5 1/4 Floppies

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Frank

5 1/4 Floppies

Post by Frank »

I have about 100 (haven't counted them) 5 1/4 floppies that range from DOS 3 to some Kings Quest, Space Quest and other games.

Just curious if there is some group or a museum or some such that they would be worth something to.

If there is an interest in them I'll go through them and give you more information about just what games and programs that they contain. I believe they are all in good condition, but haven't used them in years.

I still have the two old computers they were run on, one an IBM Personal Computer AT and the other an Empac XT . The Empac is the one with the 5 1/4 drive.

If this is an improper post here, please remove it and let me know. I just thought somebody here might be interested considering the high interest in the old games.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

It may happen that you have some games supported by ScummVM in that pile. So you may consider donating them to our project.

Eugene
Frank

Post by Frank »

I'll give you a list of the games so you can see if they are something you might want.

My old computers probably still work, but I am not interested in playing games on those old fellas. Besides, they have earned their retirement.

A list will follow.
Frank

Post by Frank »

1-Konami-Teanage Mutant Ninja Turtles Manhattan Missions 2-discs
2-The Simpsons-Bart's House of Weirdness 2-discs
3-Copies of Where in the World is Carmen Sandiago 5-discs
4-Sierra-Iceman 9-discs
5-Copies of Hero's Quest II 5-discs
6-Sierra-Space Quest II 3-discs also 1-disc saved games
7-Origin Systems-Times of Lore 1-disc
8-Mastertron-C Spirit of Excalibur 6-discs
9-Sierra-Kings Quest v2 2-discs
10-Infogames-Drakkhan 6-discs
11-Sierra-Manhunter S.F. 8-discs
12-Sierra-Kings Quest III 3-discs
13-Sierra-Police Quest 3-discs
14-Sierra-Police Quest II 6-discs

That seems to be all the games. The rest of them are DOS and utilities.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

No, neither of the game is in current scope of our project. So except my personal interest in Sierra titles, there is nothing more.

Eugene
DOSGuy

Post by DOSGuy »

I'm just about ready to incorporate the DOS Historical Preservation Society (http://www.dospreservation.org). If you'd care to donate your disks, I'll gladly make the arrangements with you. All unaltered disks will be copied in a track-per-track format, and any that can be legally distributed will be available for download. The originals will go into either a safe deposit box or a fire-resistant lock box.
Frank

Post by Frank »

DOSGuy wrote:I'm just about ready to incorporate the DOS Historical Preservation Society (http://www.dospreservation.org). If you'd care to donate your disks, I'll gladly make the arrangements with you. All unaltered disks will be copied in a track-per-track format, and any that can be legally distributed will be available for download. The originals will go into either a safe deposit box or a fire-resistant lock box.
Sounds like an interesting project, but the URL you posted goes nowhere, and I have tried altering it in various ways to take a look at your site, but that doesn't work anyway. Do you have the URL correct?
DOSGuy

Post by DOSGuy »

I bought the URL from a discount registrar and changed the name server to my hosting solution, then created a .htaccess file to redirect the URL to a folder for the new site. I think it just needs some time to propagate right now, but all you would see if it was working is a notice saying that the site won't launch until February. I just started a new job today so I won't be able to work seriously on it until the weekend.
Frank

Post by Frank »

Your site does come up now. I'll watch and wait for the moment.

Good luck with the project.
DOSGuy

Post by DOSGuy »

Thank you for your patience. I just started a new job and am currently in my third week of training, so free time and sleep have been in somewhat short supply lately.

I had some time to put together an extremely modest website for the society and am drafting a "mission statement". The goals of the society are:
    • To permanently archive DOS software in both physical and data form
    • To share the rich legacy of DOS software by making any and all freely distributable archives available for free download
    • To create awareness and share knowlege of the DOS era of computing
I have enough secure storage space to store original floppies and CD-ROMs in either a safety deposit box or fire-resistant lock box. Boxes, manuals and other materials take up too much space to store in fire-resistant storage, but I have constructed a sizable set of shelves and acquired book ends to store all of them off of the ground and upright. This at least ensures that they are unlikely to be damaged in the event of natural disasters such as minor flooding, though they do remain vulnerable to fire. Absolutely every effort will be made to permanently protect all contributions.

I appreciate any help of any kind. I'm fully versed in W3C-compliant HTML 4.01, CSS and PHP, but I'm not into graphic design, so my websites are quick-loading and functional, but not attractive. Web expertise is definitely appreciated. Legal and copyright knowledge is also appreciated.

My occupation requires a lot of knowledge about taxes, including incorporating a business for tax purposes. As a non-profit organization, taxes will not be a major consideration, but if there is any requirement or advantage to doing so, I will incorporate the society as a tax entity for the 2006 tax year.

I've invested hundreds of dollars in buying DOS programs in their original packaging, and I will compile a complete list and archive each of them, which will serve as the initial collection of the DOS Historial Preservation Society. All contributors of any future software to the society will be acknowledged on the website.

That's all the news I have for now. Thanks for bearing with me.