Android Install Instructions

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Android port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

turbinetester

Android Install Instructions

Post by turbinetester »

I have a rooted HTC EVO running Baked Snack 1.3 Froyo and i am having trouble with force closes when i try to run ScummVm.

I downloaded a scummvm apk file and installed it, then downloaded and installed the program package for Beneath a Steel Sky, and then finally the game package for Beneath a Steel Sky.

Can someone please point me to a guide or post which tells me how to install and run a game on an android phone? I tried searching for Install or EVO in the forums, and looked for an android install guide in the wiki, but i'm gettin' nuthin', so to speak. Little help please? :)

Thanks
dinx2582

Post by dinx2582 »

I recommend running "adb logcat" (when the phone is connected to your computer of course) while trying to run the app. This is assuming that you're set up to use adb (Android Development Bridge). This will give you much more in-depth insight as to what problems are occurring when you try to open ScummVM by showing you debug logs in real-time.

If and when you do this, post the relevant output here and perhaps someone can figure out what the problem is.

Note: The scummvm packages in the Android Market are not for the recent builds of ScummVM. They're for the older 1.5/1.6 cupcake/donut builds of ScummVM, if I recall correctly. I know that the recent 2.x-compatible ubilds of ScummVM don't use separate packages for game engines.

I don't know if it would make a difference, but I recommend un-installing any ScummVM-related packages you've downloaded from the Market, then try to run ScummVM again, possibly after a reboot just to be safe.
Jesugandalf

Post by Jesugandalf »

Maybe you're trying to run an incorrect version of ScummVM for Android. The HTC EVO, running Froyo, should at the moment only be able to run the ScummVM version developed by lubomyr, while we wait for the official release of ScummVM for Android.

Try searching a little bit deeper in this forum and surely you'll get what you want.

By the way, all the games are run the same way: you put them in a file in the SD card, then look for them with the "Add Game" option in ScummVM, then play them. Easy ;)
turbinetester

Post by turbinetester »

ok so i did i little more reading and i found this site...

http://anddev.at.ua/news/scummvm_port_i ... 10-06-02-1

There still doesn't seem to be any actual install instructions, but here is what i have inferred...

1 - Unzip scummvm.zip onto the root of the sd card
2 - Install the scummvm.apk on the device like normal

Is that correct?
turbinetester

Post by turbinetester »

Do i unzip the virtual keyboard zip file into the same directory? what about the modem?
turbinetester

Post by turbinetester »

Ok i got monkey island up and running. The only sound i seem to have is the effects, no background music to speak of. The option is checked to allow sound, but i'm not hearing anything. What should i check to see about getting the sound to work?
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

Depends on the version of Monkey Island. If you have the VGA cd version you should extract the audio tracks from the cd in order to get background music.
turbinetester

Post by turbinetester »

I have the audio tracks ripped and in the directory with the game. Can someone tell me where exactly i need to put them?
turbinetester

Post by turbinetester »

i have monkey.000 and monkey.001 and tracks 1 through 20 somthing all in the monkey island dir on my sd card. I have the music enabled in Scummvm. Not sure what i need to do. Could i maybe have the wrong data files for Monkey Island, possibly using the floppy data files, instead of the cd files?