pixelated graphics on Monkey sland 3 and Broken Swords

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's iPhone port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

jamesson

Post by jamesson »

is this simple? is only necessary to change one line of code? how can I do that?
jamesson

Post by jamesson »

The current model of downscale, new games with 640x480 resolution are pixelated on the iPhone. Why the old games, with lower resolution, are not pixelated when shown the virtual keyboard? is also not done a downscale to fit in tele vertically?
Bluddy
ScummVM Developer

Post by Bluddy »

Actually the older games don't need to be downscaled. Old game resolution is 320x240 or 320x200. The iPhone resolution (pre-4.0) is 320x480, which means that if you divide the screen in 2 (as it is when you hold the phone vertically) the game fits perfectly though it seems small.

I committed the change and it should hopefully fix the issue as of the next Subversion build.
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

Bluddy wrote:The problem is here

iphone_video.m:
glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MIN_FILTER, GL_NEAREST);

It needs to be changed to GL_LINEAR
Good catch, in my mind GL_TEXTURE_MAG_FILTER was the applicable one here and not GL_TEXTURE_MIN_FILTER.
jamesson

Post by jamesson »

where can I change this? where I put this in code? Which file do I change? I'm lost!
jonrico

Post by jonrico »

Thanks for the change - that does indeed fix the problem for Curse of Monkey Island on an iPhone4 running OS4.0.1.

I ran the nightly build for the iPhone from Aug 2nd and it has much nicer looking text than 1.1.1.

Sadly this build did not run Monkey Island 2, Day of the tentacle or Sam and Max, but 1.1.1 does. This build does run Full Throttle and Monkey 3 fine, as well as Monkey 1 fine.

So I have ended up with two ScummVM files in the ScummVM app folder for now and I am running 1.1.1 if I feel the need to play something other than Monkey 3.

:)

All just FYI
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

MI2, Sam and DOTT don't run? Hum, that sounds like a pretty bad regression. If that persists in current daily builds, please file a bug report / bug reports.
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

fingolfin wrote:MI2, Sam and DOTT don't run? Hum, that sounds like a pretty bad regression. If that persists in current daily builds, please file a bug report / bug reports.
WARNING: TiMidity: connect(): Connection refused!
WARNING: TiMidity: can't open control connection (host=127.0.0.1, port=7777)!
IMuse initialization - Unknown Error!
User picked target 'monkey2' (gameid 'monkey2')...
Looking for a plugin supporting this gameid... SCUMM Engine [all games]
Starting 'Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge'
Looks like Timidity is now the default audio device. Commit 51366?

Edit: Jonrico, a temporary workaround here is to specifically set "AdLib Emulator" as the default audio device.
jonrico

Post by jonrico »

I just saw the update to your post - thanks a lot Vinterstum that has fixed my SVN build and I can play all games without swapping file data about!
jamesson

Post by jamesson »

Vinterstum wrote:
Bluddy wrote:The problem is here

iphone_video.m:
glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MIN_FILTER, GL_NEAREST);

It needs to be changed to GL_LINEAR
Good catch, in my mind GL_TEXTURE_MAG_FILTER was the applicable one here and not GL_TEXTURE_MIN_FILTER.
How can I do this?
where I find this to change the code?
I don't know nothing of programming for ScummVM