Discworld II

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Symbian (mobile phones, etc) ports

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Crundy

Discworld II

Post by Crundy »

Horaay! My DW2 discs arrived in the post today from fleaBay, so I hurredly copied the required files to my new ScummVM installation on my Nokia 5800xm only to find the sound and voice in the cutscenes is really choppy and annoying!

Anyone know why and how to fix it?
Freddo

Post by Freddo »

The 369MHz ARM11 CPU (overclocked to 434MHz in the latest firmware) in the Nokia 5800XM isn't fast enough, sorry. So there isn't really anything you can do about it.

They work fine on a Nokia E52, though, which have a 600MHz CPU. But it also have a smaller screen resolution and no touchscreen.
Crundy

Post by Crundy »

Bugger. Is there any way to downscale the videos so they will play?
Freddo

Post by Freddo »

Not that I know of.
Mataku

Post by Mataku »

the cutscenes aren't all that great anyways :P
be grateful that the game itself runs fine. there's a WIP compression tool for tinsel, but i don't know if it includes the movie files.
Crundy

Post by Crundy »

Yeah, normally I wouldn't care, but the sound is really irritating. I'll have a play around, but I'm not wasting a fiver so I'll just play it on the laptop at home if I can't play it on the go.

So this is a straight-out hardware issue and can never be fixed?
Mataku

Post by Mataku »

donno. maybe the new v40 firmware could have better results. I hear it has better RAM management, so it MIGHT help.
Crundy

Post by Crundy »

Additional problem in that I'm with Three, and they haven't authorised the v31 update, so I'm stuck with v30 until they get their arses in gear (knowing them, never).