LucasArts Posters - The better thread

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Longcat

Post by Longcat »

Is it just me or does Indys arm in the Temple of Doom poster look really weird?

edit; Anyway, if anyone is looking for a Brutal Legend poster, this is the best I could find:
http://cdn.brutallegend.net/media/bruta ... 250101.jpg

This one is pretty sweet as well:
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.joystiq.com/ ... art-16.jpg
Last edited by Longcat on Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Laserschwert

Post by Laserschwert »

Jonatan wrote:Anyway, if anyone is looking for a Brutal Legend poster, this is the best I could find:
C'moooon... Google's image search makes it so easy finding the highest resolution version of available material... so you could just have found THIS bigger version... or THIS poster... :P
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

Well, I did mean best in way of visual style, not resolution, but ok.

I wanted to get in touch with you about a GK2 poster too btw, I have a clean image of the boxart which should be good enough to blow up to poster size and I've done it myself, but I think it would be safer if you made your own version. If you are interested that is, there shouldn't be much work involved at all.
Laserschwert

Post by Laserschwert »

Jonatan wrote:Well, I did mean best in way of visual style, not resolution, but ok.
Ah, I see... in that case: Good choice :)
Jonatan wrote:I wanted to get in touch with you about a GK2 poster too btw, I have a clean image of the boxart which should be good enough to blow up to poster size and I've done it myself, but I think it would be safer if you made your own version. If you are interested that is, there shouldn't be much work involved at all.
Sure, upload it somewhere and send me a link. I'll have a look at it.
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

Here:

http://maybe.means.no/Laserschwert/The% ... Within.jpg

It's the wallpaper that was released originally by Sierra back in the day when the game came out. I haven't been able to find a higher res image since then, but it worked out pretty well when I blew it up to the size you use for your posters and tinkered a little with it. But you can probably do a much better job;)

I have the original box as well, should you need additional scans. I made a cropped portrait and a regular landscape version.
THELOOMWEAVER

Post by THELOOMWEAVER »

Great thread guys as you can see I'm new!love the dig , loom ,monkey island ect....Dont mean to sound dumb...

if ive got this right? what you do is take the images and find companys that will produce them into real posters is that right?

From what ive gathered the images have to have a certain value...DPI and measurements ...i take it you cant use any image that looks ok as it wont translate quality wise into a good poster?

how many dpis and size do you suggest for creating effective posters? do you ask for them to be produced on certain types and sizes of paper.

is their any particular tools u use for resizing images ect

any advice would be appreciated thanks?

sorry if i sound daft...im good with computer games set scumm up with all the games no probs but cant do nothing technical lol..i can never do coding and play with builds and stuff lol

my experience from printing images off has been terrible quality nothing of a personal standard...using a crappy colourjet printer tho...i take it the professionals replicate it to a poster standard?

ps anywhere know where we can buy .. monkey island , dig, beaneth steel sky ect concept art and merchandise? thanks
bobdevis

Post by bobdevis »

What worked for me last time I needed something bigger then A4 is asking a shop that does wedding photos, birth/funeral/business cards and the like. They had an impressive A2 printer that did the job.
Wasn't expensive either.

There is no DPI problem. Just get the highest resolution picture you can get of what you want printed. The print software will scale it down if it is too big.
If the people at the shop are too dim to figure out how to make this happen, find another print shop :)
THELOOMWEAVER

Post by THELOOMWEAVER »

bobdevis wrote:What worked for me last time I needed something bigger then A4 is asking a shop that does wedding photos, birth/funeral/business cards and the like. They had an impressive A2 printer that did the job.
Wasn't expensive either.

There is no DPI problem. Just get the highest resolution picture you can get of what you want printed. The print software will scale it down if it is too big.
If the people at the shop are too dim to figure out how to make this happen, find another print shop :)
cheers dude Ive been in ebay and did a search for turn your photo into a poster and canvas so going to try it ...pretty awsome idea picking out images from your favourite classic retro games and getting them made up for your wall
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

Did you get a chance to look at the GK2 thingy yet Laserschwert? :) Any hope?
Laserschwert

Post by Laserschwert »

Yeah, I think it should work... but I haven't done anything yet ;-)
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

No rush:) just wanted to know if you had seen in and if it was usable or not. Thanx.
Morden

Post by Morden »

THELOOMWEAVER wrote:is their any particular tools u use for resizing images ect
There are several options for resizing images and those also depend on what kind of software you're using. If you're looking for something more advanced, you could always pay $160 for Genuine Fractals. The tool achieves great results, even though the example seen on the page doesn't really show it, plus they compared it against PhotoShop bicubic smoother [default for enlargement], so it's only natural that it won't look as sharp.

onOne actually bought the rights to Liquid Resize, which used to be free, so you might want to look for that somewhere.
Frogacuda

Post by Frogacuda »

Hey Laserschwert, do you think you could illuminate the process you use for these a bit more? I have some moderately high res clean images and some higher res images with a more troublesome halftone pattern and both get beat up a bit by the time I'm done cleaning them. I can tell our process is similar, but I think you're using some third-party plug-ins that are better than the built-in stuff.

What plugins/filters do you use, what order, and then what do you use for touch up if not the basic airbrush (I've found touching up these images to be harder than most because of the grain)?

Greatly appreciated. Also, if anyone wants I could share my results, but they're mostly non-adventure game related (you guys covered that quite well before I got here).
Laserschwert

Post by Laserschwert »

For removing the half-tone pattern I use the "Fast Fourier Transformation"-plugin for Photoshop. For reducing noise and such I mostly use NeatImage. And upscaling is best done with Alien Skin Blowup. The rest is blood and sweat... a sense for color and composition and knowing your tools.
Last edited by Laserschwert on Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frogacuda

Post by Frogacuda »

That helps, thanks. Some of my results are actually getting pretty decent now.