Loom and The Dig "Steam" versions.

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Macfly77

Loom and The Dig "Steam" versions.

Post by Macfly77 »

I purchased "Loom" and "The Dig" on Steam but they won't run on my Mac (in CrossOver Games).
For Loom, i located the files needed to play the game with ScummVM (DISK01.LEC and the .LFL files) and copied them in a new folder but when I try to add the game in ScummVM, I get the message "ScummVM could not find any game in the specified directory!".
As for The Dig, I can't even find the DIG.LA0 file in the game's Steam directory.
Am I doing something wrong?
Charlii

Post by Charlii »

The steam versions areen't supported. Sorry.
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

some of the required datafiles are hardcoded into the steam executable.
Macfly77

Post by Macfly77 »

Jonatan wrote:some of the required datafiles are hardcoded into the steam executable.
OK. Thank you!
At least, by purchasing "Loom" for Steam, I also got a free download of the FM-Towns version of the game, which works in ScummVM just fine and both games (Loom and The Dig) work fine in Steam on my PC.
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

Macfly77 wrote:
Jonatan wrote:some of the required datafiles are hardcoded into the steam executable.
OK. Thank you!
At least, by purchasing "Loom" for Steam, I also got a free download of the FM-Towns version of the game, which works in ScummVM just fine and both games (Loom and The Dig) work fine in Steam on my PC.
I never heard they also offer the FM-Towns version via Steam, when you buy the DOS CD version.
Macfly77

Post by Macfly77 »

LordHoto wrote:
Macfly77 wrote:
OK. Thank you!
I never heard they also offer the FM-Towns version via Steam, when you buy the DOS CD version.
Click LINK CENSORED DUE TO VIOLATING FORUM RULE #0 for the details.
ezekiel000

Post by ezekiel000 »

I thought that was already discussed and found to be illegal and unofficial.
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

Macfly77 wrote:
LordHoto wrote:I never heard they also offer the FM-Towns version via Steam, when you buy the DOS CD version.
Click LINK CENSORED DUE TO VIOLATING FORUM RULE #0 for the details.
Well nobody gives you the right to download the FM-Towns version, just because you bought Loom on Steam. I had to censor that link, since it does contain a link to illegal content. Furthermore you get a warning, because of violating forum rule #0.
Macfly77

Post by Macfly77 »

LordHoto wrote:
Macfly77 wrote:
LordHoto wrote:I never heard they also offer the FM-Towns version via Steam, when you buy the DOS CD version.
Click LINK CENSORED DUE TO VIALTING FORUM RULE #0 for the details.
Well nobody gives you the right to download the FM-Towns version, just because you bought Loom on Steam. I had to censor that link, since it does contain a link to illegal content. Furthermore you get a warning, because of violating forum rule #0.
Thanks for the warning! I'm glad I asked for you people's help!
I did a Google search for "Loom Steam review" to see if the game was worth downloading and the censored link was the second result in my search. How am I supposed to know that it's an illegal download?
And also, since you were obviously aware of the website, why are you pretending not to understand my previous post instead of warning me against posting the link?
You make me real happy to support ScummVM at this time :x
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

Macfly77 wrote:I did a Google search for "Loom Steam review" to see if the game was worth downloading and the censored link was the second result in my search. How am I supposed to know that it's an illegal download?
You might want to check out the law of your state/country for that. And/or the license agreements which usually come with software.
Macfly77 wrote:And also, since you were obviously aware of the website, why are you pretending not to understand my previous post instead of warning me against posting the link?
Actually I never saw the site before. I just got to know it by checked out your link. I expected you were downloading the FM-Towns version illegaly (yeah I know I should rather expect people to be innocent), since in the past many people thought that just because they own one version of the game gives them the right to download all the others too.
Macfly77

Post by Macfly77 »

LordHoto wrote:
Macfly77 wrote:I did a Google search for "Loom Steam review" to see if the game was worth downloading and the censored link was the second result in my search. How am I supposed to know that it's an illegal download?
You might want to check out the law of your state/country for that. And/or the license agreements which usually come with software.
Macfly77 wrote:And also, since you were obviously aware of the website, why are you pretending not to understand my previous post instead of warning me against posting the link?
Actually I never saw the site before. I just got to know it by checked out your link. I expected you were downloading the FM-Towns version illegaly (yeah I know I should rather expect people to be innocent), since in the past many people thought that just because they own one version of the game gives them the right to download all the others too.
Sorry if I sounded harsh in my last post.
I just felt like you accused me of promoting piracy, which I was not (I own a physical - and official - copy of every game I play on ScummVM, except for Flight of the Amazon Queen, Beneath a Steel Sky, Drascula and Lure of the Temptress, which I downloaded on this website).
I have now deleted from my computer the copy of Loom I downloaded from that website until I know whether it's legal or not (but from what I've now read elsewhere on this forum, its legality is quite doubtful).
Thanks for warning me about its likely illegality, though. :wink:
jbug99

Extracting dig.la0 and getting The Dig to work with ScummVM

Post by jbug99 »

2 Minute Quick Installation Guide for The DIG (Steam) to run within ScummVM

Some people have said The Dig works with Steam automatically but that wasn't the case when I tested it.
Tested on Win7 32Bit OS and Uses all 32Bit Py Libraries etc. for The Dig.
Most people will need the x64 versions. You may use the same versions, but choose the x64 alternative instead.
I just did this to see whether I could get ScummVM to work with the Steam version of The DIG and assess any advantages.
The graphics scaling options are the biggest benefit, as you can set the screen res and filtering to your preference.

Problem:
http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Datafiles#Dig.2C_The lists the files required to run the game in ScummVM.
'dig.la0' does not exist in the Steam version of The DIG.
This is the workaround for legal owners of the game.

FILES USED:

A:
PyWin32 - Libraries to run Python language programs within Windows
https://sourceforge.net/projects/pywin3 ... ild%20217/
File used: pywin32-217.win32-py2.7.exe
Homepage: http://pywin32.sourceforge.net/

B:
LAAExtract - Extracts files from other files. In this case ie: The Dig La0 from the Steam installation of The Dig.
https://github.com/symm/LAAExtract
Info: https://github.com/symm/LAAExtract/blob ... E.markdown
Instructions:
"Windows: Make sure you have Python for Windows extensions installed. Choose your Steam Apps directory in the popup dialog"

At this point, go to Step 1. If it fails return here.
Because I did this in a hurry I'm not sure whether the next items are required or not.
If you run LAAExtract and it fails to do anything, continue below and install WxPython.

C:
WxPython - Adds windows extensions to Windows to support Python files (?)
https://sourceforge.net/projects/wxpyth ... n/2.7.1.3/
wxPython2.7-win32-unicode-2.7.1.3-py25.exe 2006-10-26 7.1 MB
Again, you will need to x64 version in most cases.
Try and run LAAExtract again. If it fails, continue to download Python below.

D:
Python - The python libraries - for Windows
https://www.python.org/downloads/release/python-2713/
File used: https://www.python.org/ftp/python/2.7.1 ... 2.7.13.msi
You will probably want this version (x64) instead: https://www.python.org/ftp/python/2.7.1 ... .amd64.msi

My Tip: Point it to "C:\Steam\steamapps\common" for example, and hit Enter/OK.

---

Usage:
0] Get files A and B first and attempt steps 1 onwards.
If LAAExtract fails to run, install file C. Repeat. If it still fails, get file D as well and retry.
1] Install PyWin32 2.17 above
2] Unzip LAAExtract into a folder (ie: C:\Temp)
3] Double click LAAExtract
4] Choose your steamapps\common folder.
5] The files are extracted into a folder called DIG in my case.
Move the La0 file into the steamapps\common\The DIG Folder and then run ScummVM.
6] Add the game to the list of ScummVM games - it should show The Dig (Steam) as the version.
7] Run it

*Note - No reboots are required for the installations. You can safely uninstall ALL of the above after the process is complete and then continue to use ScummVM.

The Steam version does run in a window and if you right click the title bar there are dithering and other options.
Alt-Enter also switches full and windowed modes.

Screenshots available upon request.
Hope this helps anyone wanting to play The DIG (Steam) with ScummVM. Screenshots available upon request.
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

Congratulation, you have unearthed a 8 years old thread! :P

That will give me the opportunity to indicate that since version 1.7.0 (released three years ago) ScummVM supports playing the Steam versions (both Windows and Mac) of Loom and The Dig directly without having to do any special manipulation.

In the case of The Dig for example, for the Windows versions point ScummVM to the directory that contains The Dig.exe (the executable is needed since the dig.la0 data file has been embedded into the executable for the Steam version of the game) and for the Mac version, pout ScummVM to The Dig.app bundle.
jbug99

Post by jbug99 »

Hi Criezy,
Yes I realise it's an old thread, however, ScummVM wasn't detecting my Steam version for whatever reason. Either way I'm glad it works and I figured I'd leave my findings for someone else who wanted to enjoy the game within ScummVM.
Anyway great work on ScummVM.
Cheers
Ohrwerk

Re: Loom and The Dig "Steam" versions.

Post by Ohrwerk »

I was looking for a longer time to run "The Dig" with the Steam version in ScummVM. Even though the post is old.
The suggestion of "jbug99" is very complex. So I took a closer look...

The Steam version of "The DIG" is missing the file "DIG.LA0", so ScummVM cannot recognize the game when you select the game folder. This file was integrated in "The Dig.exe" in the Steam version .

Solutions:
a) Select in SCUMMVM the directory
"..\steamapps\common\The Dig" and not
"...\steamapps\common\The Dig\DIG", then ScummVM will find the game.

b) Open the file "..\steamapps\common\The Dig\The Dig.exe" in HxD (Hex Editor), select Block
from 53298 (Text: RNAN) to 57247 (Text: breaths1.) in HEX (Length: 3FB0) and save the section as "DIG.LA0".

c) Buy on GOG

Also, you can play the Steam version under DOS. I don't know if this is also the case in the GOG version.
Need also the File DIG.LA0

Copy the folder "...\steamapps\common\The Dig\DIG" to C:
Create a ISO Image with IMGBurn of "...\steamapps\common\The Dig\DIG".
Burn the Image to CD or use it with Emulation.
The CD Image must include the Folder DIG in root.

Change drive to your CD(Image) in prompt
Example D:

Use this command to start the game:
C:\DIG\DOS4GW.EXE C:\DIG\DIG.EXE

Example for DOSBOX.Conf

Code: Select all

[autoexec]
@echo off
mount C "..\The DIG"
imgmount d "..\The DIG\DIG.iso" -t iso
D:
C:\DIG\DOS4GW.EXE C:\DIG\DIG.EXE