WVGA Devices

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's PocketPC/HandheldPC port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

darthmelk

Post by darthmelk »

You probably know more abut programming and WM devices than I do.

But... Xperia X1 and Touch HD (as well as some other phones) hawe graphic hardware acceleration. Besides that, my X1 is able to scale perfectly any 624x258, 480x272 or other videos. They play at full fps and the scaling to 800x480 doesn't make them look bad.

Maybe it's different for apps, but I still think any modern PPC can upscale a 320x200 animation to 768x480 like it's done for the pictures or video.
Lostech

Post by Lostech »

darthmelk wrote:But... Xperia X1 and Touch HD (as well as some other phones) hawe graphic hardware acceleration.
Nice for them... but most existing WinCE/Windows Mobile devices doesn´t have a graphics accelaration and enough memory for that type of scaling. I still don´t believe that a general WinCE port of ScummVM (or any other app) is able to do this type of scaling in realtime.
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

I think that some of the later Windows Mobile devices has Open GLES acceleration, and you could perhaps use that to stretch.

There is talk about a new SDL+ backend, which could include new support for GL and also GLES support, which also could be used for the Windows Mobile version, but again this is in the future. (Perhaps a GSOC task, who knowns)
darthmelk

Post by darthmelk »

Lostech wrote:Nice for them... but most existing WinCE/Windows Mobile devices doesn´t have a graphics accelaration and enough memory for that type of scaling. I still don´t believe that a general WinCE port of ScummVM (or any other app) is able to do this type of scaling in realtime.
I am talking about scaling beyond VGA. I'm guessing all devices with WVGA screens have enough power. Xperia X1, Touch HD, HTC Diamond 2, HTC Touch Pro 2, Toshiba G900, G910 all heve processors beyond 500 MHz.

The low-end devices wouldn't need to scale, so I don't see your point.
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

That kind of scaling would require lots of cpu, and 500 mhz windows mobile is not that great actually. So hw support is the best thing.
marajin

Post by marajin »

Let's be fair, any device that has that kinda power and screen pretty much automatically has hardware accelerated graphics, but on the other hand most devices (all maybe?) that are mentioned here at MSM based which is shockingly poor at acceleration, though there remains a debate as to whether this is a hardware issue or a driver issue, with leanings towards it still being a driver issue.

I do have an Xperia X1 and I would like to see something that would at least fix the alignment issue if nothing else, it's probably worth doing as WVGA is appearing to become a ludicrously common resolution in new devices. (Touch HD, Touch Pro 2, Xperia X1, and god knows how many others already mentioned in here). I suspect WVGA is intended to be the new mid-to-high range screen standard for Windows Mobile devices.

Edit: Just been reading at http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=5092 <-- There was mention there of someone providing WVGA fixes for the alignment and yet nearly a year later this doesn't appear to be present, did this turn out to be a non working fix?
Lostech

Post by Lostech »

I personally think that these feature requests here should not be solved with the regular WinCE port since also every existing PDA/MDA has an aspect ratio of 4:3 with standard resolutions and I don´t believe that this unusual screen size/AR of the omnia models (and a few other phones) will succeed in general for all those MDA/PDA devices. On the other hand it could be perhaps possible to split the WinCE port in 2 forks with the general WinCE/WinMobile port as it it today and a "special" port for those device with unusual screen sizes and hardware acceleration. But then an additional maintainer would be needed.
tetzlaff

Post by tetzlaff »

marajin wrote: Edit: Just been reading at http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=5092 <-- There was mention there of someone providing WVGA fixes for the alignment and yet nearly a year later this doesn't appear to be present, did this turn out to be a non working fix?
I always wondered that too. I was asked to "enter an item at our patch tracker ", but I never figured out how/where to do that. The fixes I described for the keyboard and wvga worked for me. I played through Monkey Island 2, without any problems at all. And I have to disagree with Lostech a little bit. I think the wvga should be fixed in the main build.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

tetzlaff wrote:
marajin wrote: Edit: Just been reading at http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=5092 <-- There was mention there of someone providing WVGA fixes for the alignment and yet nearly a year later this doesn't appear to be present, did this turn out to be a non working fix?
I always wondered that too. I was asked to "enter an item at our patch tracker ", but I never figured out how/where to do that. The fixes I described for the keyboard and wvga worked for me. I played through Monkey Island 2, without any problems at all. And I have to disagree with Lostech a little bit. I think the wvga should be fixed in the main build.
You mean you didn't notice the "Tracker->Patches" link in the project's SF.net home page? Here's the link:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_ ... tid=418822
tetzlaff

Post by tetzlaff »

:oops: I just took a look at the problem again, and I think this is not a ScummVM problem. All of the files I patched were all SDL-1.2.6 Library files, not ScummVM files. I gotta think about this a little more.
darthmelk

Post by darthmelk »

Just a quick question:

How does ScummVM work fullscreen on an iPhone???

Someone wrote here that there's no way to use a 2.4 multiplier when making a 320x200 game fullscreen to 800x480. But I see that the iPhone version manages to do that (1.5 or 1.6 multiplier) on a 480x320 screen.

If iPhone can play a 320x200 game fullscreen on a 480x320 screen, why can't Windows Mobile users play it in 800x480 fullscreen????
harvey 73

Post by harvey 73 »

Just to confirm I have scummvm working perfectly on a HTC Touch HD device.

You need a copy of WGVAFIX3.

You can get a free copy over at xda developers. Just do a search!

Been playing Broken Sword on my pocket pc and it's awesome.

Keep up the good work.
robinwatts
ScummVM Developer

Post by robinwatts »

I did some work on the WinCE ports handling of large screens about a month ago. You should find that new builds cope much better now.

We still won't fill a 800x480 screen, but at least the cursor will be correctly positioned, and the 640x480 that *is* used will be updated a lot faster.

Robin