Zip file support, at least in PSP port.

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's PSP (PlayStation Portable) port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Mr.Modem

Zip file support, at least in PSP port.

Post by Mr.Modem »

First I would like to say, Yes I've read your FAQ and know that you don't want to implement zip support in ScummVM. But I think you should consider it, at least in the PSP port. In the windows version I don't care about zip support, my hardrive is big enough to fit all the games I need. But on the PSP is different, every single kb is important. The Broken sword games are huge even if you don't have the sound and movie files. So please at least consider it. Anyway keep up the good work!
clem

Post by clem »

where do you want to extract the zip file to? like you said every kilobyte is prescious (even memory I guess) - and zip files need to be fully decompressed to be of any use

clem
Mr.Modem

Post by Mr.Modem »

The PSPs memory is too small for most files so the files would have to be unzipped to the memory stick. Let's take Broken Sword 1 as an example. The CLU files (without the sound and movies) take about 155 MB. I assume ScummVM only have to use one CLU file at a time, for example it doesn't have to load the Ireland.clu when you're in Paris. All the CLU files zipped (one file in each zip) takes about 61 MB. And at least one CLU file has to be unzipped to play the game. So the total size of the game would be approximately 80 MB. That's 75 MB to use for something else. So can you please tell me if this could be done.
clem

Post by clem »

since you seem to be positive it can be done, I tell you it can be done.

however the FAQ prohibits it (and even if it wasn't prohibited, who'd care enough to implement that?).

clem
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Yes, we explained it in our old forums. Though search there still is not implemented but it will in the future. In short: No, we will not do it.

Eugene
Mr.Modem

Post by Mr.Modem »

Ok, thanks for the answers!