only skips cutscenes.

Oh, and as for Android version, according to the "About Device" section...

Firmware version: 2.1-update1
Baseband version: Unknown
Kernel version: 2.6.32.9 #1705
Build number: p7901a-eng 2.1-update1 ERE27 eng.wwang.20100830.105450 test-keys