Monkey Island 2 - background Midi's overlapping?

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Sierra13

Monkey Island 2 - background Midi's overlapping?

Post by Sierra13 »

Hello,

First, i would like to thank the SCUMMVM community for this wonderful s/w. I've known SCUMMVM for quite a while but last week in particular was a good week for me and SCUMMVM.
I finished Monkey Island 1 while Mass Effect for the PC stood in the corner (and i didn't play the 360 version...).

If you may, i have an odd question concerning Monkey Island 2.
My version is DOS/English. While playing the game i noticed that there is an underlying sound track that continues to play also when the front music changes.
Its like the game has a constant background track and a location specific track and they play together.

Is this normal?
A good example would be the map screen which has its own track.

Thank you,
Sierra13
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Hello

This is quite an old bug with MI2, check here:
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.ph ... tid=418820

This bug can't be reliably reproduced, hence its hard to fix it :(
Sierra13

Post by Sierra13 »

2004. wow. good catch.
Well, understand it better now. i will try to persevere.
many thanks!

Well, at least using "imuse stop all" resets the music and puts it back to normal so at least there is a workaround.
Stratoukos

Post by Stratoukos »

Reviving an old thread here, but exactly the same thing happened to me.

The music from the carnival in booty island loops endlessly in the background and any other music track plays normally on top of the booty track.

"imuse stop all" fixed it for me but as I see it's a difficult bug to reproduce, so I can provide a save file if it will be of any help.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Stratoukos wrote: "imuse stop all" fixed it for me but as I see it's a difficult bug to reproduce, so I can provide a save file if it will be of any help.
A save game from after the problem has happened probably isn't much help, unfortunately. It only shows the current state of things, not how they came to be.
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

Maybe he got a savegame right before booty island?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Raziel wrote:Maybe he got a savegame right before booty island?
That may or may not help. After all, many have played that part of the game without triggering the bug, so it probably only happens under specific circumstances.

(One thing that used to trigger it in the distant past was changing between rooms very quickly, but I only managed to reproduce that when using the "fast mode" feature. And since that is documented to cause trouble in some cases, it doesn't really count.)
Stratoukos

Post by Stratoukos »

Well I don't have a save from before the problem occurred. I don't know if it helps but I had the game on pause (space) for a really long time, but I am not 100% sure if this problem happened before or during the pause.

I have played the game again on v0.12 (now I am on 1.0.0rc1) with the same data files without having this problem

Well here is the save if anyone is interested.
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

This is a obviously bug in the original game. Bits of any music can loop endlessly. I've seen it happen a few times, including the Amiga version. This is very rare, though. And I don't know how to reproduce this.
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

Stratoukos wrote:Well I don't have a save from before the problem occurred. I don't know if it helps but I had the game on pause (space) for a really long time, but I am not 100% sure if this problem happened before or during the pause.

I have played the game again on v0.12 (now I am on 1.0.0rc1) with the same data files without having this problem

Well here is the save if anyone is interested.
WOW, now THATS what i call overlapping music cues :-/
Immediately after loading the state i got two cues overlapping, entering the cemetary makes it worse as the cemetary cue gets added to the kakophonie, sounding bad, bad, baaad...by the way, the speed when "cemetary" or any other location is displayed goes to it's knees...strange

I also got a WARNING i never got before
WARNING: Trying to use unsupported effect level value 64 in native MT-32 mode. Please report this!!
but my MT-32 isn't playing anything, could be a coincidence because @Stratoukos isn't using a real MT-32???
(edit: my bad, i had it set to override global settings, changed it back, but still music cues overlapping ti its max :-()
Anyway i don't think this save is helpful as it seems the flags are already messed up to the top
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

That's a recently introduced warning. It is harmless, probably you got it because of an old save state or savestate not made with native MT-32 mode.
monkeyloop

Post by monkeyloop »

Sierra13 wrote:Well, at least using "imuse stop all" resets the music and puts it back to normal so at least there is a workaround.
Sorry for the stupid question, but where do I type this command?
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

monkeyloop wrote:
Sierra13 wrote:Well, at least using "imuse stop all" resets the music and puts it back to normal so at least there is a workaround.
Sorry for the stupid question, but where do I type this command?
In the debugger, which you should be able to bring up with Ctrl+D.
monkeyloop

Post by monkeyloop »

Thanks, that worked! I think I had at least 3 tracks playing at the same time, what a mess...
ps3d

Post by ps3d »

OK, here's what I found on playing it.

- It is NOT the fault of ScummVM. It is a glitch in the game.
- I found it after staying in the "Villa de la Booty" town more than around 15 seconds.
- Am using Macintosh OS 9, real program (not SCUMMVM)
- Only occurs on Full Mode (not Lite)

I can't access a debugger, though there is a file named "iMuse Setup". Can anyone help me out?