How to import Riven to Scummvm??!!??!!??

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

kstab

How to import Riven to Scummvm??!!??!!??

Post by kstab »

I was very excited to find out that Riven is now supported by scummvm.

http://clone2727.blogspot.com/2009/12/end.html

Yet i don't know how to ipmort riven to scummvm.

Could someone please inform me how to import riven to scummvm?

I own an iphone 3GS and the original CD version of Riven.

Thank you very much for every answer.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: How to import Riven to Scummvm??!!??!!??

Post by eriktorbjorn »

kstab wrote:I was very excited to find out that Riven is now supported by scummvm.
"Supported" is probably over-stating it a bit. I'm not familiar enough with the game to say how playable it is, but from what I understand there are still missing features (possibly missing puzzles as well). Though you can at least walk around inside the game, fiddling with stuff, and it appears to be in way better shape than Myst.

The data files page has a list of the necessary data files. Of course, this is still only valid for the development version of ScummVM. The stable versions don't support Riven at all.
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

I would think anybody with even the smallest bit of experience with ScummVM would know how to run a game as it's always the same. That might sound a little rude kstab but bear with me.

1. Find out what files are needed.
2. Make a folder ('Riven') and copy all the files needed off the disc(s) to the folder. If the files needed hasn't been documented then just copy the lot.
3. Start ScummVM, select 'Add Game' and point ScummVM to the Riven folder.

So when you say you don't know how to import it I get the impression you've never used ScummVM or maybe you're trying the above but ScummVM isn't detecting the game. In which case your version of ScummVM hasn't been compiled to include the Mohawk engine.
I don't know if the daily builds, the ones you find at the bottom of the downloads page, have Mohawk turned on as I compile my own builds. Maybe somebody could answer that but the other thing is your platform. The iPhone. Some platforms, for example the DS, just don't have the power to run all the games that ScummVM supports. I don't know much about the iPhone so I don't know if it's possible or not.

Like Erik said it isn't actually supported yet so you won't be able to complete it but maybe you just want to have a look anyway. It might be worth posting in the iPhone forum for answers.
clone2727
Retired

Re: How to import Riven to Scummvm??!!??!!??

Post by clone2727 »

eriktorbjorn wrote:"Supported" is probably over-stating it a bit. I'm not familiar enough with the game to say how playable it is, but from what I understand there are still missing features (possibly missing puzzles as well). Though you can at least walk around inside the game, fiddling with stuff
Riven is playable until trying to access the domes. You can get to Tay, however. The marble puzzle is just bypassed currently. Most of the missing features are puzzles, transitions and background videos excluded.
eriktorbjorn wrote:and it appears to be in way better shape than Myst.
That's an understatement :P
Red_Breast wrote:I don't know if the daily builds, the ones you find at the bottom of the downloads page, have Mohawk turned on as I compile my own builds.
All daily builds from the buildbot should have all engines enabled.
kstab

Post by kstab »

Thanks a lot for your replies...

I won't think of anyone as rude. On the contrary, i am always excited with the usefulleness of this forum and the members' willingness to help others!!!

(3 replies within a few hours is way beyond my expectations)

@Clone2727
Keep up the good job. Eager to play Riven through scummvm at its full abillities...

Thanks again