Installation problems

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's iPhone port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

davidc02

Installation problems

Post by davidc02 »

When trying to add the source to Cydia I get the following message:
The indicated repository could not be found. This could be because you are trying too add a legacy Installer repository...

On Installer I am able to add the source (urbanfanatics.com/scummvm.xml), but there is nothing under the games category, nor I get any results when I search for ScummVM..

Trying this on an iPhone 3G with 2.2.1
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Re: Installation problems

Post by Vinterstum »

davidc02 wrote:When trying to add the source to Cydia I get the following message:
The indicated repository could not be found. This could be because you are trying too add a legacy Installer repository...

On Installer I am able to add the source (urbanfanatics.com/scummvm.xml), but there is nothing under the games category, nor I get any results when I search for ScummVM..

Trying this on an iPhone 3G with 2.2.1
The error message is right on the money :).

Please read the installation instructions here: http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/IPhone
davidc02

Post by davidc02 »

That's what I was reading when trying to install it... What am I missing?
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

davidc02 wrote:That's what I was reading when trying to install it... What am I missing?
Since you're using Cydia, use the Cydia instructions (the top ones) and not the Installer ones.
davidc02

Post by davidc02 »

Vinterstum wrote:
davidc02 wrote:That's what I was reading when trying to install it... What am I missing?
Since you're using Cydia, use the Cydia instructions (the top ones) and not the Installer ones.
Sorry what I ment was that I tried both Cydia and Installer and neither worked.

It is working now on Cydia, downloading... Thanks for reply.
yeah yeah

Post by yeah yeah »

anananas

Post by anananas »

Hi everyone

I know that I'm stupid but I have the same problem and I don't understand the instructions:

It reads as follows:
* Start Cydia
--> Done that (easy one)

* Go to the Sections tab, and find the "Repositories" section.
--> Done that as well (easy too :))

* Select and install the UrbanFanatics.com source
--> Here I have the problem. How do I select the "UrbanFanatics.com source" if it is not there? So I guessed what the instruction is trying to tell my is to add "urbanfanatics.com" as a new repository. But when I try to do that with just the URL (http://urbanfanatics.com) I get an error message that it is not a source. Also tried (since im desperate) to add the xml file (http://urbanfanatics.com/scummvm.xml) but that doesn't work either (since it is used for the installer - not for cydia).

Can somebody please assist me?

Thanks in advance and sorry in advance for the stupid question.

Cheers
anananas
anananas

Post by anananas »

ahh - searching more I think I found out what to do:

On the home screen of Cydia select the point "More Package Sources" and there you'll find UrbanFanatics!

Perhaps somebody else who has this problem will be able to solve it with this information.

Cheers
anananas
kilroy

Post by kilroy »

you are having issues because the wiki article is incorrect for the cydia source it is in fact
http://UrbanFanatics.com/cydia
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

kilroy wrote:you are having issues because the wiki article is incorrect for the cydia source it is in fact
http://UrbanFanatics.com/cydia
The wiki article says to select the source package in Cydia, not to type the URL in directly. So it's correct :).
ichidan

Post by ichidan »

I just registered to say that I think the wiki is a little confusing. I too had trouble trying to get the repository, eventually I discovered this topic and things were cleared up.

The problem is that the wiki says:

* Start Cydia
* Go to the Sections tab, and find the "Repositories" section.
* Select and install the UrbanFanatics.com source
* ScummVM should now be in "Games" section, ready for you to install!

However, there is nothing to select and install here. What it should really say is:

Go to the HOME screen, scroll down, and click on the "More Package Sources", then scroll down the list and click on UrbanFanatics.

It is impossible to add the source by going to the sections tab. unless you do something that is not described in the wiki instructions. It's a great job and all, but the wiki is wrong, and most people will not be able to install ScummVM because they will follow the wiki instructions to a T. Update it, and more people will use it.
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

Looks like the Cydia layout was changed at some point after the instructions were written. Updated, thanks.

EDIT: Eh, actually no. A shortcut was added on the front page, but it's still possible to install the source using the Repositories entry in the Sections tab. So the instructions were still correct. That is, unless this section is somehow hidden by default for people who choose the "Graphical only" filter when they first start up Cydia. But that would be silly.
dpolsrod

Post by dpolsrod »

I've installed the UrbanFanatics.com repository/source but when I try to install ScummVM the download fails telling me "404 File not found".
Is this something the ScummVM team can fix?

Update, Nov 14: Works now. :)