Making changes to the UI doable?

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's PocketPC/HandheldPC port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Bobbin Threadbare

Making changes to the UI doable?

Post by Bobbin Threadbare »

Hi I have decided to try and teach my self some C++,

I love scummvm and have a wvga phone and would like to try and give it proper support.

By this i mean use the 640x480 left hand of the screen for the actual game and then have a menu bar on the right 160x480 pixels. which can be used for a keyboard etc.

This is quite ambitious and im sure to fail miserably but can any one offer any advice on the best practice to go ahead with this?

Also are all scummvm games 4:3 aspect ratio?
Last edited by Bobbin Threadbare on Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

The best thing for you would be to work on our virtual keyboard code which can serve your purposes.

Eugene
Bobbin Threadbare

Hi thanks for that.

Also if I have difficulties or don't understand some thing or something where is the best place to post about it? Is there a development forum?

oh and whats the best development tools to use I have visual studio 2008 will that do?

also how do I actually get hold of the pocketPC build of scummvm, ive never working on a big project before and the repository confuses me a bit. Is there a visual studio project that I can start with or will I have to build this myself?

many thanks
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Bobbin Threadbare wrote:Hi thanks for that.

Also if I have difficulties or don't understand some thing or something where is the best place to post about it? Is there a development forum?

oh and whats the best development tools to use I have visual studio 2008 will that do?

also how do I actually get hold of the pocketPC build of scummvm, ive never working on a big project before and the repository confuses me a bit. Is there a visual studio project that I can start with or will I have to build this myself?

many thanks
IRC or the -devel list (you can find that one out on the SF.net page for ScummVM) are good places to ask :)

As for development tools... Visual Studio works fine, as do other tools like gcc

The visual studio solution is at trunk\dists\msvc9\scummvm.sln (for Visual Studio 2008, substitute msvc9 with msvc8 for 2005)

There are detailed instructions to get started in our wiki :)
http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Developer_Central
and
http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Compi ... ual_Studio
for Visual Studio
Bobbin Threadbare

Ok well im using the source code for 1.0.0rc1 (how do i get latest or older source code?)

anyway I'm having a problem installing the libraries.

I have downloaded the precompiled folder. after extracting i run install.bat (as administator) and I get the following message

"You haven't uncompressed the compressed file maintaining directory structure
Installation will now stop
Uncompress it again, maintaining directory structure

Press any key to continue . . ."

to uncompress i simply right click and say extract all how could i have not kept the structure?

then i followed the sectiond under "Adding all libraries to Visual Studio - Second method: Tell VC++ where to look " I think i have done everything in there apart from "and that nasmw.exe in that folder has been copied to nasm.exe" I don't understand how to do this and in that folder there is only a file called nasm.exe anyway

anyway thats what ive done but when i press build solution i get lots of errors 9000 before i broke the compile.

other strange thing i noticed is when i look at some code of a split second it looks ok and then it all turns grey which seems very odd.

The other thing is msvc9 seems to be for windows, is it also used for windows mobile? going to project properties i didnt seem to be able to choose windows mobile as the platform

any help on these matters is much appreciated. (sorry for the complete ignorance I try my best but this will be my first go at c++ and will take some work)

***Edit*** forgot to mention im running windows 7 rc x64 could this be causing any of my problems?