Kyrandia 1 Speech Issue / Config Q

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's PSP (PlayStation Portable) port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

redfishbluefish

Kyrandia 1 Speech Issue / Config Q

Post by redfishbluefish »

Ok. I have been battling with this a few hours and must now ask for help. I cannot get speech to work for kyrandia 1.

I have the cd rom version required datafiles (http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Datafiles) of legend of kyrandia copied into a "kyr" folder inside the "scummvm" folder inside "game150". I have tried copying the extra, non-datalisted filles, but to no help. I have tried every combination of settings I can think of. Sound effects/Music works. No speech.

I then tried this custom build scummvm with mt-32 soundtrack seperate in ogg files at http://www.pix.oneuk.com/ . I was told to just leave the .ogg files in the game directory ("kyr" listed above) and then either just play with default or just play with audio -> adlib. Neither of these produced speech. I tried the custom build and the non custom build with all settings I could think of.

Can someone please help? Perhaps list off the settings/datalist type of your working speech kyrandia so that I can try to copy it? I'm really stumped on this one! The ogg /mt32 soundtrack should work but I don't know the correct settings. Here is a video of the mt32 patch working for kyrandia ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_32cfKgfCro ), so I know it works somehow ! Thank you in advance for help!
Bluddy
ScummVM Developer

Post by Bluddy »

For this kind of issue, I recommend trying to make the speech work on the desktop version of ScummVM. The desktop version (be it Windows or Linux) can give you more feedback as to what's wrong, and you can post in the main ScummVM forum for help.

Once you get that working, you can copy the exact same folders over to the PSP -- they should work just as well.
Pix2

Post by Pix2 »

I'm not saying its the case here but the last time someone asked me the same question, they were actually trying to run the floppy version.

I'd second Bluddy's advice anyway. It's not likely to be anything to do with settings - you should be able to leave them on default.
redfishbluefish

Oh bollocks. I have tried legend of kyrandia 1 and day of the tentacle. Both have speech on the freshly downloaded scummvm for PC. Both do NOT have speech when used with a freshly downloaded scummvm for psp.

I tried erasing scummvm saved data and config/ini file so that I could recreate it using the new, fresh, ~30 mb Kyrandia cd rom copy. Still, no speech. I made absolutely sure the folder containing kyrandia was identical on both the psp and the pc versions of scummvm.

Is there any reason why the speech would not carry over despite identical files? Running 3.40 OE-a if that matters.
redfishbluefish

I just tested Kyrandia 2. Speech plays on both the PC and the psp version. So speech does work sometimes.

Judging by the datafile section, I only need .apk, .cps, .pak, and .vrm files, correct? The ".adv" files with this cd are unnecessary to copy over? and all different "kyra.dat" files do the same thing correct? So it doesn't matter that I downloaded it off a link from the datafile page (http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Datafiles)

Perhaps someone could point me via PM to a kyr 1 download link known to contain the prerequisite files?

Sorry for the long winded questions... Taking lots of effort for something seemingly straightforward.
redfishbluefish

Gosh. The kyra.dat I downloaded from this site is ~350 kb. The one from my cd was ~226 kb. I tried using both. Both run the game seemingly identically. No Speech with either.

any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys. :D
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

redfishbluefish wrote:I could recreate it using the new, fresh, ~30 mb Kyrandia cd rom copy.
redfishbluefish wrote:The kyra.dat I downloaded from this site is ~350 kb. The one from my cd was ~226 kb.
I could be wrong, but that sounds like a compressed version set up to run with ScummVM. What about the original game CD?
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

redfishbluefish wrote:Perhaps someone could point me via PM to a kyr 1 download link known to contain the prerequisite files?
[b]Forum Rules. READ BEFORE POST.[/b] wrote: 0) No Warez. No Abandonware discussions. Links to content of a questionable nature, asking for, offering, or asking for help/helping to process such content in any way or form is not tolerated. No, it's not okay to request parts of a game either, even if you already own another version of it, or to replace damaged media. Consider Copyright FAQ.
redfishbluefish

Erik had it correct. My version was compressed from ~80 mb to ~30mb. With the proper version everything is running smoothly. Thanks again for your help.
Bluddy
ScummVM Developer

Post by Bluddy »

I'm guessing it was compressed using FLAC, which the PSP doesn't support.