SoMI ADF extraction

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Gary_Oak

SoMI ADF extraction

Post by Gary_Oak »

Hi everybody! I need some help here if you don't mind, you see I have the four secret of monkey island disks in ADF file format but I don't know how to extract them, so does someone know what I need to use in order to extract these?
Thanks in Advance!
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

It's easier to install the PC CD-ROM version of Monkey Island. I don't think there is an easy way to read ADF files to extract the data. If you made the ADF files yourself, from the original floppies, it would probably be easier to link the Amiga and PC up to copy the files over directly, again I'm not sure exactly how to do this but it should be possible using a null modem cable.
joachimeberhard
ScummVM Team Member

Post by joachimeberhard »

There is some discussion about extracting Amiga games here:

http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=207

Hope that helps.

forum search would have helped :wink:
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

What Amiga OS do you use? If it's 3.x, you should be able to directly write the files to MS-DOS formatted floppies. In case some files are too big, use a packer like LHArc and extract them again on the PC.
Kaminari

Post by Kaminari »

Fire up your Amiga, copy the contents of your disks in a single folder that you will compress in an LHA archive, email the archive to yourself from the Miggy and receive it on the PC. Expand it with WinRAR or whatever.

Simple.
Quietust

Post by Quietust »

Kaminari wrote:Fire up your Amiga, copy the contents of your disks in a single folder that you will compress in an LHA archive, email the archive to yourself from the Miggy and receive it on the PC. Expand it with WinRAR or whatever.

Simple.
This is, of course, assuming your Amiga has a network card in it (which mine certainly does not)...
LogicDeLuxe wrote:What Amiga OS do you use? If it's 3.x, you should be able to directly write the files to MS-DOS formatted floppies. In case some files are too big, use a packer like LHArc and extract them again on the PC.
WB2.x also supports this, though you may have to manually mount "PC0" first (browse to WB_2.x:Storage/DOSDrivers and simply double-click it - if you use it often, just drag it to WB_2.x:Devs/DOSDrivers and it'll auto-load on boot).
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

Quietust wrote:
Kaminari wrote:Fire up your Amiga, copy the contents of your disks in a single folder that you will compress in an LHA archive, email the archive to yourself from the Miggy and receive it on the PC. Expand it with WinRAR or whatever.

Simple.
This is, of course, assuming your Amiga has a network card in it (which mine certainly does not)...
No, I think it assumes he/she has a modem connected to the Amiga.
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

Since most people didn't ever use the Amiga for internet, it is very like that copying the files to a floppy is the far less complicated way.
If you don't have a floppy drive in the PC, you can try a nul modem cable and use some terminal software capable of file transfers. And if you don't want to buy an extra cable, you can even connect the Amiga's floppy disk drive to the PC (reading the MS-DOS formatted disk), though you would have to do that several times, until all files are copied.
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

LogicDeLuxe wrote:Since most people didn't ever use the Amiga for internet,
I'm sorry to say this but that statement is absolute rubbish. Why do you think Aminet was created? Lots of people and utulities were available on the Amiga for internet access / file transfer.
LogicDeLuxe wrote: If you don't have a floppy drive in the PC, you can try a nul modem cable and use some terminal software capable of file transfers. And if you don't want to buy an extra cable, you can even connect the Amiga's floppy disk drive to the PC (reading the MS-DOS formatted disk), though you would have to do that several times, until all files are copied.
Yes, I suggested the null modem way further up in the replies. I had forgotten about the CrossDOS capability of the Amiga OS. It was still a pain to transfer a full disks worth of data (even using LHA or another compression program) because the double density, double sided Amiga discs were formatted to 880k (or slightly less with Amiga OS<3.0) while MS-DOS was only 720k, I think from memory.

Jimbob
Dwyloc

Re: SoMI ADF extraction

Post by Dwyloc »

Gary_Oak wrote:Hi everybody! I need some help here if you don't mind, you see I have the four secret of monkey island disks in ADF file format but I don't know how to extract them, so does someone know what I need to use in order to extract these?
Thanks in Advance!
Or you can just do thinks the easy way and use E-UAE or winUAE to mount the disk images and a directory on your hard drive as an emulated Amiga hard drive then you can just copy the files over from the mounted disk image to the directory mounted as a hard drive.

After you have finished copying all the files to the directory you are using as an emulated hard drive all you need to do is move them to your scummvm games directory and us them as normal.

I used this method myself to use my Amiga version Monkey Island (purchased off ebay) on the PC with one additional step first I used Catweasel PCI card and a floppy drive to create the ADF images from the original Amiga disks.
Kaminari

Post by Kaminari »

Quietust wrote:This is, of course, assuming your Amiga has a network card in it (which mine certainly does not)...
Good point. But I started up with a modem, like everyone else I suppose ;)
cappuchok

Re: SoMI ADF extraction

Post by cappuchok »

Dwyloc wrote:
Gary_Oak wrote:Hi everybody! I need some help here if you don't mind, you see I have the four secret of monkey island disks in ADF file format but I don't know how to extract them, so does someone know what I need to use in order to extract these?
Thanks in Advance!
Or you can just do thinks the easy way and use E-UAE or winUAE to mount the disk images and a directory on your hard drive as an emulated Amiga hard drive then you can just copy the files over from the mounted disk image to the directory mounted as a hard drive.
Here's an even easier way, if you've already made the ADF files. Download and install ADFView, then you can explore ADF files as if they were regular folders (much like the ZIP folder view in WinXP).

In case you are transferring via double-density PC disks, you might want to use LZX (freeware found on Aminet) to compress the images. There's an unlzx program available for PC, and the LZX algorithm is far more efficient than the standard LHA one. So much so, in fact, that Microsoft hired the author, bought the LZX format and is still using it as the "highest compression" method of the CAB container format (note though, that the LZX 2.0 format used by Microsoft is not compatible with the LZX 1.x format used by the standalone LZX program on Amiga, so you can't unpack .LZX files with a CAB decompressor.