Problems with Legend of Kyrandia

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Nintendo DS port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

dolligan

Problems with Legend of Kyrandia

Post by dolligan »

Hi, I can't get this to work. Every time I try launching it it tells me that kyra.dat is missing or corrupt. But I have re-downloaded the file (as suggested) and I still get this error. Can anyone help? I used the version of kyra.day found here http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Kyra is that the right one?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: Problems with Legend of Kyrandia

Post by eriktorbjorn »

dolligan wrote:Hi, I can't get this to work. Every time I try launching it it tells me that kyra.dat is missing or corrupt. But I have re-downloaded the file (as suggested) and I still get this error. Can anyone help? I used the version of kyra.day found here http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Kyra is that the right one?
I thought ScummVM included a suitable kyra.dat file already. (If it does, I guess there could be a problem if there's an older one lying around where ScummVM can find it.)
migdal-or

Post by migdal-or »

I have the same problem with ScummVM on my N800.
I had it and solved it at my Linux box with this archive, you need file revision 29959. But none of the versions of kyra.dat file worked with my N800 box.

Wow! I can run it by using the 32th version of kyra.dat file (Revision 32075) and an outdated 0.11.99 version of ScummVM!
But the current version 1.0.0 does not work with this file.
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

migdal-or wrote:I have the same problem with ScummVM on my N800.
I had it and solved it at my Linux box with this archive, you need file revision 29959. But none of the versions of kyra.dat file worked with my N800 box.

Wow! I can run it by using the 32th version of kyra.dat file (Revision 32075) and an outdated 0.11.99 version of ScummVM!
But the current version 1.0.0 does not work with this file.
For ScummVM 1.0.0 you'll need this kyra.dat file: http://scummvm.svn.sourceforge.net/view ... sion=45738
migdal-or

Post by migdal-or »

Okay, this works.

Why is there all this mystic and shadows? It's even easier to solve Kyrandia's puzzles than to run the game itself :)
Is the kyra.dat files behavior documented anyway? How can the normal experienced user guess which file does he need to download? The file you pointed is not even available at the whole archive page...

Version 0.11/Linux works with 17th release of kyra.dat file. Version 0.11.99/maemo works with 32th. Version 1.00.00/maemo works with some other file.
Versions 0.11/Linux and 0.11.99/maemo just say when run: invalid KYRA.DAT file version (???, required ***)
I see that the increase of scummvm version numbers accompanies with increase of kyra.dat version numbers. But what's the rule? The table of compatibility? Any point?
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

migdal-or wrote:Okay, this works.

Why is there all this mystic and shadows? It's even easier to solve Kyrandia's puzzles than to run the game itself :)
Is the kyra.dat files behavior documented anyway? How can the normal experienced user guess which file does he need to download? The file you pointed is not even available at the whole archive page...

Version 0.11/Linux works with 17th release of kyra.dat file. Version 0.11.99/maemo works with 32th. Version 1.00.00/maemo works with some other file.
Versions 0.11/Linux and 0.11.99/maemo just say when run: invalid KYRA.DAT file version (???, required ***)
I see that the increase of scummvm version numbers accompanies with increase of kyra.dat version numbers. But what's the rule? The table of compatibility? Any point?
kyra.dat gets updated with additional data as support for more kyra games (especially Lands of Lore) gets improved, so it's normal for newer versions of ScummVM to use a newer version of the file, containing more data. Most users don't have an issue with this, as the appropriate version of kyra.dat is packaged inside the ScummVM archive
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

The rule of thumb is: If you download an official ScummVM release, use the kyra.dat that is shipped along with it. If you use a build from the latest source code, then also use the latest kyra.dat version.
migdal-or

Post by migdal-or »

Fine, I already said this in another thread, but Linux users do not get kyra.dat because of packages system. It would be perfect to describe the situation for us :)
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

migdal-or wrote:Fine, I already said this in another thread, but Linux users do not get kyra.dat because of packages system. It would be perfect to describe the situation for us :)
Actually in case you are using the latest version there's still the correct download link on: http://scummvm.sourceforge.net/downloads/#extras

And it is also linked from over here: http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Kyra#General (that kyra.dat link for the latest ScummVM was outdated there though... just fixed that).