Loom CD Version "Controversy"

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

MasterGrazzt

Post by MasterGrazzt »

I'll have to remove that from the wikipedia article, then.
Kaminari

Post by Kaminari »

Excuse me for asking, but are you the author of this article? The technical part is quite ill-informed and adds unecessary fuel to the urban legends surrounding the various versions of this game.

As we all know, the usual reasons advanced for the missing close-ups (not enough room on the CD, lip-sync impossible to implement) are pure speculation. There's still plenty of room available on the CD, and the final dialogue between Mandible and Bobbin is actually lip-synched.

Excerpt from Wiki:
Orson Scott Card is credited as have rwitten the CD version dialogue. However Card says on his website that rather Brian Moriarty generously put his name into the credits. He may have helped edit the CD version, since it is mostly the original
You might want to fix the spelling errors. Besides, I don't understand the last sentence (is it complete?). What is mostly the original? There's no point in insisting on the fictitious role played by Card in the VGA version -- he didn't write a single line for the game. Isn't his own official word enough?
MasterGrazzt

Post by MasterGrazzt »

No, I'm not. Wikipedia articles can be edited by absolutely anyone who comes to view them, unless they are protected, which is only for articles that have been experiencing a high amount of vandalism. I'm a registered Wikipedia contributor/editor, though. That just means I have an account.

I might clean up the article more so than removing the Card entry, which I did last night. However, someone seems to have put my explination for doing so into the article proper. I suppose it is necessary to address the Card myth and correct it, but it should be phrased in a better way.

I have a feeling that it might lead to an "edit war", though.
MasterGrazzt

Post by MasterGrazzt »

I changed it. See what you think now?
Lord Savage

Post by Lord Savage »

Hopefully not too many will do this :roll: after reading my comment about the whole Floppy/Towns/TG16 vs. CD thing.

The one thing that has always annoyed the bejezzus out of me with Floppy/Towns/TG16 versions is that Bobbin refuses to refer to himself with I. If the messenger nymph can refer to it's itself as I; why the H-E-Double-Hockey-Sticks can't Bobbin do the same. I wanted to reach into the computer screen and throttle Bobbin every time he did it! :twisted:

I was so relieved when the "corrected" CD version came out that I overlooked it's other shortcomings.

Yes, I have issues... :shock:

:D
Kaminari

Post by Kaminari »

Sorry Grazzt if I sounded a bit rude, I was just overly inquisitive.

Your changes add a much welcome clarification -- thanks! I know all too well about the editing wars, that's why I stopped contributing to Wikipedia some months ago. Too bad because this is a wonderful project.
Krofinzki

Post by Krofinzki »

Question: Why is it that the FM-Towns version has music but no voice, while the CD version has voice but no music? Isn't there any version that has both? Or would it be possible to implent it some way?
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

Krofinzki wrote:Or would it be possible to implent it some way?
Not the way the game is coded, as both are CD audio and you only can play one piece of audio at a given time.
Even that limit could be broken easily having the tracks in the Ogg Vorbis format (or MP3, FLAC), supporting this would require altering all the game scripts.
Krofinzki

Post by Krofinzki »

LogicDeLuxe wrote:...supporting this would require altering all the game scripts.
Exactly. Would this be possible? .. Or maybe against the law?
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

Krofinzki wrote:Or maybe against the law?
I guess not, as long as you give it away as a patch. There are several inofficial language patches for game versions not available in certain languages. Patching Loom Talkie to play all the music would be a similar thing.
Though, making such a patch is not that simple considering that the SCUMM developement tools are not available to the public.
Krofinzki

Post by Krofinzki »

LogicDeLuxe wrote:
Krofinzki wrote:Or maybe against the law?
I guess not, as long as you give it away as a patch. There are several inofficial language patches for game versions not available in certain languages. Patching Loom Talkie to play all the music would be a similar thing.
Though, making such a patch is not that simple considering that the SCUMM developement tools are not available to the public.
I guess we can only hope that one of the dev's would consider it then :)
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

Krofinzki wrote:I guess we can only hope that one of the dev's would consider it then :)
Since they don't officially support modified games and they certainly don't modify them theirself, I guess not.