The 7th guest videosound stutters (HTC touch pro)

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's PocketPC/HandheldPC port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Nicoenb

The 7th guest videosound stutters (HTC touch pro)

Post by Nicoenb »

Hello,

I was wondering if there was a possibility to prevent the videosound from stuttering. I tried to lower the bitrate of the sound, but that didn't work. I changed some other things but nothing helped. And disabling the touchflo, to free some memory, didn't work either.

BTW "Zaphod Beeblebrox" for open house doesn't seems to work.

Kind regards,

Nicoenb
spookypeanut
ScummVM Developer

Post by spookypeanut »

I only noticed stuttering when playing the cd audio part of the intro (ie it's decoding an mp3 stream at the same time as decoding the video). I'm gonna take a look at that at some point. I don't notice any stuttering during speech. Mine is a 650MHz ish device, what speed is yours? Any chance you could record the stuttering to give us an idea of the seriousness?

The Zaphod Beeblebrox probably doesn't work because it's case-sensitive, I think, and the ScummVM keyboard (iirc?) doesn't have a shift key.
rolfkunst

Post by rolfkunst »

First of all, how dit you manage to get t7g to work with windows Mobile 6? It was always a great game to me. I try it once more.
jalind

Post by jalind »

rolfkunst wrote:First of all, how dit you manage to get t7g to work with windows Mobile 6? It was always a great game to me. I try it once more.
I have an iPaq 211 (aka 210) PDA with Win Mobile 6.x (Classic) and it runs OK. Installed ScummVM 0.13.1 per the pair of "sticky" tutorials, created a shortcut to ScummVM2 (the one that handles Groovie). Runs a bit slower than I'm accustomed to . . . but I've been playing it in ScummVM on a high end desktop and laptop (high speed dual-core processors with substantial video graphics horsepower). Runs about the same as I remember it did originally on a '386 DOS machine I had 15 years ago (other than the Midi playback).

The HP iPaq has two flash drive slots, one for an SD(HC) card and the other for a Compact Flash drive (I use both slots). I installed ScummVM on the SDHC card, not in main PDA memory . . . and strongly recommend *not* installing ScummVM in main on-board memory . . . or any games . . . it consumes a lot of space. Put it on an SD card. Everything runs just fine from it for me.

Then I created a directory inside the ScummVM program directory for T7G and loaded all the files used by 7th Guest for the WinXP version of ScummVM . . . including the pair of MP3 files needed for intro and ending music (these need to be "ripped" from the original CD; nice but not essential). See the Wiki for files needed and how to create the pair of MP3s.

Started up ScummVM2, pointed it to the T7G folder, and Bob's Your Uncle . . . it worked. The HP iPaq 210/211 have a 640x480 screen that works well. Midi is another story . . . which T7G uses heavily . . . you get music, but it's not the best :wink: and I'll post another thread about Midi in general. Visited ScummVM configuration a few times to set volumes, and tweak a couple other things. If you do something "dumb" and the program won't start, simply dump the extra configuration files that get created during ScummVM setup (on its configuration screen), and start over.

Overall I'm extremely impressed with the WinCE port!
rolfkunst

Post by rolfkunst »

I have the Ipaq 214 also with a VGA so it shouldn't be a problem. I give it another try. I will let you know. Thanks.. :lol:
jalind

Post by jalind »

rolfkunst wrote:I have the Ipaq 214 also with a VGA so it shouldn't be a problem. I give it another try. I will let you know. Thanks.. :lol:
The T7G cursor will be funky looking as the WinCE port doesn't support custom color-pallet cursors yet. The various cursors show up, but look like "line-art" versions. It's a known and documented "need" for the WinCE port. The iPaq mono speaker (and I suspect other PDA/SmartPhone) speakers are not the best. I use headphones when playing . . . much better!

Just tap the screen with the stylus where you want to go and basically forget about the cursor. Tap again if it all it does is move the cursor there (occasionally happens). If you've played the game on a PC much, you should remember where the "hot spots" are for movement. I can move the funky T7G cursor around in short jumps using the "D" pad, hunting for the "hot spots" but it's more work than it's worth. Have to remind myself the game was made for a '386 DOS (or Win3.1) PC with mouse, 3D graphics acceleration, and SoundBlaster with Midi support at the time just before Win95 was released . . . not a PDA with stylus. :)

One of the classics with true 3D graphics that pushed games onto CDs and thousands of PC owners to buy CD players for their PCs . . . in addition to better VGA graphics cards.