Performance and Compatibility Questions for VGA and WM5

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's PocketPC/HandheldPC port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Stingray

Performance and Compatibility Questions for VGA and WM5

Post by Stingray »

Hi,

i intend to buy a Dell Axim 51v (VGA display and WM5). Can anyone tell me, if the latest scummvm version is totally compatible with this device? Are there performance problems because of VGA?
frank_m24

Post by frank_m24 »

Hello,

I have the Axim X50v with Windows Mobile 5 Update, which makes it nearly the same as the X51v (same CPU, same RAM, same GPU, the X51v has more flash).

I have no problem running the release binaries and the test versions from arisme and knakos. Even the PPC2002 binaries are performing well.

It is a real pleasure playing the old Scumm Games on this device. The QVGA Games are running smooth with the 2x scaler and even with the advmame2x scaler.

The VGA Games (CoMI, BS1 + BS2) are also running smooth including digital speech in case the storage device is fast enough. I tried it on an 1 GB Microdrive which caused speech and lips were not in sync (speech was too slow). With a Sandisk Ultra II Flashcard it works very well.

Several problems reported by users of other PDAs (Key binding etc) are not existing on the Axim X50v.

kind regards

Frank
Stingray

Post by Stingray »

Great!

Thanks a lot!
amotyka

re. wm5/vga

Post by amotyka »

I am using a dell axim x50v with wm5 and latest scummvm.
It works fine except the windows keyboard key is still accessible, though invisible, so tapping that area of the screen brings up the keyboard, which can be annoying when you want a character to walk there.
breakthru

Post by breakthru »

Hi,

I'm unfortunately having problems with my X50v and WM5. Everything was fine under WM2003SE but after I upgraded to WM5, the program only occupies less than a quarter of the screen rendering the games unplayable :/ I tried every stable release that was released after I upgraded (inc. 0.82), to no avail...

I thought it was a common problem with WM5 and VGA devices, but after seeing your posts I started wondering what I'm doing wrong (or more importantly what you're doing right for that matter)

:)

I'd be very happy if you could tell me which version you're using and would be VERY grateful if you could provide a link...
frank_m24

Post by frank_m24 »

Hello,

I'm using ScummVM 0.8.1 WM5 Relases binaries from the main ScummVM Download page (http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/scum ... p?download).

@breakthru: Switch to 2x or advmame2x scaler. This setting is found in the Options dialog.

You can also edit the scummvm.ini (normally placed in the same directory as the executeable). Add a line "gfx_mode=2x" or "gfx_mode=advmame2x". In case there is already a line "gfx_mode", change it to one of the above settings.

kind regards

Frank
breakthru

Post by breakthru »

Thank you very very much for your quick answer :) My LucasArts games are back up!! I recall trying the x2 setting on a more initial release, but it hadn't worked at the time, so I never thought of trying it again as new versions were released...

Anyway all looks fine now :)

Thanks again...