Wii System Menu 4.3 Update **Warning**

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Nintendo Wii port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

wfeltmate

Wii System Menu 4.3 Update **Warning**

Post by wfeltmate »

Recently (June 21) Nintendo released an update to their system menu which seeks to (and presently does) patch bugs and remove unauthorized programs.

It breaks the bannerbomb v2 exploit, removes HBC, as well as others. There is presently no work around for the HBC channel and this update adds no new functionality so it is strongly recommend to not update!
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

But can you access the Wii Shop Channel if you don't update? Everyone said not to update the last time it broke the HBC and bannerbomb, but if you didn't update you couldn't access the Nintendo Channel (not a big deal) or the Wii Shop channel (very big deal).
Axel

Post by Axel »

Let's at least wait until Marcan, Dhewg and others release a new version of HBC that doesn't get removed by the 4.3 update, then it would be safe to update.

I'm very positive they will find a way to avoid the HBC removal from the 4.3 update. It's just a matter of time for them to analyze what the patch does.
Badablek

Post by Badablek »

But can you access the Wii Shop Channel if you don't update?
you can update the Wii Shop Channel (with WiiSCU), even on an old system menu (Wii Shop works great on my 3.2 Wii)

Team Twiizers is already working on it : http://hackmii.com/2010/06/system-menu-4-3-update/

new version of HBC that doesn't get removed by the 4.3 update, then it would be safe to update.
4.3 does NOTHING except removing homebrews...there is absolutely no reason to update !
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

Except to get rid of the annoying notice so you don't accidentally accept it.
Axel

Post by Axel »

MusicallyInspired wrote:Except to get rid of the annoying notice so you don't accidentally accept it.
Exactly, personally I like to have the latest update version to avoid getting the update notice, and besides eventually the newer games will start coming with it embedded forcing you to upgrade if you want to run them (see NSMB for example which required to install 4.2).

As you know upgrading the IOSes manually to run these games is not recommended even by team twiizers nor wibrew.org.
dhewg
ScummVM Porter

Post by dhewg »

just a quick note:
now that we released a fresh installer that works on 4.3, there're some consequences for apps loaded via HBC 1.0.7.
keyboard support will probably not work at the moment. i'll fix this soon, give me a few days.
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

Thanks for the warning dhewg - and thanks for the big release a few days ago that you was involved in. At last I can buy some Wiiware (Tales of Monkey Island)
I can't really speak for the other platform's ports apart from the DS version (and desktop versions obviously) but I must say I think the Wii port in it's current state is really impressive with features like the menu on the '1' button for example.
dhewg
ScummVM Porter

Post by dhewg »

awww, thanks ;)
dhewg
ScummVM Porter

Post by dhewg »

keyboard support is fixed now with the latest nightly build.
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

Great.
When you announced it won't be included for a little time it was just before I started SCI testing and I really missed it as I like to make a lot of saves with different names. The vkeyb is nowhere near as nice to use as the real thing.