Failed to load mt32_control.rom

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Nintendo Wii port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

ichich56

Failed to load mt32_control.rom

Post by ichich56 »

If i try to load Indy4 i get this failure message and the wii chrashes. Im using the latest nightly build of scummvm.

What could i do?

Thx for your help.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

That's the MT-32 emulator (munt) that we use. You need to either change the sound settings to something other than an emulated MT-32 (e.g. Adlib), or dump mt32_control.rom from an actually owned MT-32.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

md5 wrote:That's the MT-32 emulator (munt) that we use. You need to either change the sound settings to something other than an emulated MT-32 (e.g. Adlib), or dump mt32_control.rom from an actually owned MT-32.
Might be another fallout from the MIDI device changes in the development versions. At least at first, ScummVM was far too fond of using that emulator as default. It might still be. Perhaps it should have a more graceful fallback if those files are missing, e.g. switching to another driver, considering the hoops I hear you have to jump through to get them.
dhewg
ScummVM Porter

Post by dhewg »

eriktorbjorn wrote:Might be another fallout from the MIDI device changes in the development versions. At least at first, ScummVM was far too fond of using that emulator as default. It might still be. Perhaps it should have a more graceful fallback if those files are missing, e.g. switching to another driver, considering the hoops I hear you have to jump through to get them.
Might also be related to the Wii not having any MIDI devices or softsynths besides the MT32 emu ;)

But I think you have to set the preferred audio device to the MT32 emu to get that message. At least last time I tried indy4.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

dhewg wrote: But I think you have to set the preferred audio device to the MT32 emu to get that message. At least last time I tried indy4.
For some reason, if I set the music driver to something unsupported, like PC Speaker Emulator, it thinks I mean the MT-32 emulator. At least in Fate of Atlantis. I haven't bothered to figure out why yet.
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

I don't think FOA supports PC Speaker.
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

MusicallyInspired wrote:I don't think FOA supports PC Speaker.
Not in ScummVM at least, the original did support PC Speaker as audio output though.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

That's why I wrote "something unsupported". What surprised me was that it picked the MT-32 emulator as a sensible default in that case.
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

eriktorbjorn wrote:
That's why I wrote "something unsupported". What surprised me was that it picked the MT-32 emulator as a sensible default in that case.
Might be that Indy4 has "MDT_PREFER_MT32" set and thus it should select your device in "MT-32:" when doing a fallback detection.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

LordHoto wrote: Might be that Indy4 has "MDT_PREFER_MT32" set and thus it should select your device in "MT-32:" when doing a fallback detection.
I could have sworn I had set that one to something else, but either that setting got eaten somewhere along the line, or I accidentally set it back myself.
dacovale

Post by dacovale »

Found this topic when I searched for a fix. This happens with the (latest) svn-build and a standard download of the freeware BASS (v0.0372 cd) from your download page.
Failed to load MT32_CONTROL.ROM|
ScummVM exited abnormally (-127).
Press any key to continue.
Ofc, the wiimote refuses to reconnect and I don't have a keyboard attached, so I have to reboot instead. :p

Above those three lines are about half a page of lines that seem normal enough. They confirm that I use the 1.3.0svn52917 (Sep 27 2010 05:51:04) build
that 'vkeybd_default' is loaded and that Scumm found Beneath a Steel Sky.

I tried to choose another music emulator in the settings for the game, but I still ended up wit hthe same lines. Before that I hadn't changed a thing.

EDIT:
The same problem exists for Lure of the Temptress, but not for The Dig, which was the only game I could find that wasn't in a box in the basement. The Dig started just fine, and I played through a couple of minutes just to see that it wouldn't stop.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

dacovale wrote: Above those three lines are about half a page of lines that seem normal enough. They confirm that I use the 1.3.0svn52917 (Sep 27 2010 05:51:04) build
that 'vkeybd_default' is loaded and that Scumm found Beneath a Steel Sky.

I tried to choose another music emulator in the settings for the game, but I still ended up wit hthe same lines. Before that I hadn't changed a thing.
Changing the "Preferred Device" (on the Audio tab) setting to, say, "AdLib" doesn't work? That's odd. From what I understand, the reason is that ScummVM thinks the best music for certain games is the one that was written for the Roland MT-32, and if you haven't told it otherwise it tries to pick a music device for that. At the moment, that defaults to the MT-32 emulator, which isn't a very good default if you ask me.

Another thing that strikes me as odd is that I would have thought that the test builds now were based on the 1.2.0 branch (where this behaviour should have been disabled for now) to help people test the upcoming release.
dacovale

Post by dacovale »

hmm... somehow it worked this time around. Perhaps because I tried it at 4 am last time. Sorry for the false alarm :/