Playing Monkey Island SE on ScummVM!

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

billwashere

Re: Playing Monkey Island SE on ScummVM!

Post by billwashere »

MusicallyInspired wrote:??? I think you mean SMI:SE. Steam works fine in Wine and Steam has nothing to do with Direct2Drive.
I'm an idiot.
dbzdeath wrote:If someone knows how to modify SCUMMVM source to be compatible with the new version
There are many problems with this.
1) Legal
2) Audio is in XWB (Xbox Wave Bank) files. These are a closed source format and there are no open source codecs so there will be no sound. A way around this would to re-encode them and upload them as ogg/flac/what ever files. This could cause legal actions
3) As mention by bobdevis. The pixel shader effects.
4) Different file types http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.p ... did=199164

This is just to name a few
ezekiel000 wrote:Well steam is known to work with wine: http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.p ... n&iId=1554
Thanks ezekiel000, for the heads up.

billwashere wrote: 10 ) TODO: Files are in the wrong order but will play.
Can anyone figure out the track list. I do not own the cd version so i can not verify the track list without playing monkey island on ScummVM, then on Monkey Island SE

Bill
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

billwashere wrote:
dbzdeath wrote:If someone knows how to modify SCUMMVM source to be compatible with the new version
1) Legal
2) Audio is in XWB (Xbox Wave Bank) files. These are a closed source format and there are no open source codecs so there will be no sound. A way around this would to re-encode them and upload them as ogg/flac/what ever files. This could cause legal actions
3) As mention by bobdevis. The pixel shader effects.
4) Different file types http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.p ... did=199164

This is just to name a few

Bill
I think we established that dbzdeath was talking about the SCUMM games that have been re-released on Steam. Not SMI:SE.
billwashere

Post by billwashere »

Once again, i'm an idiot. Think i might keep quite for a while.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Red_Breast wrote: I think we established that dbzdeath was talking about the SCUMM games that have been re-released on Steam. Not SMI:SE.
He was asking about the "new version(the new textures and new sounds)" in a thread titled "Playing Monkey Island SE on ScummVM". I don't see how that could be anything else than SMI:SE.

(In which case his question has been answered pretty thoroughly by now.)
Charlii

Post by Charlii »

So, anyone tried extracting the Scumm-files from the iPhone application yet?
Espiox

Post by Espiox »

mac_es wrote:@dbzdeath

There is a project to include speech into the old game. They are getting ready for a test

Code: Select all

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=199288
Yep, and we're looking for people to play the game and help us fix a few remaining problems. I should have a installation batch file ready soon, but until then you can find everything you need to know in that thread. All you need (aside from the relevant tools) is a copy of MI:SE (and optionally the CD version of MI1, but you can actually get that from the SE datafiles).
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

eriktorbjorn wrote:
Red_Breast wrote: I think we established that dbzdeath was talking about the SCUMM games that have been re-released on Steam. Not SMI:SE.
He was asking about the "new version(the new textures and new sounds)" in a thread titled "Playing Monkey Island SE on ScummVM". I don't see how that could be anything else than SMI:SE.

(In which case his question has been answered pretty thoroughly by now.)

So Mac-es, from first page, was wrong?

"dbzdeath is referring to this post from sev:

http://sev-notes.blogspot.com/2009/07/s ... ummvm.html "

Without dbzdeath we'll never know.
Whatever that's the reason why I posted that.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Red_Breast wrote: So Mac-es, from first page, was wrong?

"dbzdeath is referring to this post from sev:

http://sev-notes.blogspot.com/2009/07/s ... ummvm.html "

Without dbzdeath we'll never know.
Whatever that's the reason why I posted that.
That's probably where dbzdeath got the impression that supporting the special edition of Monkey Island was a simple five-minute hack. But sev wrote that article before the special edition was released, so he was clearly talking about the other SCUMM games that were released on Steam.

And this thread is - or was - apparently about extracting the original version Monkey Island (possibly with the new music, but without speech or new graphics) from the special edition.
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

Charlii wrote:So, anyone tried extracting the Scumm-files from the iPhone application yet?
Yep. One big difference is that the audio is in .caf format (Apple's Core Audio File). The classic stuff is the same, as far as I can tell.
Charlii

Post by Charlii »

So I can buy this, play the new version on my iPhone and then extract the classic version with a few clicks (converting the music with QuickTime Pro) and then play my perfectly legal copy of the classic MI using ScummVM? Yay!
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

Charlii wrote:So I can buy this, play the new version on my iPhone and then extract the classic version with a few clicks (converting the music with QuickTime Pro) and then play my perfectly legal copy of the classic MI using ScummVM? Yay!
Assuming there's nothing in the App Store license that prevents that (IANAL), yes.

EDIT: There's an audio converter called Switch which can directly batch convert from .caf to .mp3.
Last edited by Vinterstum on Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Charlii

Post by Charlii »

I'm not very good at reading legal texts, but the iTunes Store terms state that I have the right to copy a product for personal use, and that I can use it on up to five machines. The only catch would be if this counted as circumventing the DRM, but I can't really see how that would be the case since I'm only using Apple's built-in tools to copy a set of files...
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

billwashere wrote:
1) Legal
This is wrong argument, i.e. implementing such support will not violate the laws.

Eugene
bobdevis

Post by bobdevis »

sev wrote: This is wrong argument, i.e. implementing such support will not violate the laws.
Eugene
We are talking about MI1SE right? There is DRM in there so ScummVM support would effectively be a crack, if you look at it in a shortsighted way.
marzipan

Post by marzipan »

Vinterstum wrote:EDIT: There's an audio converter called Switch which can directly batch convert from .caf to .mp3.
According to my experience just now it doesn't seem to recognise .caf files. =\