FTP on mac osx into iphone 3.0

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's iPhone port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

n64play

FTP on mac osx into iphone 3.0

Post by n64play »

I've just installed scummvm on my iphone3g, with 3.0. I've typed in the ip address of the iphone, and the username "root" and password "alpine" using Cyberduck, on port 21. It refuses to connect. Anyone know why?
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Re: FTP on mac osx into iphone 3.0

Post by Vinterstum »

n64play wrote:I've just installed scummvm on my iphone3g, with 3.0. I've typed in the ip address of the iphone, and the username "root" and password "alpine" using Cyberduck, on port 21. It refuses to connect. Anyone know why?
Make sure you've installed OpenSSH in Cydia. And make sure you're connecting using SFTP, not plain FTP.
n64play

Post by n64play »

Thanks for that, I've logged in and can access the var/root/ folder. I made a new folder, added some games, but the folder itself doesn't show when I go into scummvm on the iphone. Any ideas?
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

n64play wrote:Thanks for that, I've logged in and can access the var/root/ folder. I made a new folder, added some games, but the folder itself doesn't show when I go into scummvm on the iphone. Any ideas?
According to the instructions on the wiki for the firmware 3.0 the games should be copied in /var/mobile and not /var/root (which was for firmware 1.1.2 and older).
Ayjona

Post by Ayjona »

criezy wrote:
n64play wrote:Thanks for that, I've logged in and can access the var/root/ folder. I made a new folder, added some games, but the folder itself doesn't show when I go into scummvm on the iphone. Any ideas?
According to the instructions on the wiki for the firmware 3.0 the games should be copied in /var/mobile and not /var/root (which was for firmware 1.1.2 and older).
Which is not possible with most bigger games, since /var/mobile rests on the /dev/disk0s1 partition, which is only 500 mb big.

Also, if OpenSSH is needed, it would be great if anyone could add that to the wiki. The OP's problem stems from th fact that the wiki never mentions OpenSSH.

I would add it myself, but I don't have editing rights (nor a user), as the wiki is not open to registration.
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

Ayjona wrote:
Which is not possible with most bigger games, since /var/mobile rests on the /dev/disk0s1 partition, which is only 500 mb big.
Hmm? /var/mobile is on the user partition, which contains all MP3s, appstore apps, videos, etc, and not the 500 mb system partition.

Ayjona wrote:The OP's problem stems from th fact that the wiki never mentions OpenSSH.
No, the OP was using FTP instead of SFTP :).
ricksauer

Post by ricksauer »

I'm using Windows, so it may be a little different.

BUT,

I use a program called DiskAid that lets me copy files via USB cable. http://www.digidna.net/diskaid/download.php (Available for both MS and Mac)

By selecting the media folder in the bottom left I'm taken straight to /User/Media

From there I've just created a new folder called scummgames, dumped my stuff in there.

When I go to add a game from the console, just navigate to /User/Media/scummgames/gamename and away you go.
Ayjona

Post by Ayjona »

Vinterstum wrote:Hmm? /var/mobile is on the user partition, which contains all MP3s, appstore apps, videos, etc, and not the 500 mb system partition.
I stand corrected. Gladly, since it means less problems for me :wink:
Ayjona wrote:No, the OP was using FTP instead of SFTP :).
Yep, that as well. But the OP also did not mention installing OpenSSH on his or her phone, and the wiki did not mention OpenSSH by the time this thread was created, so even if the OP had been using SFTP, he or she would not have been able to connect to his or her phone :wink:

Anyways, at my request, the wiki was updated to include the OpenSSH info, so I'm satisfied.