4:3 FULLscreen on Widescreen TV?

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Nintendo Wii port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Campi69

4:3 FULLscreen on Widescreen TV?

Post by Campi69 »

Hi!
I've just tried to get a 4:3 fullscreen on my 16:9 LCD TV. There are always black stripes at the top and at the bottom! Is there a way to resize the screen? Full-Screen Mode in the options doesn't change anything!

Kind regards,
Herman the German :D
Flo

Post by Flo »

Play around with the overscan modes.
aculotarpa

Post by aculotarpa »

The overscan options disappeared in recent nightly, I've filled a ticked about this last week.
A far as I know, last version with overscan enabled was the stable 1.0.0
Paperman

Post by Paperman »

Got two problems concerning the last build.
I updated today and test the new revision.
But I got two issues about the screen.

The screen was shrunken and compressed on the 4:3 TV.
Means I got very big black bars left and right and the picture in the middle was crushed.
After I selected "fullscreen", started a game (the issue was also in the game) and return to the menu with gmm, the issue was gone.
But If I deactivate the fullscreen mode, the issue will occur again.

The next problem is:
The whole screen has an offset downside.
Means in some games like Indiana Jones FoA or Monkey Island, the last text line which you can choose in the "Talking menu" (if you are talking with somebody) isn't displayed on the screen.
So the whole screen in every game is moved down.
There is also no possibility to change the offset in scummvm to correct the center of the frame.

I posted in this thread, cause it's concerning the screen. ^^
aculotarpa

Post by aculotarpa »

The first one is not an issue, is a feature meant to obtain the correct 4/3 aspect ratio on 16/9 LCD panels.

The second one is a problem due to lack of overscan option in 1.1 branch. Is the same problem leading to the problem highlighted by Campi69 and me in various treads.

If the overscan option come back, you could reduce the screen size to display the entire screen on your TV an we could fill the screen on ours.
Paperman

Post by Paperman »

I see.
But isn't that confusing?

Why don't u make an option called "16:9 correction"?
This would be clearer than "fullscreen" (which will activate the 4:3 correction o.O).

The suggestion:
Why don't you insert a complete screen correction in scummvm?
Like other projects (wiimc, mplayer, GX Emulators etc)
I mean, to choose the screen shift and the screen zooming.
You can also look at the code of these projects to get the experience how to realize that.

Example:
http://www.google.com/codesearch/p?hl=d ... cd=7&ct=rc

http://www.google.com/codesearch/p?hl=d ... cd=8&ct=rc

I dunno the code of scummvm (I believe it's in c++), but this screen-correction isn't hard to implement.
So you would get rid of the whole Hardware/TV specific properties and the user can set his own solution (depend on the TV, Screen, Beamer etc).

For example: At the moment, I have 3 black bars (upper, left and right side) and the screen is moved downside. If you insert an overscan, I can correct the down-moved-screen. But the bars left, right and upside cannot be corrected (and will become bigger).
A friend of mine, got the problem that his screen is too far on the right side.

Imo it's very important to create a solution for the screen adjustment (so that everyone can optimize the screen/frame of scummvm concerning TV or other Screen-Hardware), especially if you are going to run scummvm on many platforms.

This is just a proposal. :)
No critic or anything like that. ^^
I like your project very much.
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

Forgive me if you're already aware of it but you do know there is a menu in ScummVM for Wii, not the main menu - I can't remember what button you use to access it, which lets you set the screen to whatever size you want. It's part of the menu which also has options for mounting samba shares or using DVDX.
With the aid of sliders you can set the picture anyway you want.
Or have I totally misunderstood you?

Edit: I'm not sure of the exact date when the new menu started to appear. The downloads page is missing an official 1.1 build and I think 1.0 had the old style 'Overscan 1-5' option so at the moment this new menu is only part of the daily unstable Buildbot builds found at the bottom of the Downloads page.
I appreciate some people don't like the idea of unstable versions. I'll just add I've always used them and never had problems with them. That goes for 4 different platforms - Windows, Linux, Nintendo Wii and DS.
Last edited by Red_Breast on Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aculotarpa

Post by aculotarpa »

Red_Breast wrote:Forgive me if you're already aware of it but you do know there is a menu in ScummVM for Wii, not the main menu - I can't remember what button you use to access it, which lets you set the screen to whatever size you want. It's part of the menu which also has options for mounting samba shares or using DVDX.
With the aid of sliders you can set the picture anyway you want.
Or have I totally misunderstood you?
:oops: Shame on me for not RTFM!!!! :oops:
As in READMII.txt, button 1 on Wiimote bring this fine tuning menu. In this file are also explained all the new graphic mode combination to obtain a perfect picture in every circumstance.
Thank you Red_Breast for this highlight!
Last edited by aculotarpa on Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

Sorry, I forgot until I just booted up the Wii, it seems you need to start a game first and then it's the number 1 button.
I can't work out why it's in-game only although I'm no coder. There could be an easy explanation.
By the way it's the R button for Gamecube pads. Speaking of which this menu also has an input tab where you can adjust the pad's sensitivity and acceleration. Sweet for those of us who like waving our birds :wink:

It seems a few people have missed this in-game menu looking at this thread. I haven't looked at it for sometime because I thought Flo answered when he/she said about using the overscan options. I guess some people haven't found the new overscan options.
Paperman

Post by Paperman »

Oh wow.
I read the old "read me". There was nothing about Button 1.^^
Great thing, so far.
The horizontal and vertical overscanning is fantastic.
The only thing which is missing is the screen offset.
But then it's perfect. :D