Pity this is dying...

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's PocketPC/HandheldPC port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

NLS

Pity this is dying...

Post by NLS »

I know the devs will run and deny it, but it all shows the WM build is slowly dying.

Maybe the news of WP7 (and its totally different coding scheme) has frozen things further, still it's a pity.

This port never really adapted well to the new resolutions and new devices.

It more or less "works", but the WM build is way far from the polish other versions have.

Anyway...
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Yeah, it's a pity that no more volunteers turn up to help us with this. Our primary WinCE porter has to serve his military service, and apparently the whole WinCE community does not have any capable and interested programmers to help out.

A pity, indeed.
NLS

Post by NLS »

I know there are capable programmers in WinCE community (contacted a couple with no luck), after all Windows CE and Windows Mobile development is 99.5% same with desktop development (same tools work etc.).

I think the problem is that the whole WM community is in flux right now. We don't know what is gonna happen when WP7 is out and WP7 seems to be all Silverlight and XNA (no Java etc. and no other unmanaged code).

The thing is that WM as we currently know it, has at least two more "good" years. It is already stated that it will stay in the market IN PARALLEL with WP7 for a while, plus we must not forget the established base (I for one don't plan to sell my HD2 and my TP any time soon).

Pity... I would really love a multitouch enabled, 640x800 optimized for Snapdragon (1GHz :() SCUMMVM...
robinwatts
ScummVM Developer

Post by robinwatts »

[quote="NLS"]Pity... I would really love a multitouch enabled, 640x800 optimized for Snapdragon (1GHz :() SCUMMVM...[/quote]

So, what's the problem? That's still an ARM based device, and all the nice shiny optimised code that already exists will run even more nicely and shinily on that.

What exactly is it that people feel is missing? Smarter selection of scalers etc?

How exactly would multitouch help?

Robin
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

To clarify what I wrote: I do not doubt that there are many capable WinCE programmers; but capable *and* interested (in ScummVM) programmers are scarce, it seems.

I am not quite sure what your posts are trying to achieve, NLS, though...
bobdevis

Post by bobdevis »

NLS wrote: I think the problem is that the whole WM community is in flux right now. We don't know what is gonna happen when WP7 is out and WP7 seems to be all Silverlight and XNA (no Java etc. and no other unmanaged code).
Mozilla is retreating from the platform for the same reason it seems. No native code allowed means no Mobile Firefox(and no ScummVM either).
pilaxoft

Post by pilaxoft »

I´m workig with a SVN in a HP1935.
I own one HD, a HD2, a Qtek 9000, etc and I prefer my little (i)pack.
I don´t need more games for ten years since I have time problems to finish the games I own in ScummVm for WInCE.
For those who works in scumm interpreter thanks in advance.
Thraka

Post by Thraka »

I just bought the HD2.. Just loaded this on there. Sad face here. No real hardware buttons to map, games are just too small to use your fingers to navigate a mouse.
robinwatts
ScummVM Developer

Post by robinwatts »

Thraka wrote:I just bought the HD2.. Just loaded this on there. Sad face here. No real hardware buttons to map, games are just too small to use your fingers to navigate a mouse.
Start ScummVM. Click Options. Under the GFX tab, set the Graphics mode to 2x. Try again.

Should be easier for you now...

Robin
pilaxoft

Post by pilaxoft »

Thanks fo the new release in split and unique versions.
You are doing a very good work. Please, go on this way.