finish a commercial official product in app-store?

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's iPhone port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Sunlight

finish a commercial official product in app-store?

Post by Sunlight »

Hi,

I want to submit a agi-game with ScummVM (ScummVM with the official game-codes/files) at apple to release it at the AppStore.

Did anyone know something more about this? What must be done, is there anything, which is important to know? Is the right-situation for ScummVM ok? Are there any fees to pay? Does it technical work?

Best, Marco
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

If you want to base this on ScummVM, you have to comply to the GPL license to the letter. In particular, you would have to release the full source code of your application.
seubz

Post by seubz »

Actually, he wouldn't need to release his whole game under GPL, as nothing is statically linked to ScummVM. If he uses a modified version of ScummVM, then he would need to release the modified source only, wouldn't he ?
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

I guess I expressed myself unclear: The AGI game itself would indeed not need to be opened up (i.e. the game scripts and data files).

But in order to release that game via the AppStore, clearly a binary executable is required. Which as I understand Sunlight, is going to be based on ScummVM. This binary would then be a derived work, and full source for it would have to be disclosed. Since an unmodified ScummVM would not likely to be accepted by the AppStore, I assumed (and still assume) that Sunlight intends to modify ScummVM for this purpose. Hence my remark :).
Sunlight

Post by Sunlight »

Hi,

hmmm. Yes I am asking, if it will be possible, to use ScummVM to put the complete and finished game, which was done with AGI, and release it on the iPhone. Or is there another chance to get a still finished game running on the iPhone?

Best, Marco
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Sunlight / Marco,

I think we already answered your question: You can, *if* you release the full source code to your binary (not necessarily the script code) in full accordance to the GPL -- which you should read and try to understand in full detail. Ideally, get a lawyer to consult on with you on ("ideally" here means: for your own good, personally, I don't care whether you do it on your own or ask for legal advice :). And I think you *will* have to modify ScummVM for it to comply with the AppStore guidelines, and also to carry your games branding; so that means there will be code that has to be released.

If you specify which point is unclear, we can happily discuss it.

After I get back from sickbed, that is, which I shouldn't have left this morning, but I am too bored *sigh*. In the meantime, others may be able to help :)