Android version (G1)

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Android port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

gus
ScummVM Porter

Post by gus »

hachigoro wrote:I have read the FAQ, and you say that to be able to run it on Android you turned it into a JNI library. I know very little of Java but, is the Android NDK supposed to do that? When I read the initial discussion about Android running Java and thus not being able to run ScummVM, the first thing I thought was: "well, with the NDK the problem is solved". Could you tell how you managed to port it so I can understand it? :o
I started the port long before the NDK existed, and I still haven't switched over to using since it still doesn't completely meet my needs.

In particular, for efficiency (speed and size) I use tremor and skia (2D graphics) libraries from Android and direct C++ calls into the audio and graphics systems. None of this is officially supported by the NDK, and is the reason the port doesn't Just Work on Android 2.0.
hachigoro wrote:And regarding the last update splitting into different engines. I think that a 10 MB package should not be a great problem. Dream users usually have Apps2SD on their phones, and the rest of terminals have plenty of free space. And maybe that splitting could make it more difficult to merge your project to the official ScummVM I think.
I did get complaints about the size of the package - but you are right, the previous size (I forget, something like 8Mb installed) was acceptable imo. The main problem was that it was preventing me adding new engines, because each one had a cost for every user. To put it into perspective, the engines that I now have available would be about 15Mb on the flash (10Mb unpacked + 5Mb compressed apks, which is what Android does). Previously I couldn't enable some experimental engine just because someone asked - now I could do so easily.

It is unfortunate that the Android market doesn't make this nicer - any suggestions you have for making this clearer/easier are welcomed.

Oh, and the code/build is structured so that if you don't enable dynamic plugins then you get a monolithic package with whatever engines you have built statically. I don't expect this will cause concerns when merging projects.
hachigoro

Post by hachigoro »

Thanks a lot for your answer. Now everything is clearer for me :)

I'm not sure if your port do it right now, but, as many people will just download the main ScummVM application from the Market, when trying to load a game on Scumm for which you haven't installed the right engine, it could direct you automatically to the Market download of the engine you need. That way people would not have to look for the right engine for their game. This is not a solution, but it may help a bit :roll:
serebei251

Post by serebei251 »

Hi,
First thank you very much for this port, playing point and clicks on my HTC Magic is just ... magic !
I tested Discworld 1 & 2, Simon 1 & 2, Sam and Max, Full Throttle, Day of the tentacle, Flight of the Amazon Queen, Maniac Mansion, and Curse of Monkey Island.
Just so you know, Amazon Queen causes scummVM to crash and the Simons are VERY slow. The other games work just fine and for that thank you again !
There, I hope I've been of some help for the debugging, keep up the good work !

PS : a tip for other Discworld players : to save press % on the virtual keyboard and to load press &.
(the virtual keyboard comes by pressing menu for a couple of seconds)

Edit : I also tried Woodruf and the shnibble of Azimuth and there are some voice and animation glitches.
On a different matter, would it be possible to enhance a bit the trackball ? (add some acceleration should be enough)
Jesugandalf

Post by Jesugandalf »

Anyone knows anything about ScummVM working on Android 2.1 version?

I recently bought a Google Nexus One and I can't play with it anymore :(
nyogo

MI3 error

Post by nyogo »

Hi,

I just installed the ScummVM from Market and the patches(plugins) to my HTC Hero (OS is factory default android 1.5).
The problem is that I tried to run the Curse of Monkey Island 3 CD version, but nothing happens.Just drops me to the home screen.:? I tried BASS and it works flawlessly.

Any suggestions? Please...:)

Thanks!
Comguard

The Dig - Audio Problem

Post by Comguard »

I`ve installed ScummVM on Android 1.6.

Tested Games:

DOTT
Indiana Jones and the fate of Atlantis
Sam and Max

All three games work perfectly.

Only problem I have is The Dig:

Played an hour yesterday, everything was perfect. Today I had to reinstall Scumm and The Dig, and suddenly I have sound and voice acting in the cut scenes, but when I enter the real game there is no sound at all and the game seems to hang up.

Thought maybe the disc is corrupted, but works fine on PC. Any idea what I could do in the sound options to bring the sound back?
gus
ScummVM Porter

Re: MI3 error

Post by gus »

nyogo wrote:I just installed the ScummVM from Market and the patches(plugins) to my HTC Hero (OS is factory default android 1.5).
The problem is that I tried to run the Curse of Monkey Island 3 CD version, but nothing happens.Just drops me to the home screen.:? I tried BASS and it works flawlessly.

Any suggestions? Please...:)
Perhaps you have a missing file that ScummVM requires? Check the Android logs (adb logcat) for clues - anything that ScummVM tries to write to stdout/stderr appears there.

It might also just be a bug and ScummVM is crashing at that point - again the log would say for sure.
gus
ScummVM Porter

Re: The Dig - Audio Problem

Post by gus »

Comguard wrote:I`ve installed ScummVM on Android 1.6.

Tested Games:

DOTT
Indiana Jones and the fate of Atlantis
Sam and Max

All three games work perfectly.

Only problem I have is The Dig:

Played an hour yesterday, everything was perfect. Today I had to reinstall Scumm and The Dig, and suddenly I have sound and voice acting in the cut scenes, but when I enter the real game there is no sound at all and the game seems to hang up.

Thought maybe the disc is corrupted, but works fine on PC. Any idea what I could do in the sound options to bring the sound back?
Strange. Exact same ScummVM version? (I haven't released a new market version in a few months, so provided your previous version was up to date then it should be the same)

Looking at the datafiles list for The Dig, perhaps you forgot to copy one of the .BUN files over? Again, check Android logs (adb logcat) for clues.
nyogo

Post by nyogo »

gus wrote: Perhaps you have a missing file that ScummVM requires? Check the Android logs (adb logcat) for clues - anything that ScummVM tries to write to stdout/stderr appears there.

It might also just be a bug and ScummVM is crashing at that point - again the log would say for sure.
Hi Gus!

Thanks! Could you please check this screen http://www.designatives.com/debug.jpeg? I made a screenshot from the log/debug when tried to start the game and it was closed.

Many thanks!
singalen

Re: The Dig - Audio Problem

Post by singalen »

gus wrote:(I haven't released a new market version in a few months, so provided your previous version was up to date then it should be the same)
Thank you so much!

Though, the last 2 days I looked for scummvm on market and found only plugins. Could it be that host application got lost, or should I search for something other then "scummvm"?

Thank you.

update: Oh, now I see that there is no Android 2 port yet. Lemme try building it...
gus
ScummVM Porter

Post by gus »

nyogo wrote:Could you please check this screen http://www.designatives.com/debug.jpeg? I made a screenshot from the log/debug when tried to start the game and it was closed.
Sorry nyogo, I just realised I hadn't replied to this. That stacktrace says it crashed in GUI::AboutDialog::AboutDialog() (core ScummVM code), which doesn't make much sense.

Especially since you say it works for you for other games - I can only suggest that the version of ScummVM I based that build on must have a memory corruption bug that gets tickled by MI3. A future Android ScummVM build/release will hopefully fix it for you (or at least, have different bugs ;)