Help test the new onscreen keyboard!

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's PSP (PlayStation Portable) port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Bluddy
ScummVM Developer

Help test the new onscreen keyboard!

Post by Bluddy »

Hey guys

Thanks to pix's input, I've made a modified version of the Danzeff keyboard that works with the D-Pad. I'm about to commit the keyboard to trunk. If you'd like to give the keyboard a try and provide some feedback, now's the time to do it.

Here's the link:
http://www.easy-share.com/1908506533/scummvm_kb.zip

Use select to show the keyboard but also hold it down to move the keyboard onscreen. The right trigger and left trigger shuffle through different input modes, and are also used to select the keys in red. Enter is the start button, which also makes the keyboard go away so you can see the response clearly onscreen.

I've managed to reduce the size in memory from the Danzeff's huge 2MB+ to only 200KB using 4-bit images, so that this keyboard actually takes up less space than the previous one!

Also, let me know how fast you're able to write with it. I'm hoping that with a little practice, it can get quite efficient.

enjoy,

Bluddy
Pix2

Post by Pix2 »

Thanks a lot for this Bluddy. I've given it a fairly good go on a few SCI games. I had every intention of playing all the way through Space Quest 3 but unfortunately restoring a game in SCI crashes the PSP within about 30 seconds in the latest build and those Sierra games have far too many deaths for me to get very far in one go.

With the little practice I've had this is 10 times faster for me than the old keyboard. It was a while before I figured out that start pressed return and closed the keyboard but I was getting pretty quick once I had that sorted. I can happily play SCI0 games with this.

This is spot on for me and I've no suggestions to improve it. Someone could do with updating the compilation instructions on the wiki to include libpng + your zip file with the png's isn't being included in the nightly builds so that needs fixing.
Jinx1337

Post by Jinx1337 »

Hey Bluddy, hey Pix.

Again, thank you both for your wonderful input to the ScummVM project. I'm itching to test your modified OSK Bluddy, but I've been so busy with my personal stuff that I even forgot where I put my PSP last month...

I'll try to give it a whirl this weekend.
Bluddy
ScummVM Developer

Post by Bluddy »

Thanks guys.

Working on adding kbd.zip to the nightly build.

Sorry to hear about the SCI problem. I'll try to see if it's something the SCI guys are aware of.

Bluddy
McKnallski

Post by McKnallski »

The Feeble Files crashes now. The Menus and Cutscenes are working fine, but ingame screen crashes at once (I´m using the German Version). The Cursor in Flight of the Amazon Queen is not moving smooth anymore (poor Framerate). Besides, I can move the new keyboard out of the screen using the SELECT key. And I´m missing the ENTER key on the Keyboard. But overall, the new keyboard is a nice renewal. Shortly I will make a few more tests with other games.
Bluddy
ScummVM Developer

Post by Bluddy »

Enter is available using the start key. It'll also make the keyboard go away so you can see the game's response.

I considered limiting how far you can move the keyboard on screen, but some people might want to have it hanging mostly offscreen (let's say halfway offscreen) so I didn't put in a limit. Maybe I should put in some limit though.

Regarding the crash and slowdown, please make sure you're using the latest nightly build ie. not the build in this thread as it's already outdated. If you are, check the corresponding latest desktop nightly build to see if Feeble crashes there. I'll have to find a spare memory stick to test it.

Bluddy
McKnallski

Post by McKnallski »

I think you should set the limit so that the keyboard is still a bit visible at the edge of the screen. So that the user knows in which direction he should move it back to center it again. I tested the Problems with the latest nightly build. The Cursor slowdown of Flight of the amazon Queen is still there when the Hero is moving and the crash with The Feeble Files still exists.

I have now tested Discworld and I noticed slowdowns in places with more animated Characters (i.e. the Dining Room above the kitchen).

The Cursor-slowdowns are also present in the ScummVM game selection menu. But when I come back from a game into this menu, the slowdowns have disappeared (but they are still in the mentioned games). I tested all this in the 1.0.0 version too. There are no slowdowns and crashes.
Bluddy
ScummVM Developer

Post by Bluddy »

I like the idea of limiting the keyboard movement. I'll incorporate it when I have a chance.

I'm currently playing Discworld for the first time and I haven't noticed any slowdown. Maybe it's only noticeable if I compare it to 1.0.0. I also booted up FOTAQ and didn't notice cursor slowdown. Can anyone else confirm whether there is slowdown?

Bluddy
McKnallski

Post by McKnallski »

I'm looking forward to the new limit (I never thought to say something like that). :P

It is not really about slowdowns. It's just that the cursor is not moving as smoothly as before.

[EDIT] Wed Dec 30, 2009
The Feeble Files is working again since the current Build!
Bluddy
ScummVM Developer

Post by Bluddy »

OK I limited the motion of the keyboard onscreen. Sorry it took so long to get to it.

Also, I'm glad to hear Feeble is working again... I don't know where I placed that other memory stick to test it with :)

Be sure to leave feedback about the new d-pad arrow functionality!
McKnallski

Post by McKnallski »

Good things take time. The limitation is very good. You lose the keyboard just out of sight when it is moved into one of the four corners. But it is not difficult to rediscover it :-). Very good job.
Jinx1337

Post by Jinx1337 »

Finally got the time to test your keyboard implementation Bluddy!

It's wonderful, having a blast playing Space Quest 2 now.

Also, some SCI1.1 games like Freddy Pharkas, Larry 5 or SQ1 VGA.

Sometimes buggy, but nevertheless - a trip to the past for me I've been awaiting so much. Thank you!