Kyrandia 3 - Crash after Intro

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Nintendo Wii port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Talantyyr

Kyrandia 3 - Crash after Intro

Post by Talantyyr »

Hi,

I've recently bought Kyrandia 3 (German CD) and got it working with ScummVM and Kyra.dat on my Windows 7 PC. (Flawlessly)

But i want to play the Game on my Wii. So i've copied the Game to my USB HDD and added the Game (CD / German / DOS).

The Intro is shown properly, but after the Intro has finished, the Wii is stuck. I have to turn it of and on by pressing the Power Button > 5 Sec. I've tried this several Times, but it's always crashing after the Intro. (Again, on my PC it's working).

I have also "Simon the Sorcerer 2" and "Sam and Max Hit the Road" on my Wii. (Also copied from CD, working on PC) and they are working without any issues...

Is this a known Bug, or do i have to do something special on the Wii?
I'm using the latest official release for the Wii...
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

I just had a quick look at this - both the English and German, with the new HBC just released and the Buildbot version of ScummVM with the added USB2.0.
When the intro reaches the end it seemed I was having a similar problem, a screen freeze anyway, but give it 5 seconds (about) and the game starts. For me anyway.
If it's definitely a problem it's better to make a bug report. There's a link on the main page, right hand side, and you need to make a source forge account first. It will be seen quicker that way though.
What versions of ScummVM do you use (Windows and Wii)?
The stable releases or the nightly builds lower down the downloads page?
dhewg
ScummVM Porter

Post by dhewg »

works fine here too. there's a delay between the end of the intro and the first game screen, be a little patient.
it looks like its related to I/O performance, try the recently introduced USB2 feature, that should shorten the delay.
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

dhewg wrote:works fine here too. there's a delay between the end of the intro and the first game screen, be a little patient.
it looks like its related to I/O performance, try the recently introduced USB2 feature, that should shorten the delay.
I made some changes to the resource management in KYRA today, you might want to try the next daily build (or to be precise a build from revision 52347 or newer) and see if the delay is shorter now. This only helps uncompressed files though.
dhewg
ScummVM Porter

Post by dhewg »

as mentioned on irc: this indeed cuts down the delay. using smb, i see an improvement from ~2m -> ~4s
Talantyyr

Post by Talantyyr »

Hi, sry for the late answer... have been quite busy :)

Tested the latest SVN Version today and it works... (with some issues)

It takes about 20 Seconds to start, thats not a problem, BUT i've got big problems with the sound.

I've got the German version (engl. talkie + german texts) in a blue box (if you need to know this?).
I'm using an USB2 HDD with FAT32, btw. haven't tried it from SD Card or SMB but everythin else is working fine with my USB HDD

The game works perfectly on PC, but on Wii i've got sound stuttering... hard to describe, maybe like "sound loops". People say something and the sound repeat itself for ~5-10 times, like it's stuck in a loop and continues to play smooth after this until a new sentence is spoken...
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

Yes I just tried this and have the same. The sound is stuttering (until there's enough memory freed up I think?)
That's with USB. With SD card it's fine.
Do you not have a SD card to play the game with?

The most curious thing I found was when I started the testing the SD card would start with the Virgin and Westwood logo videos and then go straight into the Introduction cut scene and after that straight into the game. Between Intro and game was only a couple of seconds though unlike the 5 seconds of recent.

But with USB it would go straight to a 'splash' screen with a black background, 'Malcom's Revenge' in purple with gold outline and a box at the bottom with 4 options.
Start a new game
Introduction
Load a game
Exit

I was trying both versions, SD card and USB external HD (and a USB stick whilst I was at it for good measure) a number of times and the SD card version ended up starting just like the USB version with a splash screen! I actually double-checked this, as I had the game listed twice in the ScummVM games list, by checking the paths tab. The game data folders are exactly the same as well - it's the one I made when this thread started.
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

Red_Breast wrote:The most curious thing I found was when I started the testing the SD card would start with the Virgin and Westwood logo videos and then go straight into the Introduction cut scene and after that straight into the game. Between Intro and game was only a couple of seconds though unlike the 5 seconds of recent.

But with USB it would go straight to a 'splash' screen with a black background, 'Malcom's Revenge' in purple with gold outline and a box at the bottom with 4 options.
Start a new game
Introduction
Load a game
Exit
Yeah once you started the game once / it found a save file it won't show up the intro at startup anymore.
Talantyyr

Post by Talantyyr »

I haven't tried it with SD Card, because i had not enough time on this weekend.
What's about this USB - Speed Issue? I haven't started ScummVM out of my HomebrewChannel. I'm using a Forwarder Channel from this forum. (Converted the .elf to .dol with "elf2dol", since no .dol is supplied. Why? ^^)

I'll try, to start it directly from HomebrewChannel next time... maybe this'll provide USB 2.0 speed?
I'll also check, if IOS58 is installed...

Edit: I've read that IOS58 is included in 4.3 so i definately don't have IOS58 on my Wii,
I'll install it and give you feedback about the USB performance.
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

Thanks for clearing that up Hoto.

Talantyyr I can't help you if you if it's Forwarder related. I've never used it.
As for IOS58 - well USB 2.0 was only introduced (properly) with the latest Bootmii and 4.3. When I updated to 4.3 it was the first time I've been able to go through the update routine since 3.3 I believe. (with the knowledge that it should work that is)
dhewg
ScummVM Porter

Post by dhewg »

What you're hearing is a replay of old sfx chunks. That happens if the sound data couldn't be read in time. You will only notice that with certain games, mostly the bigger onces, like kyra3 or comi.
Kyra3 is perfect with USB2 and my SDHC adapter, while I do hear the sfx hiccups when using the slower SMB filesystem.
I never used those forwarders, but the loader needs to fulfill certain requirements so loaded app can USB2 at all. HBC 1.0.8 with IOS58 will do, sounds likely that those forwarders limit you to USB1.
Talantyyr

Post by Talantyyr »

It works perfectly now!!

I've installed IOS 58, re-installed HBC 1.08 (in order to use IOS 59 instead of 61) and now it works like a charm. Starting Kyrandia takes about 3 Seconds now instead of 40 and no stuttering at all. (i will really PLAY it after finishing Simon2, so just trying around).

Thanks for the Hint with IOS 58, this must be quite new, right? I'm trying to keep up to date with Wii Homebrew stuff, but i must have missed this one :)

The Forwarder doesn't use IOS 58 -> I hope somebody'll make an update of the forwarder (if possible?), since i think it's much more comfortable to use then HBC :)
HBC -> Homebrews to try
Forwarder -> Good Software which i'll use often ^^^

So, this topic can be closed, everythings working fine now. Thanks!