ScummVM and the HTC Desire - problems getting it working

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Android port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

shenque

ScummVM and the HTC Desire - problems getting it working

Post by shenque »

Hi all

First of all, I have a childlike level of excitement at the thought I might be able to play all my old games on my phone. If I look hard enough, I'm fairly sure I'll be able to dig out DOTT, Discworld, Full Throttle, LLL and all the rest from my attic!

But...I'm having quite a hard time getting the ScummVM app to work on my HTC Desire. I know the port developed by Lubomyr isn't official right now, but I had a go with it anyway and keep getting the error message "Application not installed" on my phone when I try to install it. There's no real explanation given, and I know it's not a problem with space on my SD card (I have 3GB free and it only needs 30MB!)

Has anyone come across a similar problem and found a solution? Or should I just be waiting for the more official Android Port that Gus is working on to be released?

Cheers
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

Whats your storage capacity on the internal drive? I guess that games will endup on the sd card, but its that also true for the apk?
shenque

Post by shenque »

Thanks Anotherguest!

So it turned out the problem was as you suggested - not enough internal memory on the phone.

Just did a bit of digging around and found out that apps can't be installed on the SD card - that's crazy! Apparently FroYo will sort this out but who knows when I'll be getting that little beauty (I am on T-Mobile in the UK and they are notoriously slow at getting the upgrades out there)

Anyway, great to get ScummVW working, let the fun begin etc...
gus
ScummVM Porter

Post by gus »

shenque wrote:So it turned out the problem was as you suggested - not enough internal memory on the phone.
Yep, this is why the proper (market) build of ScummVM breaks all the engines out into separate packages, so you only have to install the game engine(s) you need - typically only a few MB on internal flash.

On a froyo phone, the packages can also be moved to SD card (but unfortunately not the native libraries).
shenque

Post by shenque »

gus wrote:Yep, this is why the proper (market) build of ScummVM breaks all the engines out into separate packages, so you only have to install the game engine(s) you need - typically only a few MB on internal flash.

On a froyo phone, the packages can also be moved to SD card (but unfortunately not the native libraries).
A-ha! Fantastic - thank you.

So...how are the plans coming along for the release of the market build for 2.X?

It's at times like this I wish I had any idea whatsoever of how to code in anything more advanced than DOS! You're doing a great job Gus.
gus
ScummVM Porter

Post by gus »

shenque wrote:So...how are the plans coming along for the release of the market build for 2.X?
I found and worked around the Android 2.0 linker bug that was breaking plugins, which is great. (For the archives: Android pre-2.0 treated everything like dlopen(RTLD_GLOBAL); post-2.0 everything is like dlopen(RTLD_LOCAL))

The only remaining issue is graphics quirks on non-emulator devices: on my Nexus1, some of the whole-screen redraws end up blank; and on my Archos5 it immediately crashes in some of the graphics routines. Cause for both is unknown atm - the whole point of this rewrite was to make the graphics routines portable :P

Also: I'm working with the current ScummVM development branch, so some non-Android-specific bugs come and go depending on what other devs are doing. The audio-too-fast bug I encountered earlier was one of these.