Grim Fandango on windows mobile?

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's PocketPC/HandheldPC port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

jonnyapps

Grim Fandango on windows mobile?

Post by jonnyapps »

HI, new to here. Is there a way to run grim fandango on my windows mobile based PDA?

Thanks

Jon
clem

Re: Grim Fandango on windows mobile?

Post by clem »

jonnyapps wrote:Is there a way to run grim fandango on my windows mobile based PDA?
nope, not as far as I know
flatface

Post by flatface »

Not a chance. Hate to break it to you :/
Adventureguy

Post by Adventureguy »

Hmm, that would be really interesting to play on a PDA. But I guess even if the Residual programme would be technically developed enough to play Grim Fandango to the end, it would be pointless to port Residual for Pocket PCs, right? They don't have any 3D graphic cards, so you can forget the idea.
Solipsist

Post by Solipsist »

GF worked well with software rendering in its day, it's just a matter of writing a compatible engine.
Chaostar

Post by Chaostar »

And consider that some PPCs like the Dell Axim x51v have a 3D accelerator graphics card with 16MB video ram (the card is Intel 2700G). It would be interesting to see it put to more use. Only a few games have used this extra power.
Cheers!
Herrscher

Post by Herrscher »

Even newer mobile phones (Sony-Ericsson XXX, ...) have 3D-acceleration, and GF just has some low-poly models and needed a P-133 only. This can be topped by any modern phone or PDA... :wink:
Adventureguy

Post by Adventureguy »

Oh, I didn't know there are already PDAs with 3D-cards available. Well, if Residual is finally finished, it would be great to play it on a PocketPC wherever you are :) . But this can take a long time until Residual is working with no problems at all.
pncFreak

Post by pncFreak »

Solipsist wrote:GF worked well with software rendering in its day, it's just a matter of writing a compatible engine.

Does anyone know if residual/Grim Fandango will be portable to WinCE (software rendered)?
oduverne

Post by oduverne »

Yes, a software renderer is implemented in residual:

"Residual is a ScummVM (http://www.scummvm.org/) sub-project to play LucasArts' LUA-based 3D adventures, such as Grim Fandango. Residual utilizes OpenGL for 3d graphics hardware acceleration.
A software renderer is also included for machines without hardware OpenGL."
pncFreak

Post by pncFreak »

oduverne wrote:Yes, a software renderer is implemented in residual:

"Residual is a ScummVM (http://www.scummvm.org/) sub-project to play LucasArts' LUA-based 3D adventures, such as Grim Fandango. Residual utilizes OpenGL for 3d graphics hardware acceleration.
Thank you.
Does anyone work on a WinCE port?
garrythefish

Post by garrythefish »

jonnyapps wrote:HI, new to here. Is there a way to run grim fandango on my windows mobile based PDA?

Thanks

Jon
That would be a site. Grim Fandango on your PDA. Excellent :D

oduverne wrote:Yes, a software renderer is implemented in residual:

I must point out that this is, as of January 2009, outdated, for that people that will bump up here in the future.

The Residual is now a separate project, with a separate forum and a [url=irc://irc.freenode.net/scummvm]separate IRC channel[/url]. Anything connected to the Grim Fandango can be found in these places and handled with max efficiency. Also more similar games yet to come.

Cheers :)