A quick suggestion re the onscreen keyboard

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Nintendo DS port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Graxer

A quick suggestion re the onscreen keyboard

Post by Graxer »

I was switching backwards and forwards from the touchscreen keyboard so that I could use the mouse as well. This is very time-consuming and I relised it would be great if there was the equivelant of a laptop mouse touchpad below the keyboard display. (with left and right mouse buttons of course)

Is this something that could be considered, because it would really be beneficial in more keyboard-reliant games?
Bowen747x

Post by Bowen747x »

i dont think i have had to use the keyboard for anything other than saving, and maybe editing the title of a game or save path or something like that on the main screen... may i ask why you need to use the keyboard so much?
Graxer

Post by Graxer »

With the Sega CD version of The Secret of Monkey Island you need to use the up and down keyboard buttons to select what you say in a converstion. The only way to do this is to bring up the keyboard, click up and down, then close the keyboard and click the screen to confirm it. You have to do this every time you need to make a selection. Its especially annoying as the selection cannot be confirmed with the enter key.

When on a PC the scroller on the mouse works to make selections. This is much easier.

Also with AGI games, such as Space Quest, you type in all the commands on the keyboard. You can also control the character with the keyboard, however if you click on the screen to move the character it is much easier, especially when needing to move diagonally without falling off something.
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

You know, I did think of adding a touchpad underneath the keyboard just a few weeks ago. I haven't done it, but I think it would be useful.

One for the list, I think.
Graxer

Post by Graxer »

Thanks! :) It will really help with the games I mentioned above!
Graxer

Post by Graxer »

Perhaps an easier way to sort out the problem in Monkey Island (Sega CD), that would also be much more convienient for the player, would be to make a setting like "Indy Fighting Controls" that maps the up and down keyboard keys to certain buttons. This would make it possible to play the game without ever using the onscreen keyboard.

What I was thinking of assuming right-handedness:
Up = Up Keyboard Key
Down = Down Keyboard Key
Left = Left Mouse Click
Right = Right Mouse Click